User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Brazil World Cup 2014

So... I am driving a KTM 990 2012 down to Phx AZ to pick up KLR650 and we are heading down to Brazil for the World Cup. We will be in Sal Paulo for the opener and Rio for the final. We have a bunch of tickets in different cities and this should be a great trip.

Right now I am on my way to PHX and should be there this weekend.

I will be posting pictures and this should be a great time!

Hope you can follow along and enjoy!

Lem
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Subscribed!! Cant wait, World Cup is the best!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,679
I'm in! Lots of pictures please.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,285
Thumb

This sounds like a cool ride...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
where in phx?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

A real bed in San Fran

So it is nice to actually get a real bed and real food for a night... and I have not even been on the road for a week yet... this could get long

I am currently visiting my aunt and uncle outside of San Fran where I can do some laundry and figure out this smugmug/photobucket thing...

I have some hopefully cool video from my GoPro but I apperantly had the timing backwards from the videos that i wanted....

So for those that are interested in the soccer stuff here is a bit of what I have. KLR650 can post his own later.

I have games 9, 21, 30, 41, 46, 53, 60; which are mostly in Brasilia with two Manaus games thrown in for fun. I have the USA vs Portugal which I am very excited to see!

For the motorcycle part of the trip... This is my first LONG bike trip (>4 weeks) so this will be a very new experience for me. Do I know what I am in for... not at all but I am hoping to have a great time and I will just modify and adjust as things keep coming at me.

CYBERDOS - honestly I don't know. I have a friend that wants me to watch the rangers play on Saturday and I am going to the RenFest on Sunday. Monday I am meeting up with KLR650. I have no idea where any of this is in relation to the area...

You up for a beer? :)

Done about 1000 miles so far. hoping for ~30,000 more :)

Lem
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
miguelitro
Chuchaki

Oddometer: 844
Awesome.

You have a place to crash and regroup here if need be.

Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #8
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

Will follow up with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
Awesome.

You have a place to crash and regroup here if need be.

Mike

Thanks man!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

Last long day

So... I am now just outside the PHX area. I am meeting up with KLR650 Sunday night. I am just kicking it with some high school and college friends till then.

I did about 650 miles from San Fran today that just kicked the crap out of my beard.... I know need pictures to prove that still working on the photobucket account... I think I got it now.

Anyway.... my final plans before I actually cross the boarder into mexico...

Catch a Spring Training game and go to a Ren Faire...

On the drive down today ended up meeting some other soccer fans from the PHX area that I am gonna try to catch beers with tomorrow evening

Anyone got a good suggestion for a last meal in america before I leave this country for 6 months?

Lem
Old 03-22-2014, 03:14 AM   #10
Tiffany
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,087
Laugh Envious as hell!

Hey Lem
That is such a cool trip - I would love to
a) Ride to a major sporting event
b) Be in Brazil to watch football - they love it out there.

They also love motorcyclists - you will be treated really well wherever you go, and look out for bike events, they have great weekends of all things bike-related.

Looking forward to following your progress riding and also the USA team's progress in the competition!

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #11
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

On the Mutha Truckin ROAD!

So. Here is the start of my actual blogging.. up till now I have just kinda been going along and what not. Yesterday I actually had a camera and so took pictures and now we are moving and shaking and got pictures (and video) to prove it.

The video is gonna have to wait cause I don't have the time right yet to put it up but I do have some clips that I think I can make interesting.

Today we did about 375 miles from Phoenix Az to San Felipe Mexico, down the 5.

Crossing the boarder was done at Mexicali, we didn't have any real issues crossing the boarder. Took about 30 minutes. Man the exchange rate certainly make my bank account look HUGE!

Once we got through the boarder we got a little gas and headed onto the 5. Hopefully there is some video from the fun parts that I can throw in, but that is a lot of miles to get out here. Once you are here though, totally worth it! Beach bums for life anyone?

Had some fish and shrimp tacos on the beach and headed back to the room where we were greeted by the guests next door on 4 duel sports that are doing single tracks down here in the baja for 10 days! Hey Catfish, got you signature. You might not make Brazil but your signature will! As we stood around talking bikes KLR650's bike needed a little work done, loose foot peg and the wheel was way out of alignment. Out come the tools and washers and lock-tight, 15 minutes later 4 guys draped all over the bike. Peg is fixed and onto the front wheel.

The Triple tree proved to much for my drive adapter but eventually we got the wheel more lined up... Looks like a previous owner might have crashed hard and bent some stuff WAY out. Needless to say the help and hands were wonderful and beers are certainly owed!

[IMG][/IMG]

Tracker on the route...

[IMG][/IMG]

My Ride

[IMG][/IMG]

KLR's Ride

[IMG][/IMG]

Just gonna nap right here....

[IMG][/IMG]

Boys and their toys....

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Catfish!

Off to bed now!

Lem
Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

Baja

Start of a full day on the ROAD! Woke up at a gorgeous sunny day in the great city of San Felipe Mexico! Had a nice little walk on the beach and started the day with a berry smoothie. Got the bikes loaded and bid “Fair Well!” to our new ADV friends! Hit the road for about 2 minutes before we had our first real drop of the trip... a little soft sand and a quicker turn then needed and OPPS! Pictures were taken an recompense of require beer buying was made at dinner...

We continued down Mexican 5 headed for 1. For those that follow the Baja progress this typically is followed by sighs of regret and remembrance as they are continuing to pave the highway more and more. As myself and KLR have never been down here before we ended up enjoying every smooth curve and glorious cresting of another hill coming away with a beautiful crisp blue sea greeting you for miles. We went to the end of the current paved road and ran into some Ex-Pats and followed the locals to a wonderful little restaurant on the beach. KLR had some serious thoughts about screwing the rest of the trip and just staying on the beach... not enough women in bikini's yet... but soon... oh so soon...

As we were headed out one of the ex-pats put a hole in their tranny, and fluid spewed out... We stopped and attempted to help only finding out the the Saturn car manual provided an excellent piece of knowledge about their transmission system... “The transmission fluid doesn't need to be checked, nor does it leak. If there is a leak, there is a problem and you need to take the car to a dealer.” Well, I am sure that we can get RIGHT ON THAT... They went and got the local mechanic and things seemed to be under control so we headed out for the remaining unpaved portion of the Baja – 5.

Note on our riding histories... neither of us have extensive knowledge/practice/expertice on dirt or sand.

KLR dropped his bike about 0.5 km into the sand when we decided to try the more rocky but potentially stabler dirt road on the side. We had a some decent success with KLR leading the way and setting a steady pace of 20-25 mph. (neither of us have kmph, his is faded, my bike won't change...) after about 9 miles we took a breather and found that we had quite a bit to go. Some travelers from BC Canada where going the other way and told us that we only had about 14 miles to go to Coco's Corner. Obviously this was the goal for anyone doing this drive so we saddled back up and headed to meet the famous man.

We found the trail to be wonderful and more and more challenging, we started gaining more and more confidence to. As we got about 4 miles from Coco's we stopped and set a challenge that the last to the corner had to buy the beer. Challenge accepted. Armed with a bit of an incentive we pushed the pace and found the road to continue to improve. KLR was first to the line and rounds were on me.

Coco set us on our way with directions and good luck for Guerrero Negro. The final 14 miles on the road turned out to be the best but we think our cameras died somewhere along the way. We are still hoping to put that together as that was an excellent adventure!

We then pounded pavement down to Guerrero Negro, only being stopped at a check point when our answer to “where are you heading?” of “Brazil!” drew looks and then we explained “Copa de Mundo” in my terrible spanish and with a thumbs up and a wave we made wonderful time.

Here in Guerrero Negro we found a hotel with internet and warm water for $30 for the night. Sounds like a steal! The pictures don't do it justice but this was a fun day!

Miles traveled 250.

[/IMG]

[IMG]http[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

Update

3/26/14

Our goal for today was to chew up as much highway as possible. I am starting to look for rubber cause I can tell that my rear tire will need to be replaced soon. For breakfast the restaurant next door had rice and been tortillas and shredded beef. We grabbed a bunch and just chowed down. Pretty good and only about $1 a tortilla. I went and exchanged some money for pesos while KLR finished up with packing. We busted out of Guerrero Negro , Black Warrior, at about 0900 in the morning and just pounded pavement until lunch.
We made Santa Rosalia for lunch where we found a restaurant selling “pollo” we pulled of decided it was a good place for some American gringo's. We took in our motorcycle gear and pulled up chairs. We were the only people in the place and the broken spanish that KLR speaks was barley enough to understand that we were going to get a half chicken each. We sat down had a coke and waited for our bird to be fried... I decided that next time we should attempt to see if they will just take a cat of the side of the road I we try hard enough... never know in Mexico...
The chicken came with fries and we took a full hour enjoying a meal after a solid 3 hours on the bikes. We got some oil for KLR, (small oil gasket leak) and checked for llanta's (tire) for myself. After getting what we needed we headed around town to check out the city and found a group of American’s from Washington, well that is their place of last residence, heading south for at least 9 months. They call themselves 3 up collective and I will try and get a link. Great looking guys! Safe travels as you go!
Back on the road we headed to Constitution looking for a place to eat and sleep. Another 120 miles down and we made Constitution in time to see sun down from our hotel. We had burgers on the corner and found the “mushrooms” is Chamepones. The hotel we are crashing at is $10 a night and the “hot” water is more just warmer than the other tap but hey... we have bed like things to sleep on!
Our goal is to get tickets on the ferry online tonight and skip the process of getting them in La Paz tomorrow but the ferry leaves at approx 1600 so we will have to be up and moving early no matter what. Still looking for a tire but there are a few shops that look promising in the morning when they open.

Miles traveled: 375

UPDATE: So after this got posted I found KLR in the hotel entrance writing his own blog with some beer. He then informed me that his GPS tracker might be to good and need to be turned off a little sooner as he had just gotten a call from his firehouse buddies that used the tracker to find out hotel on Google maps and then call the hotel just to check in and see how we were doing. The power of Google is amazing and it is quite a unique experience to receive a phone call in a hotel that no one knows you are there, speaking a language you are not totally fluent in. KLR seemed to hand it well and we are still using the GPS tracker.

3/27/14

We decided that getting into La Paz as early as possible would help to alleviate any possible problems with finding the ferry tickets and getting to the ferry on time. We were up and out for the ferry around 0830. for breakfast we found the only open restaurant and had lovely beef stew and coke for M80 each. We heaed on the road and made great time to La Paz.
Along M-1 we stopped and talked with a Mexican biked on the way. He apparently drives the Baja frequently as he was just going back home to Tijuana and would need to be back in La Paz in a few days. The only other exciting event was we almost had our first drop while actually at speed. Following a side dirt road because the highway had construction, KLR attempted to pass a military vehicle. On doing so he went right into a soft patch of sand which exploded in a nice cloud of sand. KLR was able to hold up the bike after a few shaky seconds, he continued on.
Once in La Paz we found the Mexican equivalent of Starbucks and grabbed some wifi. The directions for tickets. We found our tickets, I successfully snapped the foot stand for my center stand and we met several other motorcycle travelers that had done the Pan Am before. One was a local would had gone on a KLR650 in 2012 and the other were a group of Americans that had done it twice, once on KLR's once on V-Stroms. We also bumped into a couple that are traveling from the Pacific North West down as far as their 60' boat would go, possibly the Canal possible TDF if the weather breaks right for them.
While getting our tickets for Mazatlan KLR fell in love for the first time on our trip. The young woman behind the counter was certainly a looker. She spoke very nice English and was dressed to the hilt. Her fingernail polish is I think what got to him off, or perhaps her amazing PERSONALITY...
We had time to stop for lunch at a tourist shop on the beach. KLR decided that it was to much work to take off his pants, or at least his new Mexican girl couldn't get time off for lunch, and he waded out into the ocean and got some pictures of the beach. It is certainly a different experience in water that you can enjoy spending time in versus the water back home in the PNW. Only a couple of degrees different from Seattle.
We made it onto the ferry and strapped the bikes down. They were out of cabins so we will have to camp out in the passenger lounge, Hopefully dinner and breakfast are eatable. This should be about a 12 hour trip.

Miles traveled: 140 by bike.
A lot by ferry...

Aboard the boat.

We have met several interesting groups of people so far. A husband from Maine with a wife from Mexico where the first with enough English to hold a conversation with. Next I met a couple of surfers heading down the pacific in a camper taking till October to reach Panama with the goal of ending in Peru. We also have met a construction worker from the area that has spent 10 years in the states. So far the only real issue we have encountered is the lack of batteries to replace in KLRs GPS transmitter. Right now we are hoping that those that are following our progress online via the GPS don’t get to concerned and call in a Navy SEAL team. For dinner we ended up eating with the surfing guys and a girl that is traveling as far south as possible after graduating from SDSU with a BS in Zoology.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Leminkainen OP
Adventurer

photos

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Subscribe

Wow really wow! Sounds like shenanigans in the making...

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote