ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat
 
Domromer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Oddometer: 1,084
Road burner or adventure bike for Florida.

I'm moving down to the Clearwater area for work on a temporary assignment. I've got a vstrom now but I've got the new bike itch. I'm not sure whether to get a Tenere or St1300. Normally I'd go for the Tenere as I've always had adventure bikes.. But in wondering how much off road exploring I'll do. From what I've seen from trip reports and my own experience most roads down there are pretty sandy.. Not the best place for a 600lb bike. I'm wondering if I'll be better served with a st1300 for gobbling up the miles on Camping, day trips, and my commute... Thoughts?... Do you beast owners do much actual off road riding down there?
__________________
If all you ever do is all you’ve ever done, then all you’ll ever get is all you ever got.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,471
Unless you have mad skillz in the sand, you're going to want something considerably lighter than either of those.

Have you tried a Husky TR650 with knobs on it?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
Domromer OP
Desert Rat
 
Domromer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Oddometer: 1,084
No I need something that can handle the highway two up. I do a lot of multi day camping trips.
__________________
If all you ever do is all you’ve ever done, then all you’ll ever get is all you ever got.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
Hatch
PAR OG
 
Hatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Montrose, Co
Oddometer: 2,917
keep the strom for street duty, and to scratch that new bike itch, get a cheap dr, xr, klx, or xt for sandy forest road duty
__________________
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
seatec
Dutch Transplant
 
seatec's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Clearwater
Oddometer: 710
I went with gs1200 and can explore plenty of the out of the way places. No deep deep sand with street tires of course.
PM me if you want to go for a ride. I live in Cleawater. If you do want to look at a gs800 or something like that I highly recommend Euro Cycles of tampa. f800 might just be ticket for you.

~Anthony
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
keep the strom for street duty, and to scratch that new bike itch, get a cheap dr, xr, klx, or xt for sandy forest road duty
THIS
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Domromer OP
Desert Rat
 
Domromer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
keep the strom for street duty, and to scratch that new bike itch, get a cheap dr, xr, klx, or xt for sandy forest road duty
Been thinking of something along those lines. An Xt250 would compliment a big bike well. How long a drive is it to some dirt from Clearwater?
__________________
If all you ever do is all you’ve ever done, then all you’ll ever get is all you ever got.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Domromer OP
Desert Rat
 
Domromer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
I went with gs1200 and can explore plenty of the out of the way places. No deep deep sand with street tires of course.
PM me if you want to go for a ride. I live in Cleawater. If you do want to look at a gs800 or something like that I highly recommend Euro Cycles of tampa. f800 might just be ticket for you.

~Anthony
I'll shoot you a pm when I get down there. I'd love a little insider knowledge of the area. I grew up on the East Coast in Flagler Beach but the west coast is pretty much a blank spot on the map for me.
__________________
If all you ever do is all you’ve ever done, then all you’ll ever get is all you ever got.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ogre_fl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Cook Bayou, FL
Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
keep the strom for street duty, and to scratch that new bike itch, get a cheap dr, xr, klx, or xt for sandy forest road duty
+2

Also serioulsy consider getting some TKC's or similar type tires for the Strom for those in between type rides where a small single can be tiresome for the distance, but you will be faced with sand.

The 650 Strom with TKC's can go surprising places down here.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
seatec
Dutch Transplant
 
seatec's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Clearwater
Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I'll shoot you a pm when I get down there. I'd love a little insider knowledge of the area. I grew up on the East Coast in Flagler Beach but the west coast is pretty much a blank spot on the map for me.
Sounds good. I must warn you. I am not a seasoned adventure rider (yet) just got my bike and started exploring.
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Domromer OP
Desert Rat
 
Domromer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Oddometer: 1,084
No problem. I'm a stop and smell the flowers and take a few pics kinda rider.
__________________
If all you ever do is all you’ve ever done, then all you’ll ever get is all you ever got.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
seatec
Dutch Transplant
 
seatec's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Clearwater
Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
No problem. I'm a stop and smell the flowers and take a few pics kinda rider.
Great. SOunds good
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder
 
Bobby Ginger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: N.E. FL
Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I'm moving down to the Clearwater area for work on a temporary assignment. I've got a vstrom now but I've got the new bike itch. I'm not sure whether to get a Tenere or St1300. Normally I'd go for the Tenere as I've always had adventure bikes.. But in wondering how much off road exploring I'll do. From what I've seen from trip reports and my own experience most roads down there are pretty sandy.. Not the best place for a 600lb bike. I'm wondering if I'll be better served with a st1300 for gobbling up the miles on Camping, day trips, and my commute... Thoughts?... Do you beast owners do much actual off road riding down there?
You can find plenty of dirt/sandy roads that the strom will do well on, but light bikes are more fun.
__________________
2009 GSA 2008 Husky TE450 2013 Husky Terra
IBA 50407
Bobby Ginger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer
 
AviatorTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH/Stuart FL
Oddometer: 1,547
I have a 1200GS and although it sucks in deep sand, there are lots of roads through orange groves and such that are groomed gravel and can be a fun ride. If you are only going to be there temporarily, I wouldn't buy a dirt bike, there's not really a lot of good places to ride that kind of stuff than than Ocala and a couple other places that are pretty far apart.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Domromer OP
Desert Rat
 
Domromer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Oddometer: 1,084
Just got to Florida.. Time to test out the vstrom. Any interesting rides around Clearwater?
__________________
If all you ever do is all you’ve ever done, then all you’ll ever get is all you ever got.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014