Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
There are quite a few. Carrier , Toshiba , Fujitsu , Mitsubishi , Tadiran , LG . There are others that escape me right now. Most important is dealer/service network in your area.
+1 so call local dealer and ask them, also ask their customers.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 291
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Had a salesman over yesterday. His thoughts were that a mini-split system with one compressor outside, and an 18K BTU interior unit in the living room/dining room/kitchen area, and 12K and a 9K units in a couple of the bedrooms would heat and cool the house comfortably.

He has the top installer rating from Mitsubishi, is a certified installer for the power company rebate program, and seemed to know what he was talking about. Or he was just a great salesman.

Have to see what kind of number$ he comes back with.
If he proposes three outdoor units, ask him for the price for a multi-zone system.

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/...lti-zone-units

Multi-zone outdoor units connect from two up to eight indoor units and provide individualized comfort control to interior spaces.

More copper lines to run, but installing and maintaining one single outdoor unit will probably save you some money.
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
I'm pretty interested in this because my place is gonna need mini-split if I want ac. I got the Mitsubishi booklet and I like the options there is thou not sure where the head units would go. My opinon is that if i 'm gonna spend the money I don't want what the salesman says should be adequate but something that easily will cool the house down. I also think just having one big outdoor unit outside instead of 2 is a better setup.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
I'm pretty interested in this because my place is gonna need mini-split if I want ac. I got the Mitsubishi booklet and I like the options there is thou not sure where the head units would go. My opinon is that if i 'm gonna spend the money I don't want what the salesman says should be adequate but something that easily will cool the house down. I also think just having one big outdoor unit outside instead of 2 is a better setup.
The head units typically mount high up (top third) on the interior wall.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
jad3675
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post

Mike
Or, there are concealed duct units, along with ceiling and low mount wall units. You don't need to stick with the ugly typical high mount wall units.

John
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Bigger is not better . They have to run to dehumidify. Too big doesn't run long enough.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #22
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post

Mike
I know, my dad takes care a places that had them and the way my windows are they might not fit. I like the ducted ones they have or the big ceiling one but that's some big ca-ching.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #23
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Bigger is not better . They have to run to dehumidify. Too big doesn't run long enough.
Yep I've heard that before. My friends house is 15 years old and we've done a bunch of insulating and last year in the heat their a/c ran non stop and barely could keep up.

I know these aren't cheap but the other option is rip out my hot water heat and go with forced air and heat but that's really expensive.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 892
I have an LG 2 ton high seer mini split in my drive through coffee trailer. Its super efficient and really kicks out cold air and heat in the winter. Has the variable speed compressor. Cost me about $1200 ordering it online. Installed it myself a couple years ago. No probs, LG is a solid brand for these things.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
Speedo66 OP
Transient

Oddometer: 6,603
Quote:
Had a salesman over yesterday. His thoughts were that a mini-split system with one compressor outside, and an 18K BTU interior unit in the living room/dining room/kitchen area, and 12K and a 9K units in a couple of the bedrooms would heat and cool the house comfortably.

He has the top installer rating from Mitsubishi, is a certified installer for the power company rebate program, and seemed to know what he was talking about. Or he was just a great salesman.

Have to see what kind of number$ he comes back with.
He came back with approx. $7K for the units and material, $3K for labor, $1K for electrical work, plus tax. After rebates, etc., final figure comes down to about $10K.

I think his unit cost is high. I see these advertized for less to consumers, figure as a pro he should be getting a better price. Going to talk to him about that and see what happens.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
He came back with approx. $7K for the units and material, $3K for labor, $1K for electrical work, plus tax. After rebates, etc., final figure comes down to about $10K.

I think his unit cost is high. I see these advertized for less to consumers, figure as a pro he should be getting a better price. Going to talk to him about that and see what happens.
That sucks and your setup sounds like what I would need at my place so I'll be sweating for years to come. His prices aren't really out ta line when you compare to this site.

http://www.acdirect.com/ductless_cooling_heating_.php
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
jad3675
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I was quoted very similar prices for an almost identical setup. Needless to say, I bought the equipment online and I'm in the process of installing it myself.

John
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
I was quoted very similar prices for an almost identical setup. Needless to say, I bought the equipment online and I'm in the process of installing it myself.

John
What site did you buy from and about what kinda savings did you get.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
jad3675
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What site did you buy from and about what kinda savings did you get.
eComfort.com. I went with Fujitsu, 36K BTU outside unit, two 9k and a 12k inside unit. Was just a hair over $4K to my door (I had them price match greendroplet.com). I've spent about $600 in ancillary bits - copper, wire, lineset hide and ducting (I went with concealed units), and it'll cost me $200 to have the neighborhood HVAC guy perform the vacuuming and startupof the unit. I was quoted $9850 to have the same unit installed, so I'm saving about half. Skipthewarehouse.com has excellent pricing on lineset hides and other install pieces. They're great to deal with, also.

John
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the info, i'll have to check the stuff out thou you don't get the longer warranty not using the dealer but oh well. This project is atleast a few years down the road and honestly if my quote was gonna be around 10k like the OP i'd rather go thru the headache and install forced air and not have the units hanging on the wall.
The only other thing that could help me is i don't really need the heating part of these since i have my hot water heat so that should help drop some on the price. I do like the fact with these that instead of cooling 2 bedrooms i don't ever really use i can jut cool my bedroom and then the living/dining room area.

1greenmachine screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 07:30 AM