Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #211
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Now are we going to need the extra water on the way up to Moab? We are going to sight see a bit and check out a vintage bike race before we head to Moab?
I rode from monticello to moab and was fine on 3l, that was early in the day tho once i hit moab i was drinking a ton. If you have 6l should be good. Seriously check out those vests tho,40 bucks and makes a big difference in comfort.

Thanks for taking the efforr to do the live RR, ive been within a couple days of you guys most of tbe time and enjoyed reading along from my phone.
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #212
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379

We were in that same hotel on June the 11th or 12th when we did our CO/UT TAT ride! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post21477983) No AC and no ice! Food was good at the bar across the street though. Keep story coming!

kingrj screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 05:07 AM
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #213
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Fences in roads?

Hi Guys! Really enjoying your ride! Enjoy Moab, I have traveled that area a few times, great stuff.

You mention fences in the road and showed a picture of one. What happens then? Reroute?

I thought I understood Sam's route to be based on public right of ways, surprised that someone can fence it. Or is it simply for livestock? Not to keep you out? Didn't see a gate in the picture.

Enjoy the ride!

L.
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #214
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Lloyd View Post
Hi Guys! Really enjoying your ride! Enjoy Moab, I have traveled that area a few times, great stuff.

You mention fences in the road and showed a picture of one. What happens then? Reroute?

I thought I understood Sam's route to be based on public right of ways, surprised that someone can fence it. Or is it simply for livestock? Not to keep you out? Didn't see a gate in the picture.

Enjoy the ride!

L.
Open gate, ride through, close gate. We did it many times too. Rule of thumb is: if the gate closed, close it; if the gate is open, leave it open. Sometimes the gates are just wire fencing, held in place with wire loops around bottom and top of the "movable" end fence post.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #215
JTBMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Lloyd View Post

Enjoy the ride!

L.
Here in Mississippi we call those GAP GATES, cheap, easy to build and open , as gates are over a hundred bucks for a Pipe 12 footer. Fenced areas on the TAT are to keep livestock in, so far not us out.
JTBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #216
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Gates

Okay, gotcha. Didn't see a gate there. Here in the east, we just don't find fences in the road, public roads that is.

Thanks!

L.
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #217
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 294
Roads.

The gates were just there to keep the cows in...

We had an adventure in Base Camp today. Took esp41 down some, um, less than marginal trails that were shown as roads in Base Camp. No one died and we saw things the TAT would have missed. It was fun. esp41 is finishing today's post now.

Oh and the question was asked, we still have a little of that flu, just some congestion.
07 WR 450F

Kirkster screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 09:36 PM
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #218
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post
I rode from monticello to moab and was fine on 3l, that was early in the day tho once i hit moab i was drinking a ton. If you have 6l should be good. Seriously check out those vests tho,40 bucks and makes a big difference in comfort.

Thanks for taking the efforr to do the live RR, ive been within a couple days of you guys most of tbe time and enjoyed reading along from my phone.
Looks like you have leap frogged us. Let us know if you see anything we should know about.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #219
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Great ride report. I envy you getting to do the TAT. It is on my bucket list!

My brother and I rode that section of the TAT through Colorado last July. I sure was glad to be on a WR250R. But we missed Orphir Pass some how. After Corkscrew our track we were following took us out to the highway. But we were whipped anyway.

I know you guys must be really wore out in the evening. But it sure is good to have real time posts. Take your time. Smell the roses. And keep us posted!
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #220
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Day 17- Moab - ~145 miles

We are not in Colorado anymore. There are many strange things in Utah. Case in point

I can even prove there are alien beings in Utah. Every road kill I have seen has always left a telltale red mark on the road. Letís see the Govít explain this

We took the long way to Moab today, stopping at a Vintage race outside of Monticello. Lotís of bikes I remember seeing when I was a young ESP41.

A Rupp

A gaggle of Husky 125ís

Anybody for a 650 twin dirtbike? Kirkster really liked the twin.

No vintage race is complete without one of these

And a Can-Am

And some bikes I have never heard of

A Ricard?

And the owners of these vintage machines know how to use them

Then we went scouting for the mine that b1pig mentioned. The Mi-Vide mine.
On the way, Kirkster mapped a shortcut. It started out like this

Then became this

It then became this steep downhill path no one would call a road

So I made Kirkster go first and video it. It actually turned out OK, as it turned back into a road at the base of the hill.

Finally we arrived at the mine

Inside the tunnel. The temperature was very cool in the tunnel. Notice the hole at the top of the cave in.

There was a strong breeze in the tunnel coming out of the hole. It must lead somewhere. Nah. No way Iím going in there!

We did enjoy our afternoon snack in the cool tunnel.

Maybe a ventilation shaft or another mine

The day was no longer young, so we pointed ourselves back to the TAT and headed for Moab.
Some more dirt road

Back to tarmac

Finally looking down into the city of Moab

Kirkster has some video of some really scenic section of road- so stand by

1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #221
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 673
Really enjoying your report. That was a Rickman and when you get back and through with the report, search for the Rickman Brothers. Theirs is a most interesting story in the motocross world. Didn't want to clog up your rr with minutae.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #222
John65
D Ol Man

Oddometer: 1,387
And that CZ is a carbon copy of my first one
a low pipe and Koni shocks made it perfect
TET Florida Section
TET Georgia Section
John65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #223
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Really enjoying your report. That was a Rickman and when you get back and through with the report, search for the Rickman Brothers. Theirs is a most interesting story in the motocross world. Didn't want to clog up your rr with minutae.
Don't worry about clogging things up. The feedback is great for us and makes all the work with it...

I will be looking up the Rickman Brothers tonight while I wait for the Moab video to finish rendering. I still have to finish the cow video too...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #224
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
Looks like you have leap frogged us. Let us know if you see anything we should know about.
I had a hard time finding the entrance to black dragon. I dont feel like the gps tracks supplied had enough waypoints in that area. Theres a lot of twisting roads in that area and only a couple gps points. Id try to familiarize yourself a bit before hand.

The rest of utah and nevada i may not be doing. I dont enjoy the heat, and being solo makes me a bit uncomfortable with it. Might check out idaho. Good luck to you guys though. I look forward to following along! Maybe ill see you at the coast
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #225
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote