Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #241
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb772 View Post
Great video. I would have loved to hear the chatter on the intercom when those cows refused the right of way.

Thanks for the updates, enjoying your adventures.
We ran across a lot of cattle too.. including one big drive, but we made it through unscathed after cowboy came and "made a hole!" caught on video too.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #242
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Great videos and story! Still following from Germany, have fun and write about it.
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #243
SideTrip
Junior n00b

Oddometer: 27
Pucker pass video

Would love to see the Puck Pass video...if you can find the time to post it.
SideTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #244
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Here is an activity till I get around to a decent post. We saw this sign leaving Moab. Let your creative juices flow and caption this picture of a speed limit on a dirt road in nowhere.

1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #245
Jsherman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
Here is an activity till I get around to a decent post. We saw this sign leaving Moab. Let your creative juices flow and caption this picture of a speed limit on a dirt road in nowhere.

The missing sign above:
SLOW ALIEN XING
Jsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #246
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Shool Zone?

Your probably entering a school zone!
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #247
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsherman View Post
The missing sign above:
SLOW ALIEN XING
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #248
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #249
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,610
well it is in yellow so that's the suggested speed......how about "optional 20mph"
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #250
Jsherman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Love it!!
Jsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #251
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 18- Salina ~200 miles

The Good:

We were well rested and headed out of Moab.

I came up fast to a T intersection and applied too much front brake while trying to look at my GPS.

The result

I picked up my bike as another ADV rider (Dean??) on a BMW Dakar 650 came along

We chatted for a while. He was running the TAT. His riding partner had an accident and had gone home, but the Dakar was going to finish the trip. It was obvious he was moving faster than us, so we let him go and followed his tire marks for a while.

Out into the desert we go.

There was actually a curve after this sign, but most of the roads we have been on never give you any warnings about sharp curves. It was funny to see the sign in the middle of the desert.

Eventually we crossed the road well travelled

Kirkster’s bike decided it needed it’s first nap of the day.

We had planned to go as far as Green River. We got there by 11:00am. We had lunch and pushed on to Salina. First we gassed up, watered up and rewet our evaporative cooling vests.

We saw this little cabin and investigated. It’s hard to imagine living in a small one room cabin.

Somewhere during the day we snapped a shot of this arch

Somewhere we saw the Dakar 650 tire track take a turn that did not match our GPS track. It was the last time we saw any of his tire tracks. Maybe he took a break and ended up behind us.

We crossed over and under Interstate 70 many times. Often we were on service road next to 70.

At this point we were about 90 TAT miles from Salina.

Stay tuned for part two- the adventure starts

Tomos ST
Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #252
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Badlands

I'm interested in your thoughts on the Badlands gear after a few days in Utah and Nevada. I have their Traverse jacket and thought that might be too much. I'm planning on using a EVS Ballistic Jersey and layering as needed.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #253
ADVBilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
cooling vest

I just returned from a 7500 mile trip out west including Death Valley and this is what I did.

Wear a synthetic undershirt, I bought the ADV ones that inmate HayDuke sells ( superb, by the way) but any synthetic blend would work. Saturate it with water and open jacket vents. This works like air conditioning for 30 to 45 minutes then repeat.

I bought one of those cooling vests and it works best right next to skin with no shirt on, but the synthetic undershirt worked better with less to pack.

Just my $.02

Great RR, I know you guys are having a blast!! Take care.
2013 Moto Guzzi Stone
ADVBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #254
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 18- The Adventure

We did Black Dragon Wash and Kirkster got some video. Then his camera overheated (it was hot outside) and it was done for the day.

Preface for the following: After our last navigational challenge, we added waypoints (with proximity alerts) from Sam’s TAT roll charts to our GPS’s. They told us about important notes, gas, hotels, etc. It worked great up to here

We were heading for Cat’s Canyon. We missed a turn. A very important turn. A turn that was very clear if you were using the roll charts. Not so clear if you were only following the GPS.

Before the turn we missed there was a section of sandy wash (10 inch deep sand) about 100 yards long. We were on the gas to get through it. We saw a turn to the right, but our GPS said straight. (Doh!) More deep sand until we came to this intersection, which gave us two choices

The dead end was out. In addition to being a dead end, it was heading in the wrong direction. The “closed” trail had tire tracks going up it. We were close to the purple GPS line-we went for it. For another .9 miles of narrow deep (10”-12”) sandy wash. The kind of sand you end up duck walking through half the time, and if you do get up a head of steam the next deep section does its best to make you crash or drop the bike. Ugly.

At this point we were moving away from the purple GPS line and it looked like we had many miles to go before we intersected with it again.

I made the decision to turn around. We had used up 3 liters of water each. We were now using our “extra” water. We were burning fuel fast in the sand. Our bikes were overheating. It was getting late. Riding our fully loaded bikes in the deep sand had made us so very, very tired. We backtracked to I70 and slabbed it to Salina. It was too late for the KTM’s clutch. Anything over 4500 rpm and it slipped. The sand killed it. We are holed up in Salina waiting for a clutch kit.

Here is what our GPS screen looked like at the point of decision

Purple line= GPS track
Blue line= Our actual track
Gray line= Road we should have been on
Yellow Circle= One of my proximity alarms for a way point
Blue Flag (Do Not Enter)= intersection after the wrong turn

A GPS track does not “lock” onto a road like a GPS “route”. Routes are what most car GPS’s use. Because a track does not lock to the road, it is normal for the GPS track to just give you a firm idea of where you should be. If you make a wrong turn, you look over at the road you should have been on and back track to it. That does NOT work in a canyon. A road 30 feet from you might be 100’ up a shear wall. That is what happened here.

To the left of the purple and blue line, you can see where the gray line briefly moves away from purple/blue line (the gray line looks like a thumb pointing down). That is where we missed the turn. Then the gray line moves back towards the blue and purple line. At that point, our path (blue line) was close enough to the gray line to make us believe we were close enough and should continue. After we went a while longer it became more apparent we had made a wrong turn and that the correct road was way above us on the canyon wall. The purple GPS line moving even farther way made the decision clearer.

In Sam’s (TAT route author) defense, the roll charts are supposed to be the primary navigation tool, and the roll chart clearly mentioned this turn. We have done fine up to this point with just the GPS and his notes on gas stops, hotels, visual clues, and notes from the roll charts. Buy the TAT package. Use it.

Mrs Kirster is overnighting us the full roll charts (Big thanks again). We will incorporate them into our navigation as we head deeper into the desert.

We killed a clutch and my Panasonic camera today(Camera does not like sand). We think the GoPro will recover once it cools down.

PS: Having enough gas and water made this a minor mistake, rather than something much worse. The evaporative cooling vest definitely helps keep you cool when you are moving.

Tomos ST
Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #255
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBilly View Post
I just returned from a 7500 mile trip out west including Death Valley and this is what I did.

Wear a synthetic undershirt, I bought the ADV ones that inmate HayDuke sells ( superb, by the way) but any synthetic blend would work. Saturate it with water and open jacket vents. This works like air conditioning for 30 to 45 minutes then repeat.

I bought one of those cooling vests and it works best right next to skin with no shirt on, but the synthetic undershirt worked better with less to pack.

Just my $.02

Great RR, I know you guys are having a blast!! Take care.

We just got the vests, so we are still dialing them in. I wear a moisture wicking shirt (not cotton!) under it. The vest works very well for 3-4 hours, then the effect tapers off for a couple more hours. How long the cooling effect lasts is directly related to how much airflow the vest gets. I do agree the vest is bulkier to pack, but I would not want to stop every 45 minutes to rewet a shirt. We do not rewet the vest when out riding. It would use up to much water. Water is better for drinking.
Tomos ST