User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #31
jahwerx OP
n00b is fine for now

Oddometer: 44
All done

This ride report is officially COMPLETE. ALL DAYS 1-11. If this is your first stumble-upon, go right to the very first video in the first post - for a quick highlight reel. also can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbERi9iU15U

-j

p.s. I may still do the full packing list, weights, etc., but I'll do that in a different thread.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #32
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Josh, the format you used for this RR is my favorite to date. Thanks for taking the time!

I'd love to see a link here to the KLR mods and packing list if you get a chance.

I just sold my GSA that took me on trips up the PCH and to Alaska in hopes of finding something lighter (and cheaper to drop!). You and Pat have sold me on the KLR!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #33
jahwerx OP
n00b is fine for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Josh, the format you used for this RR is my favorite to date. Thanks for taking the time!

I'd love to see a link here to the KLR mods and packing list if you get a chance.

I just sold my GSA that took me on trips up the PCH and to Alaska in hopes of finding something lighter (and cheaper to drop!). You and Pat have sold me on the KLR!
There are many fine bikes out there, and for the loads we were carrying, and distances we were travelling, we needed "full size", big tank, and one capable of 75-off/25-on road. The fact that KLR's are inexpensive on the secondary market, easy to find, and very reliable, it was an easy choice for us. KTM, BMW, etc. would al have been excellent as well I'm sure, but just a lot more $!

I'll finish up the mod & pack list soon.

Cheers!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
jahwerx OP
n00b is fine for now

OK, here it is:
HERE IS A MASTER LIST of all the bike mods I did to my bike and our packing list:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ng%20List.xlsx

I still have some ambition to put all the stuff on scales to figure out what our laden weight was...

I custom fabbed the side luggage plates, so those are not reflected in the spreadsheet. I used 3/16" plate Aluminum and mounted them to the SW Motech luggage racks.

- Josh

Quote:

Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #35
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,710
very nice rr.

thanks for taking us along.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #36
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Josh, that list ROCKS! Thank you.
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,147
As others have mentioned, I appreciate your RR format, including difficulty ratings.

This RR, along with Cannonshot's RR, are useful as I plan my CO trip.

Thanks,

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #38
jahwerx OP
n00b is fine for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
very nice rr.

thanks for taking us along.
Quote:
Josh, that list ROCKS! Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
As others have mentioned, I appreciate your RR format, including difficulty ratings.

This RR, along with Cannonshot's RR, are useful as I plan my CO trip.

Thanks,

NFE
You are all very welcome. Documenting the trip allowed me to relive it again. Now I go into my garage and look at the KLR, and think "Geez, nowhere to do THAT kind of damage to my skidplate around here!"

Cheers,
Josh

p.s. I found out from a hunter friend today that the animal Pat almost hit was indeed a Bighorn Sheep - a young ram. It probably was gunning for us since I went with the Ford F350 over the Ram 3500
Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #39
Pmturner1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Greatest Ride Ever

So I will chime in to Josh's great ride report. I was Josh's riding partner for the two week trip, wearing the black suit and orange helmet.

We had the best time ever. My favorite was clearly the Alpine loop. I will probably never have a ride that awesome again. Kudos to Josh for the research on the routes. The weather, vistas and conditions were perfect. It was a bit harrowing learning how to ride off-road in the Colorado Rockies, but hey where else will you learn so fast. The lack of real mechanical issues is amazing, given how intense some of the riding was. Our skid plates paid for themselves many times over. Fisher Mesa kicked my butt hard. If we had not already ridden 140 miles it may have been different, but with the altitude and evening sun I dropped badly.

The GPX tracks were really good. I imported them on my iPhone into EasyTrails GPS before the trip, but we could not have done the trip with the iPhone alone. The Garmin was essential for accurate navigation.

The camping was terrific, although I would love to not carry the camping gear. We should have hired Sherpas.

Later
Pat
Pmturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #40
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 360
Josh - again, great write up. So what's next?

Could you tell me more about the road out to the Los Pinos camp where you were on night two? I recall crossing the bridge and then we stopped. We saw the road and it looked fairly nasty with loads of large rocks strewn about. How was this road? Did it keep going upstream or did it dead end at your camp? Is there an actual camp ground or just primitive spots along the way.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #41
jahwerx OP
n00b is fine for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Josh - again, great write up. So what's next?

Could you tell me more about the road out to the Los Pinos camp where you were on night two? I recall crossing the bridge and then we stopped. We saw the road and it looked fairly nasty with loads of large rocks strewn about. How was this road? Did it keep going upstream or did it dead end at your camp? Is there an actual camp ground or just primitive spots along the way.
If you watch the first video of Day 3 that shows the entire road from where we camped on night 2 all the way to the bridge you mention. There are picnic tables and toilets along the road as you'll see, but no formal "campground" The spot we picked out on the bend seemed perfect. It had some nice fire rings already made and plenty of dry wood scattered about for a fire, and a toilet 100' away. Hardly any work at all. The only downside were all the traces of cows in the area. We brought enough water in that we didn't need to purify the river water to drink. We used it to wash our dishes and suffered no illness. In early June, no bugs to speak of either.