Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #271
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick View Post
Bummer deal about the clutch. I've roasted a DRZ clutch on the TAT ( Hancock pass). We transplanted half of my dads good plates into my bikes and limped to Richfield before we got our replacements. I'm just 144 miles north of you guys if you need anything. We could score clutch parts from the edge ( KTM dealer) or the local BMW shop and run them out to you.

Rocky Mountain ATV in santaquin might have what you need if you don't get your parts tomorrow as well.

Shoot me a PM if we can help.

Thanks for the offer of assistance.

The UPS tracker says my parts are in Salina . We have the bike all prepped just waiting for the parts and then we will kick it over and take off the clutch cover. Should take us less than ten minutes to get it all buttoned back up.

Still waiting... But it is here and I have the address if we need to do a pickup tonight...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #272
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Video gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsherman View Post
Gents - been meaning to ask you, what are you using to setup your videos for posting while riding? I plan on taking my small acer netbook - not a lot of processing power, so videos may not be able to be edited/converted - only stored for later upload.

anyways, looking for details on the software/setup you all are using.

thanks,
Jerry
Jerry, we got an 11 inch Mac Book air with a solid state drive. A 1.7 gig processor that does a turbo boost and 8 gigs of ram. We use iMovie that came built in on the Mac.

With that we have import times of the raw video at around 30 minutes and final render time of the videos at around 2~3 hours based on how long the videos are.

It also helps to have a USB3 card reader to get the video on the computer as the GoPro is pretty slow. I generally transfer the days video to the SSD drive and review it there. Once I know what clips we want to use we copy them onto the computer as it imports the clips faster that way. 20 min for 10 min of video vs an hour plus strait from the camera...

We also have a 420gig usb3 SSD to store all the raw footage on, as doing video eats up memory pretty quickly and you have to delete the imported clips fairly frequently or you fill up the internal 256 gig SSD fairly quickly and we want all of the raw footage to make a big movie from when we get home and have more time for spit and polish.

Uploads to Vimeo are usually around 700 ~ 900 Megs for most of our movies. Vimeo has a pretty slick interface that recovers well from spotty Internet connections. The longest upload time was 6 hours, we start it up and go to bed usually.

The MacBook Air has been flawless and is nice and light with killer battery life, we also have an iPad for brousing and posting when the other guy is using the laptop.
07 WR 450F
Old 07-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #273
brokenhiplegarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
what did you just say???? WTF?????

turbo, gigs, ram, what the heck, did you put a turbo on your ram truck? lol. lol......

anyway, sounds like you are pulling through... who is the mechanical engineer on this clutch job? good god........ you boys have learned alot....lol....

theres a bunch of us just biting at the bit here ... envious actually... but we are planning on doing this..

looking at klr's now... i still think my 450x is ready........
brokenhiplegarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #274
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhiplegarm View Post
turbo, gigs, ram, what the heck, did you put a turbo on your ram truck? lol. lol......

anyway, sounds like you are pulling through... who is the mechanical engineer on this clutch job? good god........ you boys have learned alot....lol....

theres a bunch of us just biting at the bit here ... envious actually... but we are planning on doing this..

just click on the video link and watch... That other stuff is too complicated for you...
07 WR 450F
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #275
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:

haha,, yeah, I was thinking "dude sure is bored waiting for that clutch"
Great Report,,, enjoying riding along. I"ll have my 610 up in Zion next week. Cant wait!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #276
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

New clutch pack

Well UPS finally showed up at 7:30. I got the new clutch pack a day and a half late. I was nagging the local UPS and it sure looked like they forgot to deliver the package when they came through earlier in the day... We were not going to be stuck here another day come hell or high water.

Soaked the new friction disks in oil for 40 minutes. Slapped them and the new steel disks in and had the bike back on its feet by 8:30. It got a quick spin around the parking lot and. It looks like we are good to go.

The old clutch pack was toast . Pictures in tomorrow's ride report.
07 WR 450F
Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #277
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Well UPS finally showed up at 7:30. I got the new clutch pack a day and a half late. I was nagging the local UPS and it sure looked like they forgot to deliver the package when they came through earlier in the day... We were not going to be stuck here another day come hell or high water.

Got stranded in Ely, NV one time waiting for parts...regular UPS got delivered early at the motel, next day shipments were on a later truck.

Have fun on the trail!!!
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #278
leepic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:

The high strung motor on your 450X requires too much frequent maintenance which is why Kirkster and ESP41 chose the bikes they have for this trip. Too often you'll be cruising at 70mph which is close to top speed on your bike. If I do get a chance in the future to do this trek it'll be on a 690 for sure.
'79 QT50
leepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #279
randyho
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Okay, according to spot, today's voyage has included napa, the hospital, and walmart. What in the world? Hope all's well, guys. Adventure, indeed.
randyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #280
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyho View Post
Okay, according to spot, today's voyage has included napa, the hospital, and walmart. What in the world? Hope all's well, guys. Adventure, indeed.
Fun watching the Spot Tracker. Looks like a little green break from all the desert of the past few days. Hope the hospital stop was nothing serious.

Great adventure, party on.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #281
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Hospital stop...

well since I have already been called out by two different people on the hospital stop, and Mrs. Kirkster already has been informed.

It seems while we were working our way out of the sand trap on Wednesday I had a couple of drop/ejections. One of the higher speed drops when you are in pin it and pray mode ended badly with the bike twisting and ejecting me off the left side. Normally this is not to bad but this time there was a sizable rocky mound for me to land on.

There was no way to get an X-ray in Salina so we were hoping it would feel better. No improvement, so today as we are in the Big City I figured it was time to get an X-ray. So the outcome is a couple bruised ribs and a fractured rib. Them is the breaks.

Time to Harden the F Up

link not safe for work language alert...

The doctor did not even bother trying to tell me no strenuous activities, rest, take a few days off. He just said be careful...

We only took one picture today, but we have another video ready and some pics of bike surgery that will get posted up later today.

Tomorrow we hit Nevada.
07 WR 450F
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #282
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Great RR! You guys are checking all the boxes. Even a trip to the hospital. Hope the rib dosen't give you to much trouble. I feel for your Bud who is back at home reading this stuff. He has to be suffering
Old 07-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #283
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
He just said be careful...
Maybe something like 3 or 4 large sponges soaked in water inside your vest would work. A two birds with one stone kind of fix with protection and extra cooling/moisture. Well, maybe! I have had some luck with over the counter pain creams.
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e

Critic screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 05:46 PM
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #284
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post

We have missed the wild fires and there was no lingering smoke either. They did get very close to the road. It was weird how the trees burned but the bushes did not…

What most likely happened is that a fire went thru there a little while ago, it burned the tree's and the ground cover, but the ground cover grew back relatively quickly. Wood ash makes pretty decent fertilizer, especially if the soil is a little "used up" and hasn't had a burnback in a while.

Sorry for the late post, I'm just catching up on your RR. Enjoy the ride!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #285
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
Day 18- The Adventure

Before the turn we missed there was a section of sandy wash (10 inch deep sand) about 100 yards long. We were on the gas to get through it. We saw a turn to the right, but our GPS said straight.
similar thing happened to me and a group of jeepers in moab back in 2006. we had a "guide" who "supposedly" knew where he was going. I had purchased the maps around the moab area and had a gps as well. (magellan map330x) with my superior, military taught map reading skills, i knew where i was and knew where i wanted to go. the trick was that there were several trails that were not on the maps. i recommended a scout run by one of the guys (my rig was dead and i was a seat warmer/navigator on this trip). the guys voted and we ended up following our "guide" up what he assured us was the trail to the highway. within 30 minutes, i knew for a fact that we were on a trail that looped away from the road and would eventually put us on the wrong side of a canyon from the exit.

so about 2 hours later, the group mutinied from the "guide". we backtracked and confirmed what i had thought, is that we had turned off right at 1,000 meters before the intended trail.

as with our trip. no harm, no foul. we got to see a few interesting views of a canyon that are not on the "main trails" of moab, nothing broke and no one was hurt.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote