User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
motnz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Bmw r65 ls

Hi Guys, long time reader and I'd thought it was about time i share what I've been working on for the last few months.

The story:
I purchased the bike about 4 months ago now from an old guy who rode it around Scotland & the UK then shipped it all the way back home to New Zealand. He was a retired engineer and had a full workshop in his garage which he used to replace the whole engine in the R65 with a fresh one from the UK. Unfortunately for him his movement in his legs started to deteriorate and before long, it was too hard for him to ride. He decided to put it up for sale on a local auction site which is where I snapped it up for a very good price. It included buckets of parts and the previous spare engine which was still in good nic.

I have spent the last 3 months riding the bike as is and enjoying the beautiful summer NZ has to offer while pondering what road to go down in terms of style...cafe...brat...hmm.

Top of Piha hill - West Auckland.

I work in a custom bike shop part time while at University and see alot of amazing bikes coming through like Vincents, Triumphs, BSA, Nortons, MV Augusta's, Ducati's. We are really lucky that some of the largest motorcycle collectors in NZ use us for work on their treasures and some of the bikes would be the only example in NZ if not Australasia.
Another positive of working at the bike shop is the knowledge the guys have and the tools etc available which is really priceless.

Here is the bike when i first got it. For you guys who don't know much about BMW'S, the R65 is one of the less sought after models of airheads due to them being only 650cc, many people finding them underpowered which mean they are alot cheaper than than the R80. Of course it only being a 650, it wouldn't compete with a R100 etc but it still goes well and puts a smile on my face around the corners, due to the frame being smaller, they do handle very well compared to their bigger brothers.

The LS is different to the standard R65 with a 'Katana' styled front fairing and twin Brembo brakes at the front.

Along with us being a workshop, we also have a big stock of aftermarket parts including Motogadget speedos

With the speedo in my hot little hands, the stripdown of the front began..

New Tommaselli headlight ears

Here is what she looks like to date. I have fabricated up a mount for the speedo out of some alloy plate which will be shaped and finished this week.

So this week I will wire up the speedo etc and get it all functional.

As I'm a poor student, the build will be pretty slow but will keep you all updated!
motnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,632
Not bad, not bad at all.

I started working on my /5 as a poor student, too. And keep working on it.

--Bill
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
It is a pity you strip down one of the best motorcycle BMW made. And one of the finest looking too. Add to this the R65LS is quite rare and you'll understand why I'm angry.
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
I must call in and have a look at your shop. I hardly go into the city as my bikes like going the other way.
Prepping the R90 for Hampton Downs this coming Sunday, should be a hoot.

Don't forget to keep all the bits you take off in case one day you want to move it on.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesgiralt View Post
It is a pity you strip down one of the best motorcycle BMW made. And one of the finest looking too. Add to this the R65LS is quite rare and you'll understand why I'm angry.
fashion of the times be damned, I have to agree with this.

Already such a simple clean and minimal design. I could see cafe chopping an RT, but not this.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,383
Have to tell you the part you call a speedo is a tachometer. Still a nice thing to have in my book.

Have fun with it. Don't mind the Old Geezers being upset. They had their chance.

another ole geezer, Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
fashion of the times be damned, I have to agree with this.

Already such a simple clean and minimal design. I could see cafe chopping an RT, but not this.
You can kinda split the difference too. parts that aren't on it can be preserved in better condition and get less wear. So if you make NO "hard" changes, or make those changes to other parts, not your originals, then it's still there. of course if you don't restore it to original configuration to sell it then it won't look "adult owned" and even with every original part, the value will take a major hit. Could be a good or bad thing. But kids tend to simply discard their toys when they are finished with them. Getting restored to original config is going to be somone elses problem---the chances are great it will simply get parted for the most gain, or ratted.

But, I rather like that gauge setup and it preserves the fragile&costly original in a box on a shelf (one hopes). If the the harness doesn't get hacked (yeah, right) it can always go back on.

Much as I harsh on the KafeKids, I do a lot of customizing on my bikes. The /5 had a few /2 bits. The /7 has bits from the old /5. Aluminum fork caps and turn signals rather than the cheezy plastic ones, molding lines polished away on the aluminum controls, the prettier /5 grab handle, stainless here and there. Cloisonne /5 tank badges. I'm looking to replace the plastic steering dampener knob with something nice. Other mods are purely functional. Mostly in the electrics but also suspension and brake stuff. Nothing that shows much except the additional instrumentation.. Next time the main instruments go out they will not be repaired. I'd just as soon get some VDO stuff that lasts. Then paint and polish..like that. It might get wrecked but it will never be sold and like the /5, the best parts will go forward onto the next one if that ever happens.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
motnz OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the input and comments guys. I appreciate some people like to preserve the originality of their bikes (as do I), but thats not my intention with this bike. I purchased the bike to strip it down (partially) and build something that I like, not to please the eyes and minds of others.

My bad about incorrectly naming the instrument, I do refer to them as speedos even though the tacho function is larger than the digital speedo readout.

I have kept all the original parts with the intention to pass them onto the next owner but I have a feeling ill be keeping this bike for a while. I always seem to regret selling my bikes and cars...

Follow along with the build if you will, I would grately appreciate any positive and supporting comments. Others, please find another thread to spill your opinions on.

Voltaire, you should come by one day for a coffee and see the place. Few BMW's around!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by motnz View Post
/snip.... build something that I like, not to please the eyes and minds of others.

---->

I can think of few things as rare as a builder who doesn't hope their work will find favor in the eyes and minds of others, that will be admired, that will inspire....and that will reflect favorably on the builder him(her)self. We all wanna make and do things that make others go "Wow!", and we all want to be liked, admired and respected.

If you didn't want to please, you wouldn't be posting this thread. You would be off in you garage ignoring the world and making yourself happy. I got a whole bunch of naked Barbie Dolls at the thrift store for super cheap (the clothes are the spendy part). I was going to make an "Art Mower" with them bolted all over my ratty lawnmower....much like some of the art cars I have seen in SoCal with crap stuck all over them. But then I figured it would weird my neighbors out a whole lot more than they already are with me around...it wouldn't have been a project solely for me---I couldn't help thinking of them. And I like my loud pipes, figured I'd spend my neighborhood who-the-fuck-is-that-guy quotient on them. You only get so much, run out and they hassle ya.

The 'rat' crowd tries to play anti-hero with this...they fail of course. They are still thinking about how they are coming across to everybody. They are still trying to be appealing in their own circle. They are still externally focused (to meet their needs) and they are pretty conformist and seldom original.

There are some pictures on my site of Thunder Mountain. That is someone who didn't care what anyone thought. Simon Rodia very likely didn't care either. These are very deep artists. They follow a powerful internal vision and ain't nobody else in the picture unless they have to make some money. They are internally focused and seek what they need within themselves. Extremely unusual individuals.

I would like to see a Cafe bike that is really original, really creative...that doesn't follow the tried and true (and safe) cafe formulas. I think I've seen one in years and it generated strong split opinions on whether it looked good or not. That's a good sign. If everybody likes it, it's boring. The masses define mediocrity.

But I don't think that's really the trip. It's more about solving the usual problems and meeting the styling formula in whatever way fits resources and meets personal taste. And I have seen some very nice moves...that is things I personally like. The way a switch was handled, or a light, or some upholstery, or a bracket.

As an aside, if you know what the "A" pillar on a car is, see how many cars you can spot that don't have that pillar pointing at the center of the front wheel. It is one of the defining factors in automotive styling formulas.

I would store your original stuff with care. it is very useful...you may come across another bike, cheap, that needs what you have---and then you can have one of each. One for go and another for show.

The R65 has arguably the fewest interchangeable parts of any of the airheads. If you are doing extensive customizing you care little except to keep it running. But that also makes some things more valuable and if you end up selling off some bits to finance other bits (like a gearing change for more jump or some power improvements for the motor or having something expensive fabricated or modified, like a tank....

I would make sure it runs very well before touching the wiring or screwing with (up) the motor like with pods and mufflers. Helps you keep track of where you are and how to not mess it up too badly mechanically.

Plaka screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 01:55 AM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Damn, I thought your computer was gonna run out of ink! Quite the manifesto
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
motnz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
---->

I can think of few things as rare as a builder who doesn't hope their work will find favor in the eyes and minds of others, that will be admired, that will inspire....and that will reflect favorably on the builder him(her)self. We all wanna make and do things that make others go "Wow!", and we all want to be liked, admired and respected.

I would make sure it runs very well before touching the wiring or screwing with (up) the motor like with pods and mufflers. Helps you keep track of where you are and how to not mess it up too badly mechanically.

Please leave your negativity to other forms of outbursts, preferably not on my thread.

I do not wish to sound rude, but I will be if people like you have nothing better to do than to sit at your computer and post ignorant bull shit like that.

I have found this site insightful in the past and thought some people may be interested in what I'm doing with my airhead. It wasn't my intention for keyboard warriors to post insulting comments like ones seen in this thread, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe that's the culture on here?

If this thread ends up as another "don't cut this up" "not another cafe" or "don't put pod filters on it" kind of thread, I'll delete it. I'm happy either way.

You choose.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #12
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,564
motnz-

I know it's not a small island, you don't know motu (inmate) by chance?

He rides an unorthodox r65 !
Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by motnz View Post
It wasn't my intention for keyboard warriors to post insulting comments like ones seen in this thread, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe that's the culture on here?

Dude, lighten up.. I haven't seen anything posted that could be considered "insulting comments".

If you're going to show us all your build, or your ideas on custom bikes, be prepared for actual real and honest comments.

If you join in, you're opening your (bike) up to that. That's the game here, unless of course you want someplace where it's all saccharine coated ego injections, void of all criticism.

9 x out of 10 you'll get favorable comments anyway, but if you're showing us all "your work", cast away the thin skin.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
motnz - First off - welcome to the forum.

Be prepared to receive more anguish for what you've done to, what appears to have been, a survivor in excellent condition. You're ignorance of this model is apparent in the first posting (smaller frame - NOT! - and less power - only slightly). Before even getting to know the old girl she's getting a make-over.

I'm guessing that if she wasn't acceptable in her original condition, she won't be afterward - still underpowered and undesirable. Who gave you these ideas?

I'd love to build an R65 scrambler or something custom - but I sure wouldn't chop up a perfectly good example.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
I've got no dog in this fight and know nothing about ther 65ls but if they are indeed this rare and you guys are lusting for them, they seem to show up on the local CL all the time. There is at least one on it now. (sfbay)
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote