Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Dualsport Crazy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Conti Trail Attacks 2

Hi Folks...

Has anyone tried on the new Conti Trail Attacks 2. Need some feed back on it if any inmates are currently using them.

I tried to get a front tire but no one seems to have any stock & its on back order currently.

Thanks ...
Dualsport Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
ABuck99

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Crazy View Post
Hi Folks...

Has anyone tried on the new Conti Trail Attacks 2. Need some feed back on it if any inmates are currently using them.

I tried to get a front tire but no one seems to have any stock & its on back order currently.

Thanks ...
Expected to be in distributor inventory by June 25/28th give a few days to reach retailer inventory.

If you have any expectation for dirt action with ContiTrail Attak2 tires, grip is limited like any of the so called 90/10 tires. On road, its a very good long lasting tire. But IMO- I believe that the all around tire that still stands out for road and moderate off road is the old tired & true MT90 Pirelli. It delivers excellent combination of on road/moderate off road grip and long lasting performance for the money.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,586
Quote:
... Need some feed back on it if any inmates are currently using them.
A friend of mine, an ex-racer, loves them for the pavement.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98

Installed them last week, only about 350 km's done so far, dry, warm weather. Very pleased with them on road.
As a novice rider I have no problem riding the front tire edge to edge.

There is a bit of a wobble at 150 km/h but I think the wheel is not balanced since I installed them myself.

No idea how they ride in the wet, but can't be worse then the standard scorpions...

Mileage... well I'm curious about that as well.
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,231
I'm on my second set of T/A's. Not the new 2 version though.
They are awesome for pavement. I stay totally clear of dirt. Pretty much a slick in the dirt.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Dualsport Crazy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Guys for all your input ......

ABuck99 ..... I mainly do alot of pavement riding & currently have a set of Trail attacks on my bike. Love them except when I discovered yesterday some cracks between the threads & cupping on the front tire.

The other thing that I noticed was the rears were made in Germany & the fronts were made somewhere in Korea or Taiwan which is why I guess the front is giving away faster than the rear. May be I'm wrong !!!!

I hope the front Trail Attacks 2 are made in Germany, or are of a better quality.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
They are awesome for pavement. I stay totally clear of dirt. Pretty much a slick in the dirt.
^^Agreed.

I bought my bike with these already installed on it - confidence building tire for sure. Nice at speed and they seem fine in the wet (not tested on standing water).

I also have a set of Scorpions and a Heidenau/Mefo combo which i'll be spooning on in a few weeks for some FSR riding.

M.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I have 2 sets of wheels and like the grip of the T/A's on pavement so much I have never put my Mefo equipped wheels back on in 2 years. Under mostly dry summer conditions I go out any dirt road I want with the T/As. I don't find them that scarry. Been thru several huge water holes with no problem.. though.. I'm sure the right mud would stop you dead.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
ABuck99

Oddometer: 462
Cupping- I ran these on my GSA- the fronts cupped after about 4,000 miles- I think its the tread profile, opens ip a little on the edge- and as you lean it into a turn, you can feel the vibe's a little- more at low speed than high speed. They still handled well into the 7000 mile range when I swapped them out.

Btw- 90/90-21 Front is Bias ply not radial, maybe that some of the difference you experienced??

Quote:
Thanks Guys for all your input ......

ABuck99 ..... I mainly do alot of pavement riding & currently have a set of Trail attacks on my bike. Love them except when I discovered yesterday some cracks between the threads & cupping on the front tire.

The other thing that I noticed was the rears were made in Germany & the fronts were made somewhere in Korea or Taiwan which is why I guess the front is giving away faster than the rear. May be I'm wrong !!!!

I hope the front Trail Attacks 2 are made in Germany, or are of a better quality.

Thanks

ABuck99 screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 03:20 PM
ABuck99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,565
9600 miles on my set as I write. No issues, Wet or Dry, even mild off road forest roads are fine (as long as they aren't wet or muddy). On the tarmac, they are very nice, the layover is quick with this front tire due to its profile, it can be scary at first, especially going from a full on knob to these. They are a worthy tour tire. I'm feeling like I'll easily get 12,000 out of em, and it seems they are wearing the same and will need replacement at the same time. Unusual for this bike, usually it was a 2-1 ratio of back to front. The front is wearing with a very slight cup, but not enough to worry. Rear is getting a flat area in the center due to the slab excursions.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
I believe that the all around tire that still stands out for road and moderate off road is the old tired & true MT90 Pirelli.
I was reading a thread either here or on the Hubb (senior moment) and one of the replies stated the MT90 was a softer compound than the T/A (not the new one though).

I like the MT90 too as a combo tire where shingle roads etc can be riden with ease and possibly a little more trust than the T/A at least for wet/shingle etc.

Can anyone confirm if the MT90 is softer than the T/A ....mainly for better road holding?
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,396
Can't find the thread ....driving me nuts.

Did find this one although older (2008) has some interesting comparos

http://gsri.info/forum/board1-techni...he-right-tire/
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Dualsport Crazy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 Thanks Folks for all your inputs.....

Will definitely be going in for the Conti T/A 2. They are currently on backorder here in Canada & have an ETA for mid July or even earlier delivery in the U.S by the end of the month.

Its worth the wait since I can still put on a few hundred or a thousand klicks on my current Conti's T/A's.

Cheers,

Al
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #14
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Gotta disagree with the "slick" characterizations off-road.

I have ridden these a LOT on gravel, including a road that had been bladed up from the borrow ditches with sand, gravel, topsoil, babyheads, and clumps of weeds several inches deep, and those damn tires have never put a foot wrong, even at speeds I know aren't sensible. Hell, I found myself on a muddy county road this spring expecting a rodeo, and nothing untoward happened.

I won't single-track 'em, but I've given up worrying about these tires on gravel roads.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Oddometer: 75
Thumb

The Conti TrialAttack 2K version is standard on the 1190. Been riding it for about 2300 km now and managed to try the tires through tarmac, gravel, sand & mud.

On tarmac they are like any street racing tire I've ever tried before. Good grip also in tight corners and wet tarmac. Recommended!

On gravel they are WAY better than expected! With lowered pressure (1.7/2.0 bars, normal 2.4/2.9 bars) they had "full grip" in low as well as high speeds (100+ km/h) through both gravel, stony gravel and sandy gravel (!). As long as it's dry! Recommended...

In sand (think beach) they laugh you in the face where you stand. As expected. Not recommended.

Well yes, I tried them in the mud mostly for fun of course. Bike crashed after only a few meters! Well at least I gave it a try! Obviously not recommended!

After 2300 km on the 1190, riding it fairly hard, the back wheel worn maybe 2 mm on the middle. The front looks brand spanking new still!

AdvIvan screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 04:24 AM
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote