Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #46
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
What do you want from the bike? A 105 mph enduro? Get the XR650R, the DRZ won't go that fast. A trail bike for the woods? The XR650R will do it, but it is heavy. Bikes all feel different. It is more than comparing weight and HP stats. Get one that you personally like, one that feels good for you. If you make the wrong decision, then sell it and get another.
Yeah, this is the key point AFAIC. I bought the DRZ as a 90% trail bike. It is just street legal enough to get me to and from and between the trails.

By "trail bike," I just want to explore places that would be too much work on my KLR650. I'm not trying to do 3rd gear wheelies on singletrack. I want to be able to clean a gnarly section of rock boulders and ledges, take some pictures and have some laughs. So for me, a bike with a racey engine (EX/C or WR) is less fun than one with smooth power delivery, great suspension* and low maintenance (XR or DRZ).

*I'm sure the KTM and WR suspension is even better but, for exploring and trail riding, any difference wouldn't be noticeable.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #47
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
But why would you pick a 400E over an XR650R if the electric starter is removed from the equasion?
Because it's a better trailbike, IMHO. I enjoyed the pig on trails, but the DRZ is a friendlier and more usable mount for most trails. And after having the button with the 525... I no longer regard that as an insignificant issue.

To me, the biggest difference between the DR-Z and XR is not horsepower, nor weight. Both have somewhere between plenty and too much of each. It's a more general "character" which is hard to sum up. The DR-Z is a great trailbike and works well in a wide variety of situations. I would not choose to race one anywhere (not that it can't be done, obviously, but to me it doesn't FEEL like a racebike). I'm not picking on it, that's not necessarily a bad thing...

The XR will do everything the DR will, a little less well where it's tight, better where it's open. But it has a certain flair/ competence/ panache/ name your adjective on open stuff that makes it feel like a racebike. The front end sticks really well, the power makes it easy to drive hard off corners and it sucks straights down with a voracious appetite. I enjoy that, and that's why I owned one for so long and miss it even now.

The only "problem" with the DR-Z is that there is nothing it does, that something else doesn't do better. But, the things that do any given thing better, don't do everything else as well as it does... in my opinion, that makes it a great trailbike.

Don't you just love these threads? How many ways can we dissect the same words?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #48
Colorado
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
Alot of the differences to me would sway me toward the S, the E model has no cooling fan (correct me if I am wrong), the S will tolerate worse quailty of fuels one might find out in the middle of nowhere, and the CV carb on the S model is more tolerant of extreme altitude changes that we have up here, our rides could go anywhere from 4K to well over 10K.
If you look at the DRZ forum at Thumpertalk, you'll see that many S owners remove the fan. The fan assembly is 3# and the fan never comes on anyway.

High octane gas isn't required at high altitudes.

As far as riding at altitude extremes, CV carb do adapt better (so I hear). But 4k to 11k feet kinda goes hand-in-hand with street riding, which is only 10% of the E's mission. For the 90% trail riding I do, the FCR will work better. I can't think of anyone who would trade an FCR carb for a CV carb - if you wanted to, I guarantee there would be a lot of takers at Thumpertalk.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #49
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
...Are you still loving your DRZ?
Yes, I am. The suspension and handling are much better than the XR650L, no comparison really. The limiting factor is still the rider, but I'm learning to stop overanalyzing riding. If I just use the skills neduro taught, and trust the bike to stick, it will. If I death grip it all the time, I will get tired very quickly.

The downside is that I could do 400+ mile days on the XR650L without any discomfort, but 200 miles on the KLX400 is uncomfortable. It needs a better seat for touring.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #50
Colorado
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
The downside is that I could do 400+ mile days on the XR650L without any discomfort, but 200 miles on the KLX400 is uncomfortable. It needs a better seat for touring.
Seat? I thought it was butt floss.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #51
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
Seat? I thought it was butt floss.
Thinc2 describes it as a "concrete pyramid".
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #52
MihaiVeniamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Suzuki DR-Z 400 E is reliable ??? like a DR 650 SE ???

Hello, I am Mihai (Mike) from Romania and right now I own a Suzuki DR 650 SE T '96.I done some enduro in mud and it is okay, but I'm thinking to buy a DR-Z 400 E because is lighter and powerful than the big 650.

My question is: DR-Z 400 E is reliable ? because the 650 SE is fantastic.

A friend of mine has a Honda XR 650 R from 2004 and is a beast compared to Suzuki DR 650 SE wich is heavier and less powerful but we ride togheter and it was no problem.

I also experienced Honda CR 250 but is to race for me.

I realy like and love the looks and performance of DR-Z 400 E.
If I take it I can follow my friend with XR ? or I can follow up guys with WR 450 ??

In Romania the DR 650 SE is not available and the DR-Z 400 E is the cheapest....I think is the best choice......what do you think ?
MihaiVeniamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #53
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Durable, yes. Powerful? not without lot of mods.
Not the power of the WR450
Not the power of CRF450
not the off ROAD suspension of either ... or RMZ for that matter

But a good all-around hare-scrambler it is . Relatively low maintenance once everything is set correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihaiVeniamin
Hello, I am Mihai (Mike) from Romania and right now I own a Suzuki DR 650 SE T '96.I done some enduro in mud and it is okay, but I'm thinking to buy a DR-Z 400 E because is lighter and powerful than the big 650.

A friend of mine has a Honda XR 650 R from 2004 and is a beast compared to Suzuki DR 650 SE wich is heavier and less powerful but we ride togheter and it was no problem.

If I take it I can follow my friend with XR ? or I can follow up guys with WR 450 ??

In Romania the DR 650 SE is not available and the DR-Z 400 E is the cheapest....I think is the best choice......what do you think ?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #54
fnord
Hail Eris!

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22

I think i finally get the point about the WRxxxF's. I do wonder if any sort of customizing could be done to the seat to alleviate some of the fatigue that straight 'bench' feel injects, but perhaps the frame is just too close there at the top
z
Guts Racing seat does the trick. Mine is very comfortable. I'm not a racer but I think the WR is a great all around bike. Mine has been extremely dependable.
fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #55
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,384
good read! +1
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #56
Pimpdaub
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb Drz400e

I just picked up a drz400e that was converted to street using the baja designs kit & I must say it is a dream. I was lucky enough that the previous owner added the necessary mods to put the Drz over the top of the other bikes your comparing. Yoshimura trs titanium full exhaust, jet kit, manual cam chain tensioner. A few must haves if you can.
Pimpdaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #57
Pimpdaub
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Also...the "e"model is lighter & has 10 more hp then any factory street legal Drz
Pimpdaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #58
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
I have a 2001 DRZ400E. I love it. Had a CRF 450X and to me I like the 400E better. I just recently had the ACT wide Ratio gears put in, run 14/47 and it does very well in tight woods and the ACT gears make it sweet up to about 80 MPH. You can haul ass on the freeway, in the open, run it all day in 1st and 2nd single tracking, and then at super moto wheels on it and have a blast in the city. Also, they are cheap so you can spend the extra on tuning your suspension to you. which is by far the most important mod.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #59
hobes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihaiVeniamin View Post

I agree,

I ride my second DRZ now for 10 years and I rode it 8 years in competition in technical very difficult terrain.
I only changed the cam chain in these years (of cours oil and filters too).

My competition bike now is a Beta 400RR because it got 12 kg less weight but I still ride my DRZ because I think that the DRZ engine is one of the best enduro engines because it's very smooth (especially compared to the KTM RFS engine) and got enough power (at a race some years ago there was a straight of several hundred meters after a slow corner and I could follow KTM 525, WR 450 several times without loosing a meter).

I rode once a XR 650R for a very short time in the dunes of the Sahara and compared to the DRZ (I changed directly from the DRZ to the XR) I got the impression that it was a heavy bike with too much power (not too bad in the dunes) for technical terrain.

hobes is offline   Reply With Quote