Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #196
randyho
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Great updates, guys. My experience mountain-biking in that neighborhood was that, at a certain point, breathing hard was a waste of time, there just wasn't enough air for someone used to sea level and it was just more exercise. Try not to inhale each other .
The hydration tips above held true to my experience. You're losing water not just from sweat but from breathing, but you probably know that.
Keep it up!
randyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #197
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
After being out west...

...what will living back east be like for you?

Living in the midwest has been murder for me after exploring the Rockies on a dual sport. I'm retiring next year and moving to Salt Lake City. I don't know anything beyond that. I don't care. All I know is I just have to "be there." Can't wait...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #198
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
just checked the Spot.
have fun in Utah. if you're killing time there's an easy ride right off 191 south of Moab.... if you're into the history kind of thing. Steen's Road. Leads to the Mi-Vida mine that put Charles Steen (and Moab) in the history books.
(actually just north of Monticello. just before 191/46 junc)
its a maintained road to within about 1/4 mile or so of the old mine. after that, it had some ruts. no idea of the condition of the road out there now.

approximate:
N38* 11'24.41 W109* 15'36.34
(38.190114 -109.260095 depending on the coord type)

there was some old abandoned equipment leftovers up there way back when i was up there.

pics are on panoramio / google maps / google earth

have fun!!! :)

b1pig screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 02:33 PM
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #199
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
just checked the Spot.
have fun in Utah. if you're killing time there's an easy ride right off 191 south of Moab.... if you're into the history kind of thing. Steen's Road. Leads to the Mi-Vida mine that put Charles Steen (and Moab) in the history books.
(actually just north of Monticello. just before 191/46 junc)
its a maintained road to within about 1/4 mile or so of the old mine. after that, it had some ruts. no idea of the condition of the road out there now.

approximate:
N38* 11'24.41 W109* 15'36.34
(38.190114 -109.260095 depending on the coord type)

have fun!!! :)
Thanks for the tip. We will go check it out as we are in TAT / sightseeing mode now...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #200
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

there are some open shaft, possibly for ventilation east of the main shaft, down the trail near the old air pump thing. also, nice views of the La Sal mountains if the visibility is clear. I love Moab. truly. i've gotten to go twice in my life and i hope i get to do so again... many times more.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #201
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Day 16

Day 16

Well as you all know we did not make it to our destination of Dale City last night. We instead holed up in Rico at the Rico Hotel.

The rooms were tiny but the lobby of the hotel made up for it.

Another cool thing was the 1953 Ford pumper that was next to the Rico fire station.

Today was our day to say goodbye to the Rockies. We headed up out of the town and got back on the trail. The views were pretty nice, just as nice as the past couple of days in Colorado.

Little did we know, Colorado had one last parting shot for us.

The trail started out smooth but quickly turned into a road paved with rocks about the size of your fist. We came across our first road with a fence shortly after getting on the road.

Esp41 decided halfway up a hill climb that he was feeling bad about my drop count outpacing his. He found a nice stump, which he used to try and rip his petcock out of his tank, his tank was leaking when we got to the top. Fortunately his petcock was not damaged and he was able to screw it in and stop the fuel leak. I don’t have any good photos of the trail but I do have a video complete with cows…

That little piece of trail was the last challenge that Colorado would give us.

From here on out it was pretty tame with nice gravel roads and plenty of washboards.

And not much more in the way of peaks.

On the way out we ran into Dan and Dori. Dan was riding a Honda XR650R and Dori was on a KLX 250. Its nice to see girls out riding.

They were enjoying a nice holiday biking and had covered a lot of miles. Dan gave us lots of info on the area and things to look for. We soon had to say goodbye.

Colorado gave one last gift to Esp41.

Yep he had something in his shirt stinging him. It is no more.

We did finally run across some of the area where the forest fires had hit.

Not too bad and mother nature has already started to replant.

We saw the Dolores Canyon off to our right and finally found a good place to take a photo.

We then started down to the Dolores river canyon.

And here we go up and out of the canyon.

Yet another homestead ready for habitation.

And finally this is the view of the Abajo Mountains where our destination for the night lies.

A short hop in the rain got us into town. We were covered with dust and mud. We found a self serve car wash to clean up, so a hotel would hopefully take us in. The Inn at the Canyons is providing comfort for us as I type this.

Tomorrow could be Moab.

07 WR 450F
Old 07-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #202
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Carry lots of extra water in moab. I went thru there yesterday and carried an extra 3 liters. I picked u0 an evaporative coolong vest at arrowhead sports too and it really does make a big difference. Too hot. Awesome riding tho
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #203
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post
Carry lots of extra water in moab. I went thru there yesterday and carried an extra 3 liters. I picked u0 an evaporative coolong vest at arrowhead sports too and it really does make a big difference. Too hot. Awesome riding tho
Now are we going to need the extra water on the way up to Moab? We are going to sight see a bit and check out a vintage bike race before we head to Moab?
07 WR 450F
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #204
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post
Carry lots of extra water in moab.
i agree. both times i've been there, the humidity was low and the temps were in the mid 80's. felt cool but it was dehydration weather.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #205
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
i agree. both times i've been there, the humidity was low and the temps were in the mid 80's. felt cool but it was dehydration weather.
We have 6 liters of water each so I think we should be ok. We are thinking about white rim when we get up to Moab.
07 WR 450F
Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #206
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Gatoraid

Great ride you guys have going!!!.........Gatoraid is Good on the trail also!!
Staying hydrated is Most Important this time of year!!!
Ride safe guys!!!.......Really enjoying your RR!!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #207
Bigryamaha
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Good reporting

Hey guys. Been reading your posts since before you left. I find myself checking the report a couple of times a day. You make many of us wish we were there. Keep the repots coming. Good work out there. Ps. My "friends" took me through your water crossing on Witt Road in Tellico Plains about 10 minutes into my first ever off road ride. Slippery little spot isn't it?
Bigryamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #208
atomizer
Be here now

Oddometer: 262
YES! Loving it.
atomizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #209
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigryamaha View Post
Hey guys. Been reading your posts since before you left. I find myself checking the report a couple of times a day. You make many of us wish we were there. Keep the repots coming. Good work out there. Ps. My "friends" took me through your water crossing on Witt Road in Tellico Plains about 10 minutes into my first ever off road ride. Slippery little spot isn't it?
Our friend brokenhiplegarm did the equivalent thing to us on our first Hatfield & McCoy trip. Our first trip out, and down a black trail we went. It's great to have "friends"

Glad you have been enjoying the thread. We find that keeping it as "Real Time" as we possibly can keeps everyone reading. It is a lot of work doing it when you are dead tired at the end of the day. But we will keep it going...
07 WR 450F
Old 07-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #210
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKnobby View Post
...what will living back east be like for you?

Living in the midwest has been murder for me after exploring the Rockies on a dual sport. I'm retiring next year and moving to Salt Lake City. I don't know anything beyond that. I don't care. All I know is I just have to "be there." Can't wait...
Living back east sucks... We have Hatfield just 7 hours away and we go as often as we can. But it is where the job is right now, but not forever.
07 WR 450F