User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
seniorasi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Touratech Luggage Plate

Anyone use this on an R1200 GSA? I have the stock BMW panniers and top box. The system utilizes pillion grab bars. I'd like to place dry bags laterally but am wondering how much wear the grab bars will cause at the two points.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...00GS-Adventure
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
seniorasi OP
Banned

Bump?

Anyone even see one in use?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I have one similar from TT but it is flat from front to back. Much better for packing stuff. IMHO The only reason to have the one you are asking about is if you plan to remove the front part for a seat and keep the back part on. It does look cool though.
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeRace View Post
I have one similar from TT but it is flat from front to back. Much better for packing stuff. IMHO The only reason to have the one you are asking about is if you plan to remove the front part for a seat and keep the back part on. It does look cool though.
The plan is to remove the pillion seat and replace it with the luggage rack. The only problem I have with it is the pillion grab bars stick up above the pillion seat. I have a top box on the bike as well. I'd like to place two dry bags laterally but am concerned about wear points on the grab bars.

The grab bars are welded to the rear luggage rack that the top box bolts to.

Just wondering if other inmates have the TT set-up like mine and be willing to share the load data.

seniorasi screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 12:20 PM
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
If you have a quality dry bag like a Wolfman, it shouldn't cause any problems. If you look through the "Show us your camping setup" thread, you'll see plenty of 1200GSA bikes with the dry bags attached laterally. The grab bars are smooth and unless you pack yours with hard objects, you should be fine. I don't use my rear seat either and attach my Wolfman duffle the other direction, but its packed with soft items so I wouldn't hesitate to carry it like you want to.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
If you have a quality dry bag like a Wolfman, it shouldn't cause any problems. If you look through the "Show us your camping setup" thread, you'll see plenty of 1200GSA bikes with the dry bags attached laterally. The grab bars are smooth and unless you pack yours with hard objects, you should be fine. I don't use my rear seat either and attach my Wolfman duffle the other direction, but its packed with soft items so I wouldn't hesitate to carry it like you want to.
Thank you for the advice. I have a Kermit chair, tent with poles, etc. Just thought it might be best to pack the hard stuff on the bottom. What's your vote?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

I don't see where it'd be a problem having the tent poles and Kermit packed on top since you'll have a high COG with the top box anyways.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
seniorasi OP
Banned

Good point.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,040
Lose the rear seat,,AND that useless space wasting stock rear rack.
I built a flat plate type rack for the back of my 05 GS,,the stock rack is okay for a passenger grab , but not for much else. I took mine off before it got broken,,
I found a pic,

the plate measured 10x17, tapered in on the sides. I could still use the pillion seat, or just have one big flat surface, great for longer bags and stuff to go all the way across the bike and rest on top of the panniers.
Here's apic of the plate before I removed the passenger grab bar,,never had a passenger,,
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
Lose the rear seat,,AND that useless space wasting stock rear rack.
I built a flat plate type rack for the back of my 05 GS,,the stock rack is okay for a passenger grab , but not for much else. I took mine off before it got broken,,
I found a pic,

the plate measured 10x17, tapered in on the sides. I could still use the pillion seat, or just have one big flat surface, great for longer bags and stuff to go all the way across the bike and rest on top of the panniers.
Here's apic of the plate before I removed the passenger grab bar,,never had a passenger,,
I replaced my GSA rear rack with a BestRest rear cargo plate and it turned my GSA into a mini pickup I wish I could've kept it, but those grab handles on the GSA rack really were useful in getting the bike on the center stand so I sold it.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
seniorasi OP
Banned

Btt

Still looking for a previously owned pillion plate by TT. I promise to give it a good home.