Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #31
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Using a standard puller does not require you to jam them in. If it does, it's too thick and needs to be thinned with a grinder. They won't be for this job as they come off the shelf. Just carefully insert the hook into the seal while keeping it off the inside sealing surface and hook and pull. I think they are much easier to use and control if the seal is really stuck than the type cy pictured. You would have to use both types to find out for yourself but the common hooked pullers are in stock available just about anywhere.
I found a tool shop where they have everyhting. I'm going to scout it out tomorrow. Today was visa extension day and motorcycle permit extension day ... I got a 3rd month on the bike, something unheard of, but lots of polite smiles make all the difference here.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #32
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
There is the ex-Pat bar that has plenty of riders there nightly. It has coordinates:

N 1847.062
E09859.764

I don't have the addy for it.
It's called Riders Corner. I sat and talked to Phil (owner) for a few hours last night and got some pointers as to where to buy tools etc. He didn't have any addresses where I could work on my own bike, which is annoying. I'll ping the ThaiVisa forum maybe.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #33
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oh and I got the seal today as well. $30, "same same" price as in the US.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #34
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

The only puller I coul find was like the one CY posted a picture of earlier. I've replaced a few rear main seals, and those are a bear ... How much easier is this seal in comparison? I'm hesitant to start and then get stuck ..
Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #35
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

The seal was replaced yesterday. The whimpy puller turned into a straight pin upon first use. We ended up drilling 3 holes and using Gyproc screws, which did the trick. A fair time spent sanding with 2000 grit paper and things were smooth again. It seems sealed, as no more oil appears. There is indeed a shoulder to bottom out the seal to. Changed all the drive line oils too. Tranny was still perfect color, same with the driveshaft. The final drive was coffee with milk. I'll replace the latter one of these days after a good long drive to warm it up.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #36
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
The seal was replaced yesterday. The whimpy puller turned into a straight pin upon first use. We ended up drilling 3 holes and using Gyproc screws, which did the trick. A fair time spent sanding with 2000 grit paper and things were smooth again. It seems sealed, as no more oil appears. There is indeed a shoulder to bottom out the seal to. Changed all the drive line oils too. Tranny was still perfect color, same with the driveshaft. The final drive was coffee with milk. I'll replace the latter one of these days after a good long drive to warm it up.
glad to hear you are fixed!!!

just making sure you are aware of final drive modification for R80G/S. drain fill plug is vented so if you are doing lots of water crossings. water getting inside final drive would explain milky oil..

Final drive breather mod.
Breather hose for Final Drive
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #37
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post

How did you drive in the seal?
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #38
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57 View Post
How did you drive in the seal?
Just started it by pressing in place manually, then slight tapping with a hammer and a block of wood. Slowly does it.