ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #31
guiri
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,089
Yeah, I definitely wanna go but dammit if I want to ride all day with the rain gear. It's a pain in the ass and if it's a good chance of rain, I'm going to opt out.
I Have the rain stuff but I feel so damn bundled up that I'm not comfortable riding :(

When I was slim this was not an issue but with 5x pants, I've got so much damn fabric around the nuts that it gets uncomfortable.
__________________
Tired of dropping your helmet? Get the Helmet Hook by EXTUFF.BIZ Post in the sales thread that you're interested and then PM me for member discount...
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
StarWolve
Adventurer
 
StarWolve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: CLT, NC
Oddometer: 87
I'm in

I'm in for a ride - After all this rain I've been wanting to get out. Is there anything on this ride that will too difficult for to handle on a Buell Ulysses with street tires? I'm comfortable on unpaved roads, but she doesn't have the grip for serious mud with the stock rubber. I'm trying to wear out the set that's on there and then I'll be looking for some scorpion trails or something along those lines.
__________________
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #33
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
I'm in for a ride - After all this rain I've been wanting to get out. Is there anything on this ride that will too difficult for to handle on a Buell Ulysses with street tires? I'm comfortable on unpaved roads, but she doesn't have the grip for serious mud with the stock rubber. I'm trying to wear out the set that's on there and then I'll be looking for some scorpion trails or something along those lines.
Don't worry as it will be mostly a street ride. I have a Vstrom 1K and it does not like off road either.

We may run into a rain burst here and there but it will simply cool things off. I may bring my Frogg Toggs just in case.

Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
Yeah, I definitely wanna go but dammit if I want to ride all day with the rain gear. It's a pain in the ass and if it's a good chance of rain, I'm going to opt out.
I Have the rain stuff but I feel so damn bundled up that I'm not comfortable riding :(

When I was slim this was not an issue but with 5x pants, I've got so much damn fabric around the nuts that it gets uncomfortable.
George,

I think we may hit a rain burst or two but nothing major. I ran into couple of rain burst couple of weeks ago and it was refreshing. I didn't even bring any rain gear last time.

Come on.


Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
guiri
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,089
Ok, I'm definitely interested.

I can't look up the weather for that area since I have no idea
where it is. What does it say, how much chance of rain?
__________________
Tired of dropping your helmet? Get the Helmet Hook by EXTUFF.BIZ Post in the sales thread that you're interested and then PM me for member discount...
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Concord NC
Oddometer: 261
What kind of pace (casual, spirited, insane)? Not sure what's going on tomorrow yet but should know before morning.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #37
StarWolve
Adventurer
 
StarWolve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: CLT, NC
Oddometer: 87
Ok - I'll see you guys tomorrow then

I'll be there - probably going to wear the 2 piece mesh suit, but they're saying high of 85 tomorrow, and that might get a little warm. I guess I'll leave the bags on the Uly so I can bring rain gear and swap gear out as needed!

I really need to get some better gear for this area. I have an Icon Compound (Mesh/Leather mix) black 2 piece oversuit that I like, but it gets very warm. It was great for Central NY, but it's a little warm for CLT. And the Uly doesn't help - the rear cylinder gets very warm on that bike. I need to install a rider comfort kit and insulate the frame, which should help keep the heat down.

What's the plan for a lunch stop? I'm still learning the area so I'm always up for trying a new place, or can pack a lunch for the trail if that's the plan.
__________________
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #38
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
Ok, I'm definitely interested.

I can't look up the weather for that area since I have no idea
where it is. What does it say, how much chance of rain?
50% of spotted rain. We may miss it all or we may get some but no big deal.
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
What kind of pace (casual, spirited, insane)? Not sure what's going on tomorrow yet but should know before morning.
Casual but near spirited. Nothing wreckless as I ride within my limit and hopefully other riders within our group will do the same.
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
guiri
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,089
Screw it, I'm in.

Give me the hours where we meet and all that.

I'll bring a few hooks too if someone is interested.

Did you try yours?

Ok, rain clothes and then what, that's it, right?
__________________
Tired of dropping your helmet? Get the Helmet Hook by EXTUFF.BIZ Post in the sales thread that you're interested and then PM me for member discount...
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #41
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
I'll be there - probably going to wear the 2 piece mesh suit, but they're saying high of 85 tomorrow, and that might get a little warm. I guess I'll leave the bags on the Uly so I can bring rain gear and swap gear out as needed!

I really need to get some better gear for this area. I have an Icon Compound (Mesh/Leather mix) black 2 piece oversuit that I like, but it gets very warm. It was great for Central NY, but it's a little warm for CLT. And the Uly doesn't help - the rear cylinder gets very warm on that bike. I need to install a rider comfort kit and insulate the frame, which should help keep the heat down.

What's the plan for a lunch stop? I'm still learning the area so I'm always up for trying a new place, or can pack a lunch for the trail if that's the plan.
Definitely, will stop for lunch.

Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #42
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 734
Here's the plan but I am open.

Meet at Cycle Gear in Matthews at 9:15am. 9:30am KIckstands up.
Second Meet Up Point for riders living North of Charlotte. We will meet at the Kangaroo gas station off I-85S and 321N. Take I-85S from Charlotte. Get off 321N past Gastonia. Once you take 321 N exit, you will see a Kangaroo gas station immediately to the right. We can meet there at 10:00am to 10:15 am or so.

My cell number is seven seven zero 823- one588.

Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #43
guiri
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,089
I'm in providing it doesn't rain here when I get ready to leave, if it does I'll stay at home and if that's the case, enjoy the ride guys.
__________________
Tired of dropping your helmet? Get the Helmet Hook by EXTUFF.BIZ Post in the sales thread that you're interested and then PM me for member discount...
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #44
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 734
Weather Radar.

It may blow over by tomorrow am. The real heavy storm is to the west of us and headed North. This is what I look at before I go riding.






Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #45
guiri
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,089
Looks to me like light drizzle. Hell, I don't mind that. Actually, as long as I get caught in rain after I've started riding, ie, halfway through, I don't give a shit. As long as it's not raining when I leave, I'll be there.
__________________
Tired of dropping your helmet? Get the Helmet Hook by EXTUFF.BIZ Post in the sales thread that you're interested and then PM me for member discount...
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014