Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Road burner or adventure bike for Florida.

I'm moving down to the Clearwater area for work on a temporary assignment. I've got a vstrom now but I've got the new bike itch. I'm not sure whether to get a Tenere or St1300. Normally I'd go for the Tenere as I've always had adventure bikes.. But in wondering how much off road exploring I'll do. From what I've seen from trip reports and my own experience most roads down there are pretty sandy.. Not the best place for a 600lb bike. I'm wondering if I'll be better served with a st1300 for gobbling up the miles on Camping, day trips, and my commute... Thoughts?... Do you beast owners do much actual off road riding down there?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,471
Unless you have mad skillz in the sand, you're going to want something considerably lighter than either of those.

Have you tried a Husky TR650 with knobs on it?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

No I need something that can handle the highway two up. I do a lot of multi day camping trips.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,917
keep the strom for street duty, and to scratch that new bike itch, get a cheap dr, xr, klx, or xt for sandy forest road duty
Old 06-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 710
I went with gs1200 and can explore plenty of the out of the way places. No deep deep sand with street tires of course.
PM me if you want to go for a ride. I live in Cleawater. If you do want to look at a gs800 or something like that I highly recommend Euro Cycles of tampa. f800 might just be ticket for you.

~Anthony
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
keep the strom for street duty, and to scratch that new bike itch, get a cheap dr, xr, klx, or xt for sandy forest road duty
THIS
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Been thinking of something along those lines. An Xt250 would compliment a big bike well. How long a drive is it to some dirt from Clearwater?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
I went with gs1200 and can explore plenty of the out of the way places. No deep deep sand with street tires of course.
PM me if you want to go for a ride. I live in Cleawater. If you do want to look at a gs800 or something like that I highly recommend Euro Cycles of tampa. f800 might just be ticket for you.

~Anthony
I'll shoot you a pm when I get down there. I'd love a little insider knowledge of the area. I grew up on the East Coast in Flagler Beach but the west coast is pretty much a blank spot on the map for me.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
+2

Also serioulsy consider getting some TKC's or similar type tires for the Strom for those in between type rides where a small single can be tiresome for the distance, but you will be faced with sand.

The 650 Strom with TKC's can go surprising places down here.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I'll shoot you a pm when I get down there. I'd love a little insider knowledge of the area. I grew up on the East Coast in Flagler Beach but the west coast is pretty much a blank spot on the map for me.
Sounds good. I must warn you. I am not a seasoned adventure rider (yet) just got my bike and started exploring.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

No problem. I'm a stop and smell the flowers and take a few pics kinda rider.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Quote:
No problem. I'm a stop and smell the flowers and take a few pics kinda rider.
Great. SOunds good
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
I'm moving down to the Clearwater area for work on a temporary assignment. I've got a vstrom now but I've got the new bike itch. I'm not sure whether to get a Tenere or St1300. Normally I'd go for the Tenere as I've always had adventure bikes.. But in wondering how much off road exploring I'll do. From what I've seen from trip reports and my own experience most roads down there are pretty sandy.. Not the best place for a 600lb bike. I'm wondering if I'll be better served with a st1300 for gobbling up the miles on Camping, day trips, and my commute... Thoughts?... Do you beast owners do much actual off road riding down there?
You can find plenty of dirt/sandy roads that the strom will do well on, but light bikes are more fun.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
I have a 1200GS and although it sucks in deep sand, there are lots of roads through orange groves and such that are groomed gravel and can be a fun ride. If you are only going to be there temporarily, I wouldn't buy a dirt bike, there's not really a lot of good places to ride that kind of stuff than than Ocala and a couple other places that are pretty far apart.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Just got to Florida.. Time to test out the vstrom. Any interesting rides around Clearwater?