Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #151
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Not a stockholder or affiliated- just a happy customer who would have been pissed had they followed your suggestion...no BS.

Step away from the keyboard.

Try picking up the phone.
picking up a phone is too difficult for cranky old men. these are a nice update from the big old fashioned lead acid jump-starters, that is for sure.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #152
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
picking up a phone is too difficult for cranky old men. these are a nice update from the big old fashioned lead acid jump-starters, that is for sure.
I may be older (you might accuse me of being overly sensitive after getting hammered twice on this thread), but folks would tell you that I'm the opposite of cranky - just choose not to eat any BS. How is it that you conclude that I have not picked up the phone (actually several times with regard to a malfunction) ... YMMV; just stating my experience...but apparently I have hit a nerve. It is a great product; that is why I purchased. But only when you can get the power out of the battery pack!
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #153
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
I may be older (you might accuse me of being overly sensitive after getting hammered twice on this thread), but folks would tell you that I'm the opposite of cranky - just choose not to eat any BS. How is it that you conclude that I have not picked up the phone (actually several times with regard to a malfunction) ... YMMV; just stating my experience...but apparently I have hit a nerve. It is a great product; that is why I purchased. But only when you can get the power out of the battery pack!
Because you stated that you were waiting on a response from an email not a phone call.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #154
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Because you stated that you were waiting on a response from an email not a phone call.
Quote:
my inquiry hasn't been answered either - for weeks!
Where did I say email ... perhaps get vision checked
Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #155
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Things seem to be on track with my order now. Looking forward to trying the jumper out.
It seems the owner has some employees or automated equipment on a different wavelength. Mixed messages I've gotten. I do thank the owner for getting on here and answering questions.
I and others have indeed both phoned and emailed and gotten no response. Don't go thinking we are making up stories or slandering. Simply asking questions. We are all part of the same community. This forum is much like sitting and talking in a virtual garage.
Again, the latest communication has my order on its way. Lets hope it turns out well for all the other Inmates as Im sure it will.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #156
Scalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Things seem to be on track with my order now. Looking forward to trying the jumper out.
It seems the owner has some employees or automated equipment on a different wavelength. Mixed messages I've gotten. I do thank the owner for getting on here and answering questions.
I and others have indeed both phoned and emailed and gotten no response. Don't go thinking we are making up stories or slandering. Simply asking questions. We are all part of the same community. This forum is much like sitting and talking in a virtual garage.
Again, the latest communication has my order on its way. Lets hope it turns out well for all the other Inmates as Im sure it will.
Indeed, I got an email from the owner myself and things seem to be on track. As I said, unfortunate as it may be, it's one of those things.. I t simply does happen.

Let's hope we move forward quickly now. For those interested, I shall be starting my bike preaparation thread by the end of next week. Barcelona to Siberia and Japan via Iran and Central Asia; bike is a heavily modified Xchallenge with ad-hoc 690 rfr front tanks and fairing, combined rear rack/tank... etc.
And a nice, reliable and lightweight battery (in progress)
Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #157
LRH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Question won't charge thru "harness" cable

Searching for answers about the Micro Start Harness Kit with Battery Tender quick connect, obviously still a new thing (me too, here!) and found all this talk about it so what better place to ask!

I've emailed them as of yesterday, nothing yet so still waiting.

I have a Waterproof Battery Tender, 0.8A charger, so it plugs into the adapter for the blue M.S. connector.

First thing I had to do is widen one of the metal prongs, has a split so I could use that to pry it open a little and tighten the connection.

The real problem is how the positive cable uses that safety device spliced into it. Apparently it uses a diode to prevent voltage from reversing back into the Micro Start PPS (I have the XP-3).

Because of that, the Battery Tender doesn't see a valid connection so it just blinks its yellow light. As some of you probably know, a steady yellow is normal for charging, green light is fully charged and maintaining a charge.

What I don't understand then is why this ring-terminal cable "harness" is touted as being exactly the right thing for a trickle charger if the things can't sense the voltage, thereby allowing the charger to know how to apply voltage??

Something must be wrong. I really wanted to use that XP-3 and this accessory cable/quick connector with my Battery Tender to avoid using 2 pairs of cables.

And I can't understand how I haven't found the same trouble from other people with the same setup, implying somethings wrong here with mine. Oh yeah, and I replaced my lead-acid battery with new one and neither will charge thru the M.S. cables.

I sure hope somebody can help verify a working setup, or non-working, so I know either way.

Thanks!
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #158
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry for your difficulties; you are not alone - frustrated, mine was >$100 trash. Initially worked great, but ...
However, many folks have had great luck with this unit and I have followed it since the announcement / introduction.
If you didn't buy direct; suggest return to point of sale as you may have technical difficulties.

mefly2 screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 01:02 PM
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #159
LRH
Adventurer

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Sorry for your difficulties; you are not alone
Thanks!
Well, the Micro Start XP-3 I have is perfectly okay, for now, but that cable "harness kit" is pure junk for me.

I got a message from someone else with similar trouble, so posting part of what they had to say and what I wrote in reply here:

"no power to the heated gear as well as no power to the battery from the tender. So no power either direction."

I'm not an electrician but I know enough to be able to check the cables with my multimeter. That's how I found out it was only letting voltage go one way, from MS connector to battery + side. While - side is okay, since no safety device inline there.
First thing I had checked is continuity and Ohms, those tests showed the positive cable was interrupting the electric flow in one direction. Then I simply checked the DC voltage and saw a 1 volt drop going to the battery, and zero volts coming from it, by touching the contacts of the adapter and MS connector.

Anyway, it doesn't look like any easy fix without completely removing that safety device from the cable. I suspect it might be there to reduce output power to a certain limit for the Micro Start to do its jump starting right. If so, somebody messed up regarding adaptability to other devices, namely automatic trickle chargers.

A whole different thing is the cable length itself, could really use another inch or two for routing it out of the motorcycle battery box. But again, that safety device also causes some trouble for me because it's right at the bend I need in the wire for the cover to go on better.

One good thing is knowing I'm not the only one with the cable problem!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #160
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 622
can you recharge it while riding? Connected to an sae plug in a tank at, for example?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #161
LRH
Adventurer

Can be charged with 12VDC power source.

Must be done via the mini-plug, not the large connector that uses red and black cables; that's what the provided "mobile" accessory (or cigarette lighter) plug is for.

Otherwise I think you would need a customized SAE connector wire with mini-plug sized for the Micro Start, and inline fuse.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #162
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I'm no expert on this thing yet, but I think i read that you can't charge via the main jump-start power port on the battery unit. It has a dedicated charging port.

The unit I received came with two charging adapters, a 120v and a 12v.

If you have a converter to switch the SAE plug to a 12v cigarette lighter style plug, then you can probably use it to recharge the battery as long as you have it fused and it doesnt overdraw.

Course, according to the previous poster, the SAE adapter pigtail that you can buy from Antigravity has a diode that prevents you from drawing power even with the SAE adapter. So, you'd need to use the standard Battery Tender type pigtail for charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
can you recharge it while riding? Connected to an sae plug in a tank at, for example?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #163
LRH
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
--->8---you'd need to use the standard Battery Tender type pigtail for charging.
Just so we all don't get confused here, charging of the Micro Start PPS itself cannot be done regardless of the type of connection via the "jump start" connector.
Only the mini-plug connector can be used for charging it.

And their reason for having the special clamp or ring-terminal cables is because they say the power output could melt trickle charger (Battery Tender) cables.
The AG MS cables are stamped with 10 AWG meaning it can only handle about 30+ Amps, but don't quote me on that.
They aren't very thick, really, and very flexible-- which can be a good thing. I'm not sure what gage wire the BT uses, maybe 16 AWG. I'm just not convinced of the AG cable effectiveness or intended purpose until I hear from people saying they can trickle charge using voltage-sensing chargers.

Anyway, yes, their "mobile" DC charger is going to be the way to charge from the bike. Just need a way to plug that in.
For a while I had a Battery Tender cigarette lighter adapter plug to power or charge things but I had problems with the things staying connected (duct tape helped).
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #164
OZZZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Mr Anti-Gravity, Anyone.. Charging these from 12V solar, any experience, any suggestions? Do they have a capacitor inbuilt, will they struggle from a small panel with intermittent light, would the panel need a regulator of some sort?

Thanks.
OZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #165
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Can the XP3 be recharged off the bike? Let's say I want to use the XP3 at night time to recharge my camera and Bluetooth headset. During the day, can I plug it into my bikes 12V system to top it off? Assume the charging system of the bike has a high enough output.

If so, this would be particularly useful on multi-week rides, providing a charging source for accessories at night, and jump start power during the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Comes with AC and 12V charger so yes, you can recharge off vehicle socket.

I am guessing it would be slower than AC
Question/comment here from an electrical dolt..

I actually called AG today and spoke with someone about the XP-3. My main concerns were;

1) Charging tip for IPhone5.
2) Re-charging the XP-3 off my EarthX battery/bike 12V system.
3) Inquiry on the SAE harness hooked right to the battery to make it easy to jump without using clamps/removing seat...etc.

I'd still like to hear comments from those with the units - or the OP if you happen on the thread. I want to order ASAP, so would like further clarification.

I got a good answer on 1. New units being shipped with IP5 tip - they said some units (older) being shipped are sent without and that if I didn't receive it with my unit, they would send one along.

Still confused on #2. It looks like the XP-3 ships with two charging chords - one home unit (assuming 110V std electrical plug) and a cigarette lighter version. On my moto - I only have and accessory plug (socket) which is a Powerlet. Has someone made or found a source for such a cable - Powerlet to charging port on PPS? I realize you don't "charge" the PPS using the SAE plug to battery "jump" circuit, but I would like to keep the PPS charging in my tank bag when necessary.

#3 seems pretty straight forward. My only question for those that have it - is it long enough to have it accessible? Does it have a weather proof cover?

Also, one thing I forgot to ask - earlier in hte thread the OP eluded to a carrying case for the XP-3 (smaller than XP-1) - has that been developed?

Thanks all....
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

mtncrawler screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 09:16 PM
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote