Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #421
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbiluco View Post
Congrats guys.
Great Ride Report, really enjoyed it.
Do y'all think this ride can be done on a S10?
An S10 is a very nice bike. It is more street orientated than dirt. It would not be my bike of choice- especially west of Colorado. That being said, rider skill trumps all. If you can really ride it, bring it. Expect to add a few scratches to it though
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #422
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
this RR has sucked me in almost daily. I regret that I missed the final stretch, but I needed a few days of vacation with the family and had no internet access.

great job on a truly epic ride. i know it was hard work for you guys to put this together for us to view. Thanks.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #423
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Thanks guys. I really enjoyed your RR. I checked every day. The Spot Tracker is great. When you got crossed up in the Utah canyon I saw it in real time. I felt you were either sightseeing at another mine or in trouble. The satellite view of the terrain made me lean toward possible trouble. I was ready to call out the Coast Guard or somebody. Then there you were flying west at speed.

I plan to ride the TAT very soon on an '09 KLR. I need the "west of Colorado" practice. I'll have Spot Track with me.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #424
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
If you can really ride it, bring it. Expect to add a few scratches to it though
A Few Scratches!!!
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #425
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Well, we made it home. It is good to be back.

Here is how our bikes are going home

They should be home in about 2 weeks. We will then go through them mechanically so they are ready for our next adventure.

I would be remiss if I did not mention my buddy Bruce’s shop in Eugene.

He let us park our bikes in his shop for two days until the transport (UShip) arrived. He also put us up for two days. If you need any help in the Eugene area, he is a good place to go. They are a car shop, but are biker friendly. I even saw a 4 cylinder Porsche (912) engine powered trike in the shop.

As for the Kirkster and I, it took us 6 hours to fly home. Just a little faster than the 30+ days to get out there.

Other than my hand grip being weak from all the days of riding vibrations, I feel great.

It is strange getting back into the real world where the day/date/time matter. So be it. Gotta work hard so I can play hard.

Gear post is almost ready. We are just fine tuning it. Stand by……
Tomos ST
Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #426
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,005
Now the shock of returning to work.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #427
scanda
Trooper

Oddometer: 12
Congrats on finishing the trip, looks like a lot of fun!
scanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #428
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Congratulations! That was an awesome RR. I'm planning the ride for 2016 with my brothers.
Black09JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #429
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying.moto View Post
Superb!
I am so in! And really wishing to do that ride sometime soon. I am also curious about how the Lynx will fair on the ride, etc. as here is a picture from my garage as of tonight..

Well after 5187 miles I can say that the lynx fairing kind of holds up well. ESP41 had the dash portion of his break due to vibration which we fixed with an aluminum backing plate and epoxy.

Mine kind of held up a bit better in the dash portion but it has stress fractures in the fiberglass fairing portion. I also have a few cracks but those can be chalked up to the crash. The crash also knocked one side of the headlight subframe out of the fiberglass and is now held in with zip ties.

I liked mine, but in the end I will change it out for the Rally Raid stuff as the dashboard subframe in the Rally Raid is made for more abuse than the lynx fairing is. It seems I dish out more abuse...
07 WR 450F

Kirkster screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 02:55 PM
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #430
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Fantastic RR.......Thanks for sharing

The TAT is AWESOME!!!!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #431
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

The promised Gear post:

First our TAT trip thoughts.

1. We did not do this on a budget, we did not really camp even though we planned to do a bit more than one night. We don’t have any regrets about how we did things. We enjoyed a bed and AC after a long hard day. Kirkster managed to lose 20 pounds on the trip, even though we did not skip too many meals.

2. We were not in any sort of hurry. It took as long as it took to do the ride. We built in extra time for the potential of being sick and mechanical breakdowns. We really had another week left in the time frame but things worked out as planned.

3. Early on we decided that we would do a Ride Report. We spent a lot of time looking at other ride reports and incorporated the things we liked about other peoples ride reports. The big one being readability of the text, and lots of photography that was well captioned.

4. The other thing we decided that we would do is a live trip report as it felt right and gave people the opportunity to point things out that we should go see. If we just followed the purple GPS line day in and day out we would have missed some really memorable sights.

5. The ride report will also give us something to look back on and keep our thoughts/trip organized.

6. The inmate feedback on the ride report was always great and kept us motivated on the more challenging days (Thank You!). Not only did we not want to let each other down, we did not want to let our readers down. We have sat in our office chairs and read many a ride report, so we know how much readers look forward to each day's adventure.

Gear :

What to take

1. License, registration, bike insurance card and your health insurance card
2. Optional (Highly Recommended)- Spot locator with Search and Rescue insurance, we both had them.
3. Cash- some places out west only take cash.

The Bike:

Know your bike!! Practice changing your own tires. Give the bike a tune up. Google it’s weaknesses and try to compensate for them. Set the bike up for your weight and riding style. You will be doing roadside repairs. If you are buying an old bike, take it apart and put it back together with blue locktite.

1. Tape a spare key to the bike somewhere. Give another spare key to your riding partner.
2. Skid plate- get one. We banged ours all the time in Utah and Nevada
3. Hand guards- yes. You will be rubbing sagebrush. Get something sturdy like Highway Dirt Bikes, It will take a beating so your levers don’t have to when you drop the bike..

4. Adjust the suspension for your weight, including gear. You can get away with improper suspension till about Salida, CO, after that is gets rough.

5. Heavy duty inner tubes
6. Tires- new ones. Personal preference here. We used Dunlop 606’s. I wish they lasted longer, otherwise great off road DOT tire. Don’t underinflate your tires. You are carrying a heavy load. We ran our tires at 23psi rear, 25 psi front. Interesting enough, we found that the decrease in traction from the higher inflation made riding in gravel and sand easier. The bike floated around more but did not “stick” in the ruts as much.

7. New sprockets, chain, battery, wheel bearings before a long trip.
8. ROK straps to hold your luggage to the bike. They really work and they are a small package. Just buy them and be happy later… We put ours through some stupid abuse and they came out just fine.

9. Do a major maintenance interval to the bike before you leave (adjust valves, change oil, etc)
10. We brought along Filter Skin’s for air filters. They are like a condom for your air filter. I think used about 8 for each bike. They are easy to change. I put spare Skins in a bag of filter oil (under my seat) and toss the used ones in the trash. They are a very small package- so you do not need extra filters or filter cleaner. Out west where the dust is heavy you can count on changing them every couple days of riding.

11. Luggage- that is a personal preference. Waterproof is a good thing. Dry bag everything important if the luggage is not waterproof. Soft side luggage is highly recommended. Soft “gives” in a crash. Hard bends and breaks. We used Kreiga 15l side bags (AKA the Kreiga Overlander) and Watershed top bags. Get a tank bag for small items (Leatherman, snacks, camera, phone charger, quarters, neatly fold a couple of ZipLock bags in there for when it rains and you want to keep your camera dry. I put my Spot locator in the tank bag map pocket.

12. Comfy seat. Your behind will thank you.

13. Choose a bike that can be modified to get at least a 200 mile gas range (250 is better). Get a big gas tank to increase your bike's riding range. Carry enough extra fuel for a 250 mile range.

14. Carry a little extra motor oil for topping off (especially if you crack a case and have to repair it in the field).

15. The big bikes (KTM 990, BMW 800, etc) can do this trip if you have the skills to ride a heavy bike off road. We choose the KTM 690 and the Husky 610 because they have the power and weigh in at around 310 pounds before you throw on the gear. They are both much lighter than the alternatives. 150 lbs is a huge difference in the more challenging sections.

Clothes: For our 30+ day TAT trip
1. Nothing cotton!
2. (4) moisture wicking shirts, (4) moisture wicking underwear, and (4) pairs of moisture wicking socks. Moisture wicking clothes can be washed in a motel sink and will dry overnight. Mostly...
3. One pair convertible pants that zip into shorts. One camp shirt
4. One pair long underwear. (optional/seasonal)
5. Camp shoes (flip flops, sandals, Docksiders)
6. Shaving kit (we did not shave on the trip). Nail clippers, comb, tooth brush. Bring some aspirin- you will have aches and pains. Bring some better drugs if you can get them...

Tools:
1. Tools to patch an inner tube
2. A small electric air pump is very, very handy- worth the weight
3. A spare front tube (will work in the back in a pinch)
4. Enough tools to take most of your bike apart. No more. When you are working on your bike at home, use your travel tool kit. That way you are sure you have what you need on the road.

5. Electric and duct tape, JB Weld, epoxy glue, spare screws, many zipties (all sizes). Spare ROK straps for holding things together.
6. Leatherman multi tool came in handy on many occasions.

First aid kit:
1. Yes, get one that you know how to use
2. Hopefully you will not need it

Bike clothes:
1. Layering ability is the way to go
2. I use Klim Latitude with a ballistic jersey. When I am hot, I take off the jacket and just wear the jersey with a moisture wicking T-shirt underneath

3. Kirkster liked his all in one Klim Badlands. It is very well vented, and the protection was excellent. Kirkster says it was only hot maybe twice on the whole trip, once when it was 114° in Oklahoma and when we were stuck in the deep sand in Utah. I was damn hot in both those places as well.

4. Make sure that the outerwear you choose is water proof and vented.
5. Very well vented dual sport helmet (Arai XD4, Shoei Hornet). Sunglasses.
6. Get dual sport boots (Kirkster- Sidi Gortex Adventure; ESP41- Gaerne G Adventure). Motocross boots will provide the ultimate in protection, but they will not be good if you must walk any distance in them.

Electronics
1. Scala G9 communication system (highly recommended)
2. Garmin Montana GPS (Biiiig learning curve, but highly customizable)
3. Point and shoot cameras (We took a Canon AS2500, G1X, and a Panasonic that got replaced by another Canon AS2500 when the sand killed it.)
4. Netbook (We are using a MacBook Air)
5. Cellphone
6. GoPro or equivalent HD video camera. We found that we really should have had 2 as always watching one person gets a bit old.

Navigation:
1. Get the GPS tracks. They will make your life much easier.
2. Get the roll charts and other TAT maps for even more precise navigation and some very helpful tips about the trail and gas/food/hotel stops. Not all the info is up to date- so read some recent ride reports to get detailed info.

Camping gear:
1. Take some for safety. You never know when you will be stuck on the trail and need shelter.
2. Camping greatly increases the chances of having someplace to sleep at night. Many of the motels out west fill up very fast after 3:00pm.
3. Camping will save you money and enable you to cover more ground during the day. Especially out west, you will not longer be stuck trying to make it from hotel to hotel. You can just ride until your tired and then camp off the trail a bit. Much of the time you will be a National forest or very remote areas.

4. Get lightweight compact camping gear. It won’t be cheap, but the high resale on the good stuff will help cut the cost in the end. Get a tent with a large vestibule so you don’t have to sleep with your gear when it rains.

Miscellaneous items:
1. Extra water bladder for the desert sections (Utah into Oregon)
2. I liked the cooling vest in the desert. I wetted it in the morning and wrapped it around my ice filled extra water bladder. Then around noon, I put it on. Chilly and refreshing for 3-4 hours.

Overall costs:

5. Not counting airfare and bike transport home our lodging, meals, and fuel came in at right around $3200 ~ $3500 dollars for the both of us for 30+ days. It might have been a bit more but not much less. There were a few places that were more than a hundred a night (Moab and Salida; due to 4th of July holidays) and most places were less than one hundred dollars a night.

Tomos ST

esp41 screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 07:58 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #432
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
The promised Gear post:

First 0ur TAT trip thoughts.
Great Ride report and Wrap Up
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #433
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
[COLOR=Lime]The promised Gear post:

First 0ur TAT trip thoughts.

[endif]-->
Not sure I will ever have an opportunity to complete a full TAT, but I have really enjoyed your ride reports and found your gear recommendations and dos and don'ts very interesting and informative.

Thanks for taking the time to post during your ride and share your travels with us, and also for the gear post and summary.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #434
Ilbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Guys, Thank You! This has been a real treat for many of us. Dirty Lloyd and I talked almost daily about your adventures and how serious we both about doing this trip. In fact, we've both bought new 2013 model 650's to make the trip - his a Honda XR650 and mine a DR650. We did a 16 day trip last year from the Carolinas to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Mesa Verde, Pike's Peak on our road bikes and spent almost that much on food and hotels, so your trip was a lot more bang for the buck.

One question I have to ask - did you carry firearms or pepper spray for wildlife or just bad folks encounters? I assumed you had to be carrying cash because you just have to. My bank shut my debit card down on a Sunday morning 1 week into the trip because of what they said was "unusual spending away from home" - yea.......I was out West having the time of my life and buying gas 3 times a day. I needed that debit card.

Regarding the bikes and fuel availability, since both bikes have a fairly high compression ratio, did selection of fuel or lack of premium (92/93) ever become a problem? Just going off memory, the Husky never experienced a flat, but Kirkster's KTM had 3 - one of those from a patch that later failed. Was that just luck or differences in tire pressure, weight?

I saw your Camelbaks, but in places you carried 6 liters each, what and where did you carry the extra?

Again, Thanks for taking us along.

Gordon
Ilbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #435
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilbikes View Post
Guys, Thank You! This has been a real treat for many of us. Dirty Lloyd and I talked almost daily about your adventures and how serious we both about doing this trip. In fact, we've both bought new 2013 model 650's to make the trip - his a Honda XR650 and mine a DR650. We did a 16 day trip last year from the Carolinas to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Mesa Verde, Pike's Peak on our road bikes and spent almost that much on food and hotels, so your trip was a lot more bang for the buck.

One question I have to ask - did you carry firearms or pepper spray for wildlife or just bad folks encounters? I assumed you had to be carrying cash because you just have to. My bank shut my debit card down on a Sunday morning 1 week into the trip because of what they said was "unusual spending away from home" - yea.......I was out West having the time of my life and buying gas 3 times a day. I needed that debit card.

Regarding the bikes and fuel availability, since both bikes have a fairly high compression ratio, did selection of fuel or lack of premium (92/93) ever become a problem? Just going off memory, the Husky never experienced a flat, but Kirkster's KTM had 3 - one of those from a patch that later failed. Was that just luck or differences in tire pressure, weight?

I saw your Camelbaks, but in places you carried 6 liters each, what and where did you carry the extra?

Again, Thanks for taking us along.

Gordon
We did not carry a firearm or pepper spray. Everyone we met was either very nice or indifferent. Enough people have run the TAT that a lot of the small towns we hit knew what we were about. We had no encounters with dangerous wildlife, but you never know. Carry if you want, but I do not think it is required. For the record, we live in Maryland, so getting a carry permit is not likely unless you are a retired LEO or have a job that requires it.

We had to run whatever gas was available. Some places only had one grade of gas (85/87). We ran it anyway. Your bike will have less power, but you won't be pushing it.

The Husky had no flats. I can't explain why. Same tire, same HD inner tube, nearly same pressures. Both of the KTM flats were metal objects, so call it "unluck"

I did carry two credit cards. I called both of them before I left and told them I was traveling. They asked me the dates and what States I was going through and what I would likely be purchasing. They made notations on my cards and they both worked fine. Kirkster got some calls from his credit cards while we were on the road. After those calls, he was fine too.

Yes, you need cash. Some places will only take cash.

We had 3 liter bladders on our backs (iced in the morning). I carried an extra 3 liter bladder for my "camelback" in a side bag on the bike. Kirkster had a 2 liter bladder from some REI type store.
Tomos ST