Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #46
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Day 11
Nordkapp

First things first, and that was to retrieve my windscreen out of the van which stood in the garage. At the garage the mechanic confirmed us the alternator was broken. Question was, do you want a genuine part (would take a long time) or an aftermarket which could be delivered and installed on Monday? easy questions demand easy answers. I could finally install my new windscreen, so no more pesty bugs between my teeth... as long as I don't bust it again We drove off in direction of the north cape, rented a hytte halfway, dropped our excessive luggage and visited the cape. Arrived there I was a bit stumped by the amount they charge to park there, but you can visit the exhibition in the cellars and it's valid 24h. The exhibition tells the discovery of the cape and WW2's local sea battles leading to many lost souls at sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Cape,_Norway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_North_Cape

Look at that clean windscreen!

Later on at the hytte, we decided we would ride on towards Tromsø the next morning. It would take us 2 days and we could collect our brake pads in Tromsø that Monday. Pia's van would be fixed Monday morning, so she would meet us there.

Doing laundry:

A gs makes a great field kitchen

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Stijn_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #47
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #48
whereisgibson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Try the postal road South from Alta if you like a break from the tarmac. Link in my sig.
whereisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

day 12
Rockcarvings 'n Canyons

Around 9 we packed up, and left towards Alta. Pia would head back towards the city and stay there till here van was fixed (monday noon). We left Honningsvåg en headed into the deep, dark and ice cold tunnel leading towards the mainland. We enjoyed the nice landscape wile riding towards Alta. Here we visited the World Heritage Rock Art Centre - Alta museum. Where you can see several carvings dating from 5000 bc till around the year 200 if i'm correct. Visiting the museum is definitely worth the effort, if you're in the area.
Alta-Museum

the view from the bay at the museum

the carvings:

and a small but nicely reconstructed canoe

After our visit -we took our time in the museum- we decided to search for a nice camping spot. I read in a book that near Alta there should be one of the biggest gorges in Europe, so we decided to go look for it and maybe place camp around there. While looking for it we hit a dead end somewhere south of Alta. Luckily there was a local oldtimer motorcycle meeting at the dead end, so we stopped and asked the lads for help. Going towards the canyon by motor cycle wouldn't be allowed. All trails seem to be forbidden for motor traffic. They showed us a nice alternative further east of the canyon. We talked on a bit discussing there nice oldtimers , our trip and hints on some wonderful routes and must see's on our way south.

The route east was wonderful we crossed the Alta river valley and headed on into the forest doing some nice gravel/ rocky roads as a shortcut. Else we needed to drive all the way back to Alta. Some where on a hill side we came up to a small trail, a local man told us the road we were trying to take wasn't accessible further on. Being it a snowmobile trail and having all the luggage strapped at the back that was a no-go-show. So he directed us a km back to take the other road towards the village we wanted to go. The road there offered many waterfall's and pretty views, we arrived at a lake south east of Alta and knew this would make a great camp spot. We set up camp enjoyed our spaghetti and some beers and hit the sack. The next day we would depart to Tromsø.

seen better times...

Anyone asked for a mosquito?

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #50
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereisgibson View Post
Try the postal road South from Alta if you like a break from the tarmac. Link in my sig.
that would have been a great id, but that didn't realy fit our planning. We needed tot retrieve some brake pads in Tromsø. I believe where the oldtimer meeting was, the postal road also started.
...reading your RR, if I go up again it will definitely be on my route

And thank you all for the positive replies! I'll try to spend more time on writing the RR, cause it's taking me way to long... Sorry lads.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 11:02 AM
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #51
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 13
Heading to Tromsø
344Km done

Another sunny start and that on a Sunday! Packing up a dry tent is way more fun than a soaked one... We drove on enjoying the nice coastal road, until we encountered the first road works. Not that big a problem, unless you're stuck behind a caravan of circus trucks. On a road full of curves and road works it can be a pain in the ass to pass +20 trucks, especially if you need to do it 3 times. we had to do a fuel stop and had to eat on some occasion. Luckily most of the truckers kept some space from each other so we could squeeze in between and overtake them one by one, right up to the point where we could take a ferry towards Tromsø.

shot from the first ferry

Waiting for the second one

Arrived at Tromsø we came to an hotel, where checking in was, uhm well special. I tried opening the door?? "locked?? Didn't I just saw people running around in there.... mhh and no doorbell? hey! a telefone!" Turned out the hotel desk was only manned in the morning, the woman told us we could have a room upstairs, retrieve the key from some locker and we would settle the rest the next day. Looking at the vending machines in the hallway we found it a bit odd, but the room was a fair price. Especially for us being in the middle of town. And all we wanted was a shower to wash of all the mosquito ointment, enjoy the delights of the local cuisine and of course, hit a bar. first off we went to a local restaurant Skarven and enjoyed some local dishes. The night was still young when we finished supper so we hit the local bars, and lucky us... We found out it was possible to pay with card in the bars...

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #52
Torque!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Goe bezig kerels, ben benieuwd naar de rest

Grtz, Philip! (aka Moto Adventure Store)
Torque! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #53
Gas Gas
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey All,

Vorig jaar ook naar de Noordkaap geweest. Na 4 jaar in het zuiden van Noorwegen te rijden, ben ik via Zweden en Finland naar de Noordkaap gereden.
Terug via de Lofoten en westkust. Inderdaad, voor het goede weer moet je er niet zijn, maar wat een prachtlanden zijn dit.

Super report :-)

Wim
Gas Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #54
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 14
Tromsø

First off, we retrieved our brake pads at the yamaha dealer, genuine brembo. These turned out to be somewhat expensive, but we needed them. Plans were forged to spend the day in town and visit some museums. We booked an extra night at our hotel. Pia send us a message that here van was fixed and she would arrive in evening at Tromsø. We wanted to go see the 'ice' church but came to the conclusion you need to pay... I really don't understand this... paying admittance for a house of religion? This seemed to be the trend for all the churches we wanted to visit in Norway. The church itself is a modern, abstract looking building wich draws a lot of tourists. We drove on to the Polaria aquarium, the aquaria itself are nice, although we expected a bit more. If you're there with the kids they'll probably love it.

Tromsø university museum is also worthwhile a visit, this is an allround museum showing some pieces from Alta around the rock carvings, a skeleton of a bottlenose whale etc.

Afterwards we went towards the Polar museum, this museum is definitely worth a visit. It shows you a unique view on the history of the north pole, its wildlife and the trappers whom hunted it.

So we had our dose of culture for the week, the next morning we could ride to Senja and the Lofoten. Later that evening Pia arrived with her repaired van and we went out for a last drink in Tromsø.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 11-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #55
ADV67
Alsace rider

Oddometer: 94
Super report met gave foto's en een prachtige rit mannen!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #56
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 15
Senja

316km

The buzzer went at 7.30, after a fresh shower and packing up we opened the curtains and saw some man in uniform was walking around our bikes, whoopy that's always fun... Turned out we needed to pay parking fee and we were getting fined. I explained the man that I saw a plate with a P on it so usually that means parking... It had a plate with Norse writing beneath it, but that could well be jiberisch for me. The small plate meant we needed to get a parking ticket somewhere. After some haggling and discussing where the vending machine was and where to put the ticket and us not understanding Norwegian he let us of the hook. Lucky us parking fines are pretty hefty, the man told us. We left Tromsø behind and past the airport to go towards the ferry which would bring us to Senja. Arrived there we could just see the ferry leaving 5 minutes late maybe, we'll the next one no prob... well turned out there were only 3 ferry runs, and the next one would take 5 hours. At least Simon and Pieter now had time to change their brake pads

looks a bit worn...

the new ones!

The pads were changed quickly meaning we still had time to spare. Across the fjord we noticed a bridge leading to a small island with a town on it. Simon and I went to check it out. In town we managed to buy some groceries etc.

On the ferry, the closer we got to Senja the more the clouds started packing together. The island is very beautiful, it could have been better with some sunshine and a few degrees hotter but still these low clouds also had its charm, it gave the surrounding cliffs and valleys a somewhat mysterious touch.

our photographer shot: not literally of course...

In Gryllefjord we needed to take the ferry towards the Lofoten, yet again we arrived 15m late and had to wait for the next day. We started looking for a camp spot but due the weather most open spots were either very swampy or build on. We drove back a few km's and found a nice spot near a small bay.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 01:34 AM
Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #57
peterdejongh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
very nice report, guys ! it's great to see you young men are in for the adventure. nice pictures also.
thanks for sharing.
And,... we zijn begot buren, want ik woon in Geel. :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591808

"Little by little, one travels far"
JRR Tolkien
peterdejongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #58
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 532
nice report :) liking the gourmet camping!
funny how I was thinking 'gravel with hard panniers, I hope that works out' and only minutes into the report 2 people tip over and hurt their feet... reminds me to get soft bags for my next trip
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #59
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Great ride report!
What about prices of gasoline? Did you slep all way in tents or you have use some B&B?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #60
KalleMan
New biker

Oddometer: 5
Laugh

One of my dreams to go there, not sure if with my bike though.. Maybe when I get a new one

Thanks for the pcis!