ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,195
Ok ok.

a) The GS 1200 is a big heavy pig and I've smelled plenty of dry clutch in the Barrens.
b) Put knobs on then.
c) And work on your 'you ain't right in the head' attitude! It does a lot to make the hard stuff a lot more fun!
d) Bring a friend. They get heavy once you pick it up once or twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa View Post
Come on Loph cut me some slack here. We all know your the exception!
A) there a big diff between your 800GS & Pig. I mean Big VStrom
B) you ain't running street tires
C) you ain't right in the head to begin with!

I'm all about getting more people out to ride with. Just don't want the guy to bite off more than he can chew. We want people to Enjoy their experiences not get so frustrated they sell their shit and never ride again!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Fish hawk
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Street bike in the Pine Barrens

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, I have taken it on dirt and gravel roads with decent traction with no problems. The Pine Barrens is a big area, by New Jersey standards anyway, and tempting to explore. I guess my question is are there some roads doable on my bike or am I going to hit deep sand pretty much on any of them. I don't know how to get experienced at anything without trying it but there's no point in just going out and burying the bike in the sand either.
Fish hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
enduro gorilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Some people never learn why are you compelled to post pictures of illegal riding
enduro gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
vntgmx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish hawk View Post
Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, I have taken it on dirt and gravel roads with decent traction with no problems. The Pine Barrens is a big area, by New Jersey standards anyway, and tempting to explore. I guess my question is are there some roads doable on my bike or am I going to hit deep sand pretty much on any of them. I don't know how to get experienced at anything without trying it but there's no point in just going out and burying the bike in the sand either.
There are plenty of miles of legal sand roads in Brendan Byrne. You can get a map from the ranger office and you'll be able to know what is legal and what is not from the legend on the map. Most right around the ranger station are mostly hard pack sand from all the autos that frequent them and would be a good safe way to get your feet wet.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Fish hawk
n00b

Pine Barrens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa View Post
In the hands of an experienced rider a DL1000 in PB Sand is a Hand Full in and of itself.. Trust me I know I own one and ride it Off Road ALOT!!

My question..If you have ZERO Dirt Bike Experience why may I ask would you want to take a 500+lb bike into the SAND or "OFF ROAD"? Especially if your not setup to be there in the first place. (ie crash bars, bash plate, etc)

and you have Stock Tires to boot. Thats just a recipe for Disaster!! IMHO.. It can be done dont get me wrong.. but the results are usually Ugly!!

Are you just asking to trash yourself and your equipment? My advice .... Gain some basic experience of Riding Off Road. Go with others who have setup their equipment for off road riding. Try and attempt other terrain "Off Road" before attempting SAND!!! Even thou falling in sand vs gravel may sound more inviting .. Falling with a 500lb bike just isnt fun under any circumstance.

Just my 2 cents..
That's why I asked the question. I have no illusions that my V-Strom is an off road bike. Sand is really the crux of what I was asking about and if it's pretty consistent everywhere or if there are some areas that are unpaved but fine for my bike. Apparently there are some that are fine for a Harley touring bike.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Fish hawk
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgmx View Post
There are plenty of miles of legal sand roads in Brendan Byrne. You can get a map from the ranger office and you'll be able to know what is legal and what is not from the legend on the map. Most right around the ranger station are mostly hard pack sand from all the autos that frequent them and would be a good safe way to get your feet wet.
That's the kind of input I was looking for. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
THier
n00b

Oddometer: 2
How do I hookup with folks up there? I want to show my KLR something other than paved roads. I just got some Dunlop 606s, I haven't mounted them up yet, still on stockers, but have a second set of wheels for knobbies.

Thanks,
Tom
THier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 887
When I'm IN the PB, I find the legal roads are difficult to pinpoint. However, I'm horrible with navigation, so even if I studied a map, it wouldn't help. I assume that the wide spots, which are generally more packed sand and wide enough for a car (or two) are most likely legal. I generally ride in the northern parts (and don't do any ST, unless I'm on an organized ride)... the last couple times, I've seen a trooper parked in the sand. I'm assuming he was looking for mx bikes or quads (in the areas I ride- NOT Wharton, I'm in a huge minority having a license plate), but I usually turn around when I see a cop. Just an old habit, I guess.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by THier View Post
How do I hookup with folks up there? I want to show my KLR something other than paved roads. I just got some Dunlop 606s, I haven't mounted them up yet, still on stockers, but have a second set of wheels for knobbies.

Thanks,
Tom

Look for someone posting up a ride and see if you can get in with a group. Let someone who know's the area show you around.
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I assume that the wide spots, which are generally more packed sand and wide enough for a car (or two) are most likely legal. .
Best to have a GPS. all the legal roads are named and you can follow any named road as long as there are no "off limits" signs posted. There were some areas made off limits 2 years ago i think because of the 4 wheelers creating huge mud bogs when it was wet and the rangers made it off limits now.
So again, to all the NEWBIES who are riding the Pines, don't just assume that since you pulled up and got into the forest on a road, that you can ride anywhere you please. Sooner or later that kind of stuff will get the whole forest closed off to motor vehicles
Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
When I'm IN the PB, I find the legal roads are difficult to pinpoint. However, I'm horrible with navigation, so even if I studied a map, it wouldn't help. I assume that the wide spots, which are generally more packed sand and wide enough for a car (or two) are most likely legal. I generally ride in the northern parts (and don't do any ST, unless I'm on an organized ride)... the last couple times, I've seen a trooper parked in the sand. I'm assuming he was looking for mx bikes or quads (in the areas I ride- NOT Wharton, I'm in a huge minority having a license plate), but I usually turn around when I see a cop. Just an old habit, I guess.

General rule of thumb...

If the trail (road) is wide enough to allow the rangers to get through with their trucks/jeeps it is legal. If you need barkbusters or feel the trail needs a "trim" chances are you shouldn't be where you are.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is online now   Reply With Quote