User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,705
Norway- International BSA Rally Aug 2013

I have accepted an invitation to fly to Hamburg, Germany, to hang out with a guy I know mostly from a Motorcycle forum (BritBike.com). Tho we've chatted online over one another's various posts & threads, we haven't actually MET in person- or if we did meet, it was fleeting- at another 500 person BSA rally a few years ago on the Isle Of Man (45th BSA Internatrional, 2008).

The idea being that we will load his BSA and his Yamaha XT500 onto his truck, drive up to Sweden, where we will visit a mutual buddy, then go to camp at a major European Hot Rod rally http://www.a-bombers.com/?PageID=1 .

From there, we will continue on to Norway to attend the week-long 50th BSA International Rally near Valldal, http://www.bsaoc-ir2013.no/ where we will camp & ride.

SURE looking forward to this trip. I'm more or less along for the ride, so not sure how much control I'll have over the itinerary. BUT it's gonna be a GAS.
OH, and yeah, we're taking the truck- so not even sure if this is truly worthy of a post here on ADVrider... it's a mix of bikes & hot rods, good friends, new friends, some sweet summer travel, and no doubt, LOTS of ales.

Beat me up if ya want to (I can take it), but so what! I'm going to NORWAY. Any suggestions for Sweden & Norway would be appreciated.

I'd love to know more about Coastal Norway's weather patterns (cold & rain?), Day/night cycles of Summer (Land of The Midnight Sun?), terrain (mountains, big hills, rivers, fjords in, around & near Valldal).... and anything else anyone might think of to tell me.

Yes, I have peered at topo maps, and Google Earth, so I know basically that I'll be camping some KMs inland, near a river that runs down to a major Fjord (Storfjord), on, or near what appears to be a big hill or mountain. Camp is located off the road 63, between Valldal & Mykelbustbrua.

Anyone who knows the area, or has any info, please do not hesitate to add your comments.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Lurg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I didn't now about this BSA rally!
and i live just a 5 hour drive away, I gotta check it out

As for the august weather, it's gonna be nice and warm
and let's hope for no rain.

You won't see any midnight sun here tho, you gotta go way further up north in Norway to get that! But Valldal is located on the coast, so you are gonna experience nice views of fjords and mountains

As for sunrise and sunset, I think the sun goes down at about 11:30 at night, and is back up at around 3 or 4 in the morning.
So it's not gone that long, but you won't get the full midnight sun experience you get further north

Never been to Valldal myself, but have spent some time on the coastal area further north, around Kristiansund.

But look forward to Norway, it's great place to ride as long as the sun is out.
Pack a rain coat tho, and expect to spend abit of money as everything here runs quite expensive. Even compared to Sweden
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Yes come by and check us out. Remember I'll be on my friend's Yamaha XT500, and his "Dark Star" BSA is a mix of years, and is all black- so pretty distinctive.
Because the A-bombers Rally is 2-3 August, we may not be there at the Rally on the opening weekend, but will be there for the week. I think the Rally is 2-10 Aug?

Not certain how many will attend Norway's International- not only due to the expense, but also because many are saving for 2014, when the International Rally is to be held in Northern California.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Heard from my German friend, we are registered as number 197. Folks are still signing up, and there will no doubt be folks coming in unannounced, or day tripping.

So, a small ish rally compared to some, but I'm sure it will be a sweet time.