Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 257
I had a couple of Paralever GS airheads back in the 90's.. both sold prior to 40,000 miles, so I never got the chance to do the long-term driveshaft mileage test. At the time, I heard from several wrenches at local BMW shops that the R was less prone than the GS to failure, given the shorter suspension and shallower driveline angles. Great bikes, either way..
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
IMHO the mono is the better handling bike. I totally agree with SS when it come to the mono's.
The R100R with its paralever is smoother but when accelerating in corners it pulls the rear down a bit which makes you loose ground clearance

The mono's lift the rear when accelerating which makes the bike steer into a corner and gives more ground clearance.
The surprises start when you close the throttle in a corner and the valve covers hit the pavement hard That's when the adrenalin comes

The forks of the R100R are much smoother than (most) mono forks.
But like SS told they do have bad chrome. And a lot less wheel travel !!!!!!
The damping system on both forks is far from good but could work good enough for most riders.

The front of the R100R is to high and makes the bikes drop into tight corners and also makes the bike run to the outside of long fast corners. Putting the fork tubes trough the triples helps a lot to improve the handling. But you cant put them trough far enough because the handle bars are restricting that.

On my girlfriends R100R I used handle bar raisers to make room for putting the tubes 40 mm trough the triples and used a much longer shock on the back than stock to improve the handling even more.

In one of my mono's I mounted a R100R fork. Those brakes are better than the mono's brembo's. But there is a big difference in the rotors. The stock mono rotors have a more aggressive bite than the R100R semi floating rotors.
The stock mono brakes are more than good enough IMO. Its the tire that can't handle better brakes.

When you would compare the torque curves of the two bikes its great to see the difference.
The R100R has a totally different curve compared to the R100 mono.
The lines of the mono are much smoother. Which makes the bike smooth trough the whole rev range.
If you are riding together with guys on the R100R and on the mono's look at how often the brake light comes on on the R100R compared to the mono. The engine braking is a lot better on the mono !!!!

I changed the the carbs from 40 to 32 on my girlfriend R100R which made the bike faster from the start and helped the engine braking a bit but not enough. The shape and size of those heads and valve sizes are the same of those bikes except the difference in carb month. The final drive ratio might have been the next thing on the "to do list" but she sold the bike and bought a mono. And now she is chasing big sport bikes in corners which is so much easier on the mono

They are both great bikes and its all a personal thing.(But I would always go for the mono)

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,292
I rode a few Mystics, which I assume feel like the (modern) R100R, fun bike but it felt heavier and less nimble than my Mono.

There's some good comments here, but to me the Para airheads look like a stop gap between the future oilheads and the old airheads, kind of wonky design. For me anyway, that means something.

Mono love

1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 625
Upgrade the Shockie ( I went for YSS ) ... and then you really can appreciate the handling of a mono.

I have two mono's .. so I guess I have twice the love.

Oh Zodiac .. I don't think you have posted much since you up grade to the 336 Cam .. like to know how all that went
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100LT View Post
Upgrade the Shockie ( I went for YSS ) ... and then you really can appreciate the handling of a mono.

I have two mono's .. so I guess I have twice the love.

Oh Zodiac .. I don't think you have posted much since you up grade to the 336 Cam .. like to know how all that went

I went for a Progressive, completely planted and no hop on acceleration when compared to the stocker.

ps for R100LT:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=52
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
red tag OP
lost at sea

Oddometer: 11
Thanks everyone, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Not that I've made a decision...
red tag is offline   Reply With Quote