User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Socal996 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Bryce Canyon and Zion In October

Looking to pull a trip together for Bryce and Zion in mid October. The plan would be trailer from Socal to St George and go from there. Looking for suggestions on where to stay, time needed to do the Parks justice, etc. Should I be concerned about weather that time of year? Is there a better time of year to go? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers
Socal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,526
I go up every year about the 3rd week of Sept. Chilly mornings at Bryce(7000'), sweat ya arse off in Zion in the day. Here's some history...http://www.wunderground.com/history/...statename=Utah
Springdale is just outside of Zion with lots of choices. I always stay here... http://www.brycecanyongrand.com/ . It is just across from Ruby's Inn and very centralized for great riding. You are gunna wanna ride Hwy 12 through Escalante, Boulder and up to Torrey. If you don't ride 12, don't go!

Cedar Breaks is fantastic, put that on your list. Also, look up Kolob Reservoir, it's a great ride with a small section of aspens that are stunning.

Why in the world would anyone want to go to Zion?
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
I go up every year about the 3rd week of Sept. Chilly mornings at Bryce(7000'), sweat ya arse off in Zion in the day. Here's some history...http://www.wunderground.com/history/...statename=Utah
Springdale is just outside of Zion with lots of choices. I always stay here... http://www.brycecanyongrand.com/ . It is just across from Ruby's Inn and very centralized for great riding. You are gunna wanna ride Hwy 12 through Escalante, Boulder and up to Torrey. If you don't ride 12, don't go!

Cedar Breaks is fantastic, put that on your list. Also, look up Kolob Reservoir, it's a great ride with a small section of aspens that are stunning.

Why in the world would anyone want to go to Zion?

Yes sir!!! One of the 3 best roads I have ever ridden.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Yes sir!!! One of the 3 best roads I have ever ridden.
What's the other 2?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
MisterDumps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I would give Bryce and Zion about 3 hours each and spend the rest of your time exploring highway 12 and Capitol Reef. Highway 12 is my favorite road in the world.
MisterDumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
TNL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Good Basecamp?

Socal996, I hope you don't mind if I throw a couple questions into the mix, as I am planning a similar trip the first two weeks of June. Hopefully you will benefit as well.

I will be riding out to Santa Fe from DC and spending a few days with my folks before heading up into UT. Realistically, I have about 8 full days to explore the area. Does anybody have recommendations for a good base-camp (or two)? Ideally, I would like to set up camp somewhere near Hwy 12, work from my laptop for a couple days and explore the area on day rides for three or four days. I have a long list of parks, roads, and sites to hit while I am out there and figure that I can save some time by not having to pack and unpack every day. I prefer primitive camping, cheaper is better, and good views are ideal. I will have a mobile hotspot so I don't need a fancy campground with WiFI or anything (as long as there is a cell signal). Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

'07 R1200GS
'03 VROD
TNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDumps View Post
I would give Bryce and Zion about 3 hours each and spend the rest of your time exploring highway 12 and Capitol Reef. Highway 12 is my favorite road in the world.
While Highway 12 is indeed a wonderful road, spending only about 3 hours in each park does not "do the parks justice." Both Bryce and Zion have some great hiking trails, worthy of at least a day (or more) in each park. The trail to Angel's Landing in Zion is like few other trails (and not for those with a fear of exposed places).
Eyes Shut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Torrey, UT was my base camp for 4 nites last July. Hwy 12, Fish Lake, Goblin Valley, Burr Trail, Notom Rd, great little coffee shop across from the camp ground that sits at the intersection of 12 & 24.

Oh, and don't forget Capitol Reef NP. Pic is south of Fruita, looking north.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Socal996 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks to all for the advice certainly looking forward to the trip. Wife loves to ride along and be in the picture and not just looking at it. May spend time Cedar City also. Hoping to find fall colors. Cheers
Socal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
TNL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Advice

Socal,

I will try to get in touch with whatever I learn from my trip in June. I am planning on winging it without any definite plans, so I'm sure I will learn some lessons along the way that I can pass on. Based on what I have seen and heard from the forum, you really can't go wrong. I hope to set up camp for a few days on the south end of Hwy 12, do some day rides, a day hike or two and then do the same on the north end of 12. Hopefully it works out. I'll be in touch!

'07 R1200GS
'03 VROD
TNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
I like Snow Canyon SP near St george
& Kodachrome basin SP
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
What's the other 2?
The Pacific Coast Highway is my Number One.

I'd Put UT 12 at Number Two.

And there are several that I would lump at Number 3 for a variety of reasons. 395 West of Bishop CA comes to mind. I giggled like a kid riding that road. Only people who have ridden that road will understand why. The Cherohala Skyway and Blueridge Parkway are fantastic. The Alcan is gorgeous, but I haven't experienced it on a motorbike.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I gotta try this one

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/58...ce-Canyon.html

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNL View Post
I will be riding out to Santa Fe from DC and spending a few days with my folks before heading up into UT. Realistically, I have about 8 full days to explore the area. Does anybody have recommendations for a good base-camp (or two)? Ideally, I would like to set up camp somewhere near Hwy 12, work from my laptop for a couple days and explore the area on day rides for three or four days. I have a long list of parks, roads, and sites to hit while I am out there and figure that I can save some time by not having to pack and unpack every day. I prefer primitive camping, cheaper is better, and good views are ideal. I will have a mobile hotspot so I don't need a fancy campground with WiFI or anything (as long as there is a cell signal). Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
I did, until you mentioned you needed to work from your laptop. I'm sure you know that cell towers and wireless internet connections are few and far between out there.

Torrey might be a place to check into. I'd suggest Mexican Hat, but I don't think you'd get much done on a dial-up connection!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Moggs023
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
As said Mexican Hat motels have 'dial-up speed'. Was there last year and was really disappointed @ Mexican Hat Lodge but told all were the same by Motel staff. p.s. book ahead...walkin rates are thru the roof
Moggs023 is offline   Reply With Quote