Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #16
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Arroyo
is yours the "S" or "E" model?

some supposed experts are telling me go for the E model, then put the lights on it.
Zapp, I'm far from being an expert. While I have a KTM 950, the DRZ is the first real light dirt bike I've ever owned...with the possible exception of a HD Aeromacchi Sprint 250 SS back in the '60s. Mine is a DRZ-S model, and all I can say is that I was too lazy to go through the labor and expense of converting an E model. The S model really works just fine. I see lots of 'em roaming around Colorado when I'm up there and about all they do is trim the rear light & fender extension, add knobbies and change the sprockets to gear them just a bit lower for climbing at altitude. The S model matches my skill level better right now, I don't notice the 9 h.p. difference, and it really does work quite well with the stock suspension, at least as long as you are not trying to grab big air.

Good luck with our decision
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #17
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,643
OK, this thread finally gathered the momentum I was hoping for

Your insights are very very helpful.

hey, 4Rider, when you speak of Precision concepts, did you completely R&R the front tubes and the rear spring/shock? or what? rough cost?

snoid, I think you may be confusing the L vs R as someone iterated. Show me your list of "much lighter" and "more HP" than the 295lb 50+hp 650R ? I been looking for them!

I think i finally get the point about the WRxxxF's. I do wonder if any sort of customizing could be done to the seat to alleviate some of the fatigue that straight 'bench' feel injects, but perhaps the frame is just too close there at the top
z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #18
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,162
first off...

the xr650r in stock trim might get 38 or if by some miracle 40 horsepower. you hear lots of outrageous claims of the horsepower gains of the tamer mods(which realistically might yield 5hp) but the only dyno stuff i'd trust are actual charts from pro-tuners. the truth is probably somewhat closer to this...

39hp with hrc mods.

and an overbored xr(685cc) with a perfectly-tuned 40mm fcr tops out at 58hp. that's not to say it can't go higher but we're talking about some serious cashola to get it in the 60hp range.

so... nearly all the 400 and 450 four stroke thumpers put out the same hp numbers(some put out more, lots more) at a substantial savings in weight. xr650r is a rock-solid bike, no doubts there, but no more reliable than the drz. oh sure, the xr is a 6-speed and that counts for everything in the wide-open desert.

you a desert racer?

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
The DRZ400E gets higher compression than the 'S' model, a slightly wilder cam, a better carb, and it comes with the 14/47 gearing you'll need to ride the 'S' on technical single track trails, anyhow.

My riding buddy found a leftover KLX400R (Green DRZ) and bought the thing for below cost. That's the way to go if you can pull it off!

The WR is fine if you don't mind having to baby the thing with racebike-maintenance (did that and got the T-shirt with my CR250 and YZ125). I'd rather ride than wrench.

Buy the 'E' model DRZ400, or the 'R' model KLX400 if you can find one, dualsport it yourself, and be happy!

It's a great bike.

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 08-02-2005 at 08:22 PM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
Suspension mods

Both of the DRZs I took in ended up with total rebuilds. The riders are about 185# and 195# plus riding gear. From memory, the work included new IBach fork springs, seals, complete dampening rebuild (revalve), seal-savers etc. The rears got new IBach springs with work to the dampening system as well. I don't have the receipts so I may have missed something. The total cost out the door was about $595 each. I took in 5 bikes at once and made a lump-sum payment, and negotiated a quantity discount.

I rode one of the bikes before and after. It was totally stock before the rebuild. The difference was tremendous. One of the guys was looking for a desert bike before the work as he felt the DRZ was too unstable at speed and in long whoop sections. Now he ordered a desert tank for the DRZ and stopped looking for another bike.

I forgot if I mentioned it before, but both of the above bikes are street models (S?), not converted enduros.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:13 AM   #21
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

thank you 4Rider.
I'm copying your note to a file so I can give to my mechanic, should I find an el'cheapo 'S' model. A good suspension can overcome the somewhat bloated weight of the "S" [too heavy for a 400 IMHO]

also look for email or PM as I have another question

z
Old 08-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #22
snoid
100% Okie

be aware...

that the 's' (despite the carb, cam and base gasket)is essentially an 'e' with heavy stuff added that can be taken off. take into consideration that you'll probably want a larger capacity tank than the 'e' offers, that the 'e' needs suspension work too and they become a little more equal if yer gonna be modding like like crazy anyway.

also, you might prefer the plush stock ride, some do, so try it first...

me

p.s. the 's' does have an extended subframe but that accounts for but a couple of extra pounds. many 'e' guys covet the 's' subframe for its ability to carry more stuff.

p.p.s. 4rider got an incredible deal on his suspension work that comes with a bulk order. i was quoted two and three times that price at pro tuners.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #23
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

ok, i'm slowly getting convinced to look for a DRZ400 'S' and then if I want more whooop, add the carb, fool with exhaust, etc suspension.....

it weighs more than my XR650R, but not by a lot, and has less oomph, but looks like the streetable stuff is pretty solid.

anyone know if its electrically capable of supporting a super brite headlamp bulb?

z
p.s. and I still don't see the "lotta" 400-class bikes that weigh a lot less than the XR.... they're all grouped up between 250 and 280, and they all got issues.... i have a very fat wad of stuff i've collected on them.
now, the WR250F is a big diff.....
Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #24
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
the xr650r in stock trim might get 38 or if by some miracle 40 horsepower. you hear lots of outrageous claims of the horsepower gains of the tamer mods(which realistically might yield 5hp) but the only dyno stuff i'd trust are actual charts from pro-tuners. the truth is probably somewhat closer to this...

39hp with hrc mods.

and an overbored xr(685cc) with a perfectly-tuned 40mm fcr tops out at 58hp. that's not to say it can't go higher but we're talking about some serious cashola to get it in the 60hp range.

so... nearly all the 400 and 450 four stroke thumpers put out the same hp numbers(some put out more, lots more) at a substantial savings in weight. xr650r is a rock-solid bike, no doubts there, but no more reliable than the drz. oh sure, the xr is a 6-speed and that counts for everything in the wide-open desert.

you a desert racer?

me
I like THIS chart better.

I have been ripped off. My XR only has 5 gears.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #25
snoid
100% Okie

sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power
I like THIS chart better.

I have been ripped off. My XR only has 5 gears.
sorry, my bad and another reason not to buy it.

i'd trust borynac's dyno graph more than akrapovic's. he's not trying to sell anything. he's a regular at thumpertalk's brp forum and one of the few i'd trust for specific, realistic info.

a fair comparison is drz400k to xr650r,

me
Old 08-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #26
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
Reply enroute

ZAP22:

PM coming back to you
Old 08-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #27
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
sorry, my bad and another reason not to buy it.

i'd trust borynac's dyno graph more than akrapovic's. he's not trying to sell anything. he's a regular at thumpertalk's brp forum and one of the few i'd trust for specific, realistic info.

a fair comparison is drz400k to xr650r,

me
Ok then.

WR's put out some power.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #28
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
I'd rather have the 400S over the E model, the lower compressionlets me use questionable gas if that is all that is available in a small gas station, the cooling fan is a nice touch for slow going and the constant velocity carb while making a hair less power responds ALOT better to altitude changes, especially here where we can go from 4k up to 14k in the same day. For me, if I get a DRZ, it will be the S model and add the kickstart to it.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #29
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

it ain't a hair less, its 20% if I'm reading right

Hey, best I can tell the Sado Masochistic model of DRZ400 is the same essentially as the "S" [sado - light?] . obviously wheels are diff and that nice gold color on the fork tubes ... i would imagine maybe the tubes are streetized?
but the powerplant seems to be identical to S
If anyone knows otherwise..... chime in

now that the 06's are rolling out, maybe someone will cough up a 2005 model el cheapo

the Z's must sell real slowly in some parts of the map: i see occasionally a new/oldstock 03 sold pretty cheap with zero miles. i'm holding out for one that has a bunch of options on it and a motivated buyer
z

p.s. all XR650R wannabees need to read post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3&page=2&pp=15

Zapp22 screwed with this post 08-04-2005 at 07:47 AM Reason: ADD PS
Old 08-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #30
chrisjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
SM has same engine as the DRZ 400 S. Swing arm is same as RM and forks are inverted.

DRZ S is great bike if you want to ride, wrench little, and aren't interested in extreme dirt performance.

People crab all the time about which bike is the best...... The upshot is that there is one bike that will excel where another won't as it was designed for something else. Point is be honest with yourself about what you want and need, and then go buy it, no matter what it is.

Example, plonking down the road with some gravel roads, get one of the 650's. If you want to do the same, spend twice as much and have lots of mechanical issues get a 640 KTM. :)

Sorry KTM folks, but a MD buddy of mine at here at the hospital always dogs me out for riding a Japanese bike, but his '03 640 cratered this weekend. It has something like 4K on it and it's been a nightmare since he bought it.
chrisjohn is offline   Reply With Quote