Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #31
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamineye View Post
Great ride, gentlemen! Thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and the company. It was better than I expected in all respects. Looking forward to exploring more of the OAT - and I'm game for any part of it.

Thought I'd post this pic of what I ride after my ride is done for the day. It seemed to be a popular topic of conversation. Ordered yours yet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2604510...57634208178084

Cheers!
So imagine you are out in nowhere land where the "hoot owls mate with the rattlesnakes", it is late in the day, and up ahead you see something under a lone shade tree along the road... i thought it was a trailer or something from a distance and when i when i went blasting by it was a smiling man sitting in a chair next to a dual sport bike... i believe the pic is the actual tree in question...
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #32
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamineye View Post
Great ride, gentlemen! Thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and the company. It was better than I expected in all respects. Looking forward to exploring more of the OAT - and I'm game for any part of it.

Thought I'd post this pic of what I ride after my ride is done for the day. It seemed to be a popular topic of conversation. Ordered yours yet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2604510...57634208178084

Cheers!
Mine is in the mail, ordered yesterday and received a tracking number this morning
I ordered leg extensions as well.

Thanks for letting me try before buying!

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #33
Roamineye
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
So imagine you are out in nowhere land where the "hoot owls mate with the rattlesnakes", it is late in the day, and up ahead you see something under a lone shade tree along the road... i thought it was a trailer or something from a distance and when i when i went blasting by it was a smiling man sitting in a chair next to a dual sport bike... i believe the pic is the actual tree in question...
It is that very tree. Still amazed at how well the plan worked. Glad that you guys stayed on the route. And really glad I had a place to sit while I waited for you guys to show up.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #34
Roamineye
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Mine is in the mail, ordered yesterday and received a tracking number this morning
I ordered leg extensions as well.

Thanks for letting me try before buying!

Happy to help! Looking forward to seeing the leg extensions on our next ride.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #35
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Excellent report and pics. Looks like you had a good weather window, were able to lay down some miles and had a lot of fun.

Nice job.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #36
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
We started out at Lake McMurtry... first night some stayed at Snow Dale State Park By Salina, others cut off earlier and camped at Lake Oologah, Saturday night some stayed at Wister Lake others at Heavner, which are close by each other.

Not sure what you mean by actual map... we went off of the GPX on the first page of the "Making of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail"

I have some google maps of the route if want them... pm me...
Ok, your stops for the day tell me the sections you rode each day. I already have the tracks. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #37
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Nice! I didn't know OK looked so good.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #38
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
North-East Corner of the "OAT"

Gentlemen,

I had a day off yesterday so I thought I would knock off a hunk of the "OAT." It would be difficult for me to get enough uninterrupted time to ride the whole loop knowing it would take me three or four days. So I carved the route up into quarters. I pulled out from OKC yesterday morning at 0730, picked the trail up west of Stillwater and finished approximately eleven hours and 350 miles later when I crawled back out East of Tahlequah.

What a great day of amazingly varied terrain! Cudos to those of you who have worked on the development of this trail. (I can only wonder what folks on some of these more remote tracks are thinking about this increased motorcycle traffic!)

First off, the obligatory picture of Frog Rock:

Kind of an interesting oddity in the middle of no-where. Got to love the ranches up in the north-central part of the state. Growing up on a ranch in western Kansas it is nice to see cattle eating grass that appears to have received good rains!

Stopped for a hamburger in Barnsdall:

Grandma was waiting tables, Grandpa was on the flattop, and the grandkids were taking orders and washing up. The place seats maybe 12 people, so lunch time is crowded--but always worth the trouble for a good burger.

The route takes a weird loop North West of Dewey...found out why and glad it did!

The trails south and east of Salina get really interesting. Road 510 was the only piece that a guy couldn't have ridden on a bagger (if you didn't mind picking up the pieces that rattled off!) Riding clockwise, the first stretch of 510 was fairly steep with pretty good sized loose rocks that made traction a bit dicey. But, it only lasts a 1/4 mile and was the only kind-of technical piece of the whole day. Beautiful stuff along the Illinois River! Most of the day was spent standing on the pegs and cruising at an easy 40 mph or so.

Ended up spending the night at Sequoia State Park east of Tahlequah:

A good ending to a good day. Again, thank you to all of you that have worked to develop this route. The tracks translated into routes quite easily on my Zumo 665--one bridge out, one road closed and both has easy alternatives within a couple miles. I look forward to exploring the remainder of the "OAT" before 2013 ends!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #39
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
I can't wait to see your report on the next sections. Remember the area south of Highway 1 has a dead end towards the end of it. I will post the alternative for you.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #40
mars
Starbucks anyone?

I just compiled a best of OAT into one GPX file that is 598 miles long. You can down load the GPX files in the original "Making of the OAT thread."

The trail starts east of Claremore and ends west of Durant.
Right after you turn off highway 20 west of Claremore you will start a very scenic road east of Salina. The first water crossing you come to starts the property of a Mr. Shoe. Fixator and I met Mr. Shoe who's full name is Hot Shoe. We talked for a minute and I think I could even call him an acquaintance and maybe refer to him as Hot. Hot recommended that we look him up as he was almost famous and sure enough he has a web presence and a custom bike shop in Salina, or Locust Grove or some where near this area. I was especially impressed with his list of friends seen at the bottom of the picture.

Mr. Shoe or Hot as I get to call him invited any of us to camp at his property, any time. I think it sounds like a great weekend trip some time. Perhaps Hot will show up with one of his friends or custom bikes. By the way he was riding an old CB750 Honda on the OAT for a morning ride when we saw him. It was complete with street tires and he was barreling down the dirt road when we met him.
I have carefully marked three distinct technical areas. The northern one is the Freeman Hole large gravel area (cat head size gravel) This is the water crossing right after Freemans Hole.

Then the K-Trail area. The old oat shows the K-Trail continuing to Clayton. That would be a great ride but would take most of a day for me. Here is some of the surface of the K-Trail eastern part.

I will have to say it looks worse in person.
The third area is a short but fun technical area around Crooked Creek West and a little South of Hugo. Lots of big ruts like this one.

and some real dodgy makeshift bridges like this one.

That is a bike swallowing black hole to the left.

mars screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 09:41 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #41
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hey Fellas--------I'm really interested in this ride report.
Not many Oklahoma ride reports-------this will be different it sounds like.
Thanks !!!

BigDog
So, when are we going to be blessed with your presence? Be sure and stop by and visit with Hot Shoe, I think you and he are both musicians if I remember correctly.

mars screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 10:30 PM
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #42
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Nice report. Looks like you had a heck of a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
The route takes a weird loop North West of Dewey...found out why and glad it did!

I think the current OAT follows the track I did back in December. If I remember right, after crossing this bridge I was pretty much in the midst of a group of houses and thinking I was probably on a private road. So, I looped back, hit the blacktop and caught the OAT west of Bartlesville.
This area could and should be rerouted.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #43
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post

I think the current OAT follows the track I did back in December. If I remember right, after crossing this bridge I was pretty much in the midst of a group of houses and thinking I was probably on a private road. So, I looped back, hit the blacktop and caught the OAT west of Bartlesville.
Without going back and checking the routes through there last winter I think the consensus is that there needs to be considerable routing work in Osage County and east of there. We did a lot of pavement and looping around up there. That is a cool bridge and several thought it was worth the loop to get to it. I think there is a way to include it without making a loop.
I used to be be pretty familiar with that country and it is hard to pick a good through route up there, lots of dead ends and restricted oil field roads. Sure is fun riding though!

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
Nice report. Looks like you had a heck of a day.

If you would have kept going you would have come across another cool bridge... they are both pictured in the report... it is not a private road just a little goofy going in a circle... OKlr lives in Osage county, and i think he is planning on working on that part of the route....

This route is really taking shape, if you ask me! i think we have something that all us Okies can be proud of! It will continue to change, evolve and grow... So far i'm really excited how it is coming together...
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #45
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Without going back and checking the routes through there last winter I think the consensus is that there needs to be considerable routing work in Osage County and east of there. We did a lot of pavement and looping around up there. That is a cool bridge and several thought it was worth the loop to get to it. I think there is a way to include it without making a loop.
I used to be be pretty familiar with that country and it is hard to pick a good through route up there, lots of dead ends and restricted oil field roads. Sure is fun riding though!

I think you could continue straight north on CR-N3880 west of Bartlesville and make your way to the bridge without the loop. It looks to be a paved road, however.

There was more pavement on the route than I had expected--I should have paid more attention when setting up the route on Basecamp. But 95% of the paved roads were the "good" kind and fun in their own right.

I have the NW & SW quadrants mapped out and and am just waiting for a day off that is under 95 degrees! Great times!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote