ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Help needed (maybe) in Sacramento

My son will be competing in the 2013 Iron Butt Rally which has a checkpoint near the intersection of US 50 and Sunrise at the Sacramento Marriott Rancho Cordova.

I hope all will be well when he arrives, but if the bike needs something done he'd like to have a pre-arranged place to do the work.

The really premium deal would be if someone has a workspace with a lift table and is not too far from the hotel, but a lift isn’t a requirement to help. Also local knowledge of auto parts and hardware stores will be a big help.

He's riding a 1994 BMW R1100RS so knowledge of sources of BMW specific items may be handy.

He will arrive on Sunday evening July 7th probably in the early evening and will have to go into scoring soon after. He would like to get everything that needs doing completed by late evening. He has to leave around 6 the next morning.

If you need more info to decide if you want to participate please ask here or PM me.

To read a little about his Iron Butt riding and results to date look here. Note that all the results were achieved with the same bike. It now has 166K miles on the odo.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/See-Jo...03524253003622

Click on the "About" link just below the top picture.

If you are interested in what IB machines look like, the motel parking lot will have lots of them to look at that Sunday.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,055
I'm 6.3 miles from there (about 15 minutes). I have a lift, tools, compressor, Harbor Freight tire changer and a willingness to help.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
I'm 6.3 miles from there (about 15 minutes). I have a lift, tools, compressor, Harbor Freight tire changer and a willingness to help.
Excellent.
I'll send a PM with some info.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 06-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
I've seen Cpt. Ron's garage, and it should be just what you need.

What a nice helpful guy. More applause:
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I've seen Cpt. Ron's garage, and it should be just what you need.

What a nice helpful guy. More applause:
Hopefully, it won't be needed at all. The idea is to check the bike over, prep it for the next stage, then get the rider fed and rested. If they end up at my house, that means work.......

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hopefully, it won't be needed at all. The idea is to check the bike over, prep it for the next stage, then get the rider fed and rested. If they end up at my house, that means work.......
Looks like mission accomplished.

Thank you Ron, your help is MUCH appreciated.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
secoon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thank You Captain Ron!

I just wanted to take a few minutes of your time to express my sincere gratitude to Captain Ron in public.

Ron is as solid as they come!

Not only did he agree to CWC's challenge, he agreed to help another rider as well. Ron spent all day Sunday helping people that he had never met, and did so as if they were his best friends.

When things were slow at his "assigned" space, he ventured out and assisted others that were in need.

The ADV group is truly blessed to have such a member in their ranks.

From the bottom of my heart Ron, Thank You!
secoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,128
How did you do secoon?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Thanks Ron!

Ron not only spent the day helping Iron Butt riders, he helped this lowly Iron Butt volunteer diagnose an electrical problem with my onboard iPad/cell phone charging system.

Thanks again Ron, it was a pleasure meeting you.

I got home yesterday and the ipad still had a tiny bit of power left...;^)

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Thanks

Aw shucks, gentlemen, I'm touched. Before this thread was started, I didn't even know the IBR was going to be going on let alone stopping in my backyard. I've driven much further and sat in worse conditions to help people I don't know for the Vegas to Reno race, so I felt compelled to jump in head first for this. It's just something I like to do. If I can't do it myself, support those who are. When I've run a marathon or raced a dirt bike, I've always had the biggest thrill when people cheered me on. Time for me to pay it forward.

And boy, what a decision I made. Was it wise to support two competitors? Little did I know that both Nye and Coons have done "pretty well" in the past. I got to worrying that I'd piss somebody off. And then the emails, texts and phone calls leading up to the Sacramento pitstop. Believe me when I say I spent WAY more time and energy getting ready for Sunday afternoon than any work I actually DID on Sunday. I guess that's what makes these guys the top of their game. They cover the bases and then parse it down to what really needs to be done. No extra energy spent on something that doesn't get them closer to a bonus or the finish. Or idly talking to strangers in the parking lot while prepping their score sheets...I knew that going in and wasn't bothered by it. I was impressed to see the focus after so many miles on their bikes.

I kind of feel guilty, actually. The only thing I did for John Coons was clean his lights. Sean Coon (no relation)a friend from Chico, took care of the rest. I think I was more support for Sean than John. Shade and a chair can go a long way, right Sean? As for helping Rob, I changed his wheels, burnt out low beam and gas cap (now that's a story in and of itself). Whoop-de-doo...

And then meeting other riders and spectators was a blast. Helping them too helped to get rid of some of the boredom while waiting for our riders to re-emerge from scoring (no work can be done on the bike without the rider present). And I wasn't the only one. There was Rick Mayer making Home Depot runs to get the PVC pipe plug for the XS1100 oil fill plug, the other guy who showed up with a No-Mar tire changer mounted on his pickup hitch, the bearded man with three canopies assisting Wendy....the list goes on.

Now to start combing the web for some local rallies to sign up for....

And like others have said in the other IBR thread, I'm kinda hooked. This is a new motorcycle game that needs my attention.