User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 574
I am looking for somebody to ride the WRT with Moab

I will be in Moab Friday June 21 afternoon, all day Sat June 22, all day Sunday June 23, and most of Monday June 24.

It has always been a dream to ride the White Rim Trail but am too chicken to do it solo. And my wife is insisting on a Spot Device if I do it alone. Can I rent or buy one in Moab?

I have done some simple trails (Gemini Bridges, Potash to up Schafer Trail) but nothing all day like the WRT.

Any advice appreciated as I am maybe just above a beginner trail rider. I almost wet my underwear when doing the Potash to Schafers, but I know I could do it again. I would be riding a 90 KLR650 Tengai in very good condition.

Sorry for the short notice.

Thanks
Simba

simbaboy screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 09:09 PM
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
LostinCO
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wrt

Wish I could join you but tied up. You will have some fun for sure. Bring plenty of water - all you expect to drink because it will be hot! Freaking hot. Was in Delta, CO last week and it was hitting 100 F during the day so be prepared with your own shade and ride fast.

Hope you have fun, find a buddy or a Spot!
LostinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinCO View Post
Wish I could join you but tied up. You will have some fun for sure. Bring plenty of water - all you expect to drink because it will be hot! Freaking hot. Was in Delta, CO last week and it was hitting 100 F during the day so be prepared with your own shade and ride fast.

Hope you have fun, find a buddy or a Spot!
Thanks.
I am thinking of counter clock wise--I am better coming down hills than climbing. Schafer switchbacks were not too bad.
advice needed.
Simba
Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Scenic Route 128

Pulled the KLR from the trailer and rode from Grand Junction, CO to Moab, UT. At a gas station this guy and his wife came over and we started talking. When he found out we were heading to Moab he suggested getting off at the Cisco exit and take Route 128South to Moab instead of the Interstate and the Hwy191.

This was an incredible ride on pavement. Only a dirt trail could make this a better more scenic ride. We were close to The Colorado River much of the time carving the canyons around us. I would not have done this if not for the dude at the gas station. Thanks you Friend, whoever you were. He and his wife ride Ninjas so I doubt he will ever read this, but you never know!

Tomorrow AM I will tackle WRT unless somebody decides to join me and do it Sun or Mon.

We will be in St. George on Tue/Wed and would love it if somebody can ride a day tour with me. I have PMed RRR. I am waiting......!

Thanks,
Simba

simbaboy screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 12:32 PM
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
When he found out we were heading to Moab he suggested getting off at the Cisco exit and take Route 128South to Moab instead of the Interstate and the Hwy191.
You are right, that IS a great route and much better then the alternatives.

Too bad the Cisco Disco collapsed years ago, or you could have had an even more eventful trip.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

well solo ride may be off

after speaking to a Park Ranger who assured me that the WRT had been recently graded and no rains in the last couple of days and non forecast, I decided to just try it out today for an hour or so before doing the whole thing tomorrow.

Went up North on 191 and the West on 313? towards Canyonland/Dead Horse, I got to Mineral Bottom Rd where I made a Right turn. A few minutes into the ride and I am thinking this is easy. I rode over several sandy/rocky areas but no problems. About 6-8 Miles into it, I got to some extremely sandy areas and several times got bogged down. Several times I almost went done but was able to stay up. I am not sure if this is the hardest part or not BUT CAN'T DO IT SOLO!

So If in the next few hours if some guys want to do this perfect. I may even post on couple of KLR sites.

RRR from St. George has something planned next week around Zion which I am planning to do. WRT may have to wait until later, I think.

Thanks,
Simba
Old 06-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,911
Find someone to tag along with. You will be a long ways from water if something happens in the middle of the WRT. Too hot to walk out too far this time of year.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

WRT on Tuesday July16 --please join

Hello Friends,
I am planning to the White Rim Trail July 16th--my schedule is flexible plus or minus a day.
please join me in this adventure.
Thanks
Simba

Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 327
The sand doesn't go on for all that long, just get some speed and momentum up and you'll float over it instead of bogging down. I'm a lousy sand rider myself so doing this was a leap of faith but it works.

Coming in from the other end of the trail puts you in the mind set of saying "Oh Hell, I've come all this way I'm not turning back now!"and over the sand you go.

Enjoy your ride, it's one of my favorites!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Thanks for the encouragement.

I got new tires which are more 50:50 and have somewhat broken them in practicing on dirt and gravel here in Lansing, Michigan.
I will do practice runs on easier trails in Moab Mon July 15th before tackling WRT the next day.

Videos of Murphy Hogback are freaking me out. I have not even dared watch Hard Scrabble Hill yet.

Not too late for someone to join me. I can even carry your water and extra gas on my KLR650. My direct email is imu1@comcast.net

Thanks,
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
The sand doesn't go on for all that long, just get some speed and momentum up and you'll float over it instead of bogging down. I'm a lousy sand rider myself so doing this was a leap of faith but it works.

Coming in from the other end of the trail puts you in the mind set of saying "Oh Hell, I've come all this way I'm not turning back now!"and over the sand you go.

Enjoy your ride, it's one of my favorites!
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

WRT Looking for riding partner

Okay D Day approaching or me:
Either Monday July 15th 2013 or Tuesday July 16th. I can even postpone it to Wednesday July 17th.
PM or direct email at imu1@comcast.net
Thanks
Simba
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
jnyrav
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Don't do this trail solo, especially this time of year. It's not particularly hard trail, but there are sandy sections and some climbs that if you're a novice may be a bit challenging.

Whatever water and food you think you need, double it, and have a tarp or umbrella if you need some shade because there's not much out there...

It's a great ride...but again, my best advice as much as it may suck to hear is don't do it solo....

best,

jnyrav
jnyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Come on!
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

I may not do the whole WRT

SR 128 was awesome.
Gemini Bridges was awesome.
I go my ass kicked on Chicken Corners.
I had to turn around at one point where I reached and did not have enough clearance on my lowered KLR650 to clear both tires. I tried to look for a different line but being solo I gave up.
I think I will only do Moab to Potash to Musselman Arch and then add another 25-35 miles and turn around. I don't want to do 'Hogsback' solo.
Thanks for all the advice. I will post here.
Simba
Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

This spot was my Waterloo!

The whole trail was doable with some tricky areas.
Then I got here and there was no way I would be able to do climb these slick rocks without damaging the bike or worse myself.
I tried one line --the front tire went up but the skid plate hit that rock and bike turned off. I did not dump the bike. But I really feel-I may be wrong-that more speed would not have helped me. In fact a higher momentum would have resulted in me being thrown off the bike. What do you experts say?
I may only do the WRT partially maybe less than 100 miles from Moab.
Thanks
Simba