User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
1980 KE100 - The Rise of Zombessie

I picked up a 1980 Kawasaki KE100 that langished in a garage for 10 years via Craigslist for $100 and have been slowly getting it road worthy again. My wife named it Bessie, then she started calling it Dead Bessie thanks to Kaylee in an episode of Firefly. This past week the engine stayed running for the first time since I've had it. (Zombessie rises!)

Thus far I've only been able to ride away from a dead stop once, engine keeps dying. Not sure if it's me or the bike, as it's the first I've had since I was 16, 22 years ago.

I have cleaned the carb and noticed a groove on the taper of the float valve and occasionally it leaks fuel fairly quickly, making me think the float valve needs help. I'd like to get a complete carb rebuild kit, but I'm having trouble finding a kit for the 16001-1185 carb. I had bought the Keyster KK-0048 only to find it's not the correct kit, even though it lists as being for 76-99 KE100s.

Anyone have any leads for me to chase?

ihatemybike screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 04:25 AM
ihatemybike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Talk to these guys:

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html

They even have a carb refurb program or can get you a rebuild kit. Might actually be worth the $$ for a brand new carb.

I'd email them and go from there, they are very responsive and know what they're doing.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Talk to these guys:

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html

They even have a carb refurb program or can get you a rebuild kit. Might actually be worth the $$ for a brand new carb.

I'd email them and go from there, they are very responsive and know what they're doing.

And buy the "How To Tune" book too
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
All parts for that carb are still available from the dealer. Cheap.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pulled the carb apart again to take pics and discovered that the float valve was loose. Guess I missed fully tightening it during the cleaning. Took care of that problem then reassembled the carb. Bike wouldn't start, after fighting with it a bit thinking I messed up the carb somehow, I pulled the plug to check for spark. Fouled my first plug, but it was the one that was in it when I bought it. New plug and the bike started second kick and it no longer leaks fuel all over.

Spent a half hour working on my ability to take off from a dead stop, still end up killing the engine quite often. Think I still have some tuning to do as I don't remember the 1971 Yamaha JT-60 I had in my teens being this difficult.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
The little ke100 doesnt have much bottom end grunt... I have an 01, and its not too bad to take off but if you are used to a 4stroke bottom end grunt it takes a bit of getting used to... Just rev it high and dump the clutch... LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My old JT-60 was a two stroke as well, KE-100 really reminds me of it.

My wife, who has more experience piloting clutch equipped vehicles, but has never ridden a motorcycle, tried riding it as well. Thus far we've only been able to ride it by feathering the clutch, a lot. Anything else just kills the engine.

I've decided that I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the carb as it seems like it's starving for fuel. I've taken the carb apart again and will be doing the lemon juice boil that I've seen multiple places on the web. I've also decided to exorcise the Phillips head demons from it while I have it apart.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

i gotta agree with ya on recleaning the carb... heres a vid i took today... i was just having fun with it.....LOL but you can see how i take off...only mods i have done to it is removed most of the restriction in the exhaust, so its got a good bit on the top end, and re-jetted the main... and for an idea on power watch what it can do with my 255#arse on the seat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGH-xVaMCMQ

if you still cant get it running right, i am on the south side of chicago, elgin isnt too far of a ride to go hang out and tune a bike...LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rock, another KE100 rider nearby! I wish my bike was that fun to ride right now. I put the carb back together last night, but the 10 o'clock hour was too late to fire it up and make a bunch of noise.

My wife and I are hosting a wrench fest for our Jeep group on the 13th. Other than Jeep vehicles also get worked into the mix and we'll be grilling. Whether or not I get mine running correctly, you are welcome to come on by. If mine gets to working right, maybe we could have some one-on-one drags.

PM for address and time.

ihatemybike screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 08:06 AM
ihatemybike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
Rock, another KE100 rider nearby! I wish my bike was that fun to ride right now. I put the carb back together last night, but the 10 o'clock hour was too late to fire it up and make a bunch of noise.

My wife and I are hosting a wrench fest for our Jeep group on the 13th. None Jeep vehicles also get worked into the mix and we'll be grilling. Whether or not I get mine running correctly, you are welcome to come on by. If mine gets to working right, maybe we could have some one-on-one drags.

PM for address and time.
Haha as long as its not the morning/afternoon, i should be able to make it, pming you!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Haha as long as its not the morning/afternoon, i should be able to make it, pming you!
We tend to go pretty long on these days. I have plenty to wrench on regardless, so I'll be in the driveway all day.

Ever do any long rides on your KE?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Not yet... I dont even have my motorcycle endorsement, so i cant technically ride it legally yet....LOL but i would love to do a back road trip somewhere....
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'd like to try the Lake Michigan Circle Tour this fall.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
I'd like to try the Lake Michigan Circle Tour this fall.
That would make for an awesome ride report....LOL not sure your size but im a big dude...6'3" 255#... Title it big dudes on little bikes....LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm 6'2" and 235 lbs

Singing, "Big guys on little bikes, big guys on little bikes......."