User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Eh? SwingArm Guards,,, my First attemp

I don't know about you guys, but the swingarms on my two 950 got kind of scratch (deep, structural) specially cause by the center stand that somehow get bend kind of easy and touches the pretty surface of the aluminum..

Anyway I have a extra swingarm at my little shop, and I decide to use the Evelen hundred dollar Mold and make a pair of Swingarm guards...

But Before anything please not make this into another discussion about Snap and/or broken swingarms, like you will see in some of the pictures, I decide to use my broken one since is far easier to work on it than doing it right on the bike..

The edges are pretty lamme, but they are going to get cut anyway so does not really matter.

Here are the two guards

Cut and getting drill.

Almost ready to install, testing all the aligment of the holes, before i do it on the bike.

The guard just "Seats There" hold by the chain guard bolts, no glue require.

This is the finish chainside, I need to drill seven holes to mount all the pieces back on, two for the upper Chainring guide, two for the lower one, two more to hold the splash Chainguard at the top and one for the bottom.

Now for the brake rotor side..
I drill the four little holes (two treaded, two pins) into the guard, to add mounting points and also to run the brake hose in a stock fashion (no longer bolts require)

It looks pretty good for a hackjob.

No vaccum bag, nothing special.

I overlap the bottom side into the Inner vertical wall of the swingarm to add "Grip" for the guard, no glue require is the goal.

Upss bad picture, well at least you can see the overlap of the material into the swingarm to add "grip" for the guards.

This looks a lot better.

Detail from the finished brake side.

The finish Brake side.

The Finish Chain side.

No I have No interest in making this kind of things, but at least be honorable and give me credit if you plan to make a business out of it Your self.

Enjoy

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 06-07-2007 at 04:20 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Awesome job Ricky!

That looks great!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Awesome job Ricky!

That looks great!
thanks amigo I was even thinking In making you a set for the Flanny-Movil, but I'm not feeling to well this days so I'm going to let you do them your self.

Another thing....

Oviuslly carbon kind of sucks as a guard material, but I did not have any Kevlar to make them right, at least I used medium curing epoxi so the resin is not to brittle.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
thanks amigo I was even thinking In making you a set for the Flanny-Movil, but I'm not feeling to well this days so I'm going to let you do them your self.

Another thing....

Oviuslly carbon kind of sucks as a guard material, but I did not have any Kevlar to make them right, at least I used medium curing epoxi so the resin is not to brittle.

My swing-arm just got back from black powder-coat yesterday; Hopefully it will be tough enought to withstand the toe of by boot rubbing on it when I put the centre stand down....

You know, another thing that could work for that would be to stretch a short section of front inner-tube over the swingarm, and contact cement it into place where my boot rubs....hmmmm....now you've got me thinking...
Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
My swing-arm just got back from black powder-coat yesterday; Hopefully it will be tough enought to withstand the toe of by boot rubbing on it when I put the centre stand down....

You know, another thing that could work for that would be to stretch a short section of front inner-tube over the swingarm, and contact cement it into place where my boot rubs....hmmmm....now you've got me thinking...
Flanny maybe a "less Attitute" version of something like this will do the trick.

Full on S&M ricky style.

If anything i will say a old roadbike tyre and some E-6000 and you will be in business, Bicycles tubes are much to weak, believe me I know..

Actually i have great luck ussing "mister Tuffy's" a inner tube protector that sucks at stoping flats but is great to make wrap around guards.

works on roofracks.

chainstays.

and pretty much anything you want, the problem with the 950 is that the swingarm has that concave shape to it, so will be complicated to wrap with out leaving a gap for water and mud to make a home.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,498
Very nice swingarm guards Ricky!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
the swingarms on my two 950 got kind of scratch...

I can appreciate your ingenuity Ricardo, but geeze... when did this become the little sissy's club. So you got a scratch, big deal. Ride your bike and stop worrying about how shiney it is.

And I can't imagine swapping un-sprung weight for a carbon look swing arm.

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
I can appreciate your ingenuity Ricardo, but geeze... when did this become the little sissy's club. So you got a scratch, big deal. Ride your bike and stop worrying about how shiney it is.

First of all PowerCell i'm totally on your side all this shinny fark...whatever bikes make me sick, but then the guards are pretty much weightless, i was well aware of the Un-sprung mass issue, after all i'm being around Bicycles way long enogh, then is a thing call stress rising cracks that can affect materials like "thinWall" aluminum extrusions in a very big way.

Besides my new 950 came all "Pre-scrach-up" and I will not like any other way since is so much easier to keep trashing it than a shinny bike, But then again the last thing I need is another broken swingarm so I'm doing everything in my power to prevent it from happening, even if I can not fix the main issue all togheter.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 06-07-2007 at 03:12 PM
Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347
Very nice swingarm guards Ricky!
thanks Amigo, maybe you need to make some for "My old lady"
Old 06-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #10
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell

You must know that that carbon protector Ricky put on weighs next to nothing.... its no big deal.

Hey Ricky! I like it - I might make a pair for myself too btw - and check if I like the black look on my SE.

You get the credit for the idea
Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors

Hey Ricky! I like it - I might make a pair for myself too btw - and check if I like the black look on my SE.

You get the credit for the idea
If you can find some Kevlar and make them out of that, since is a lot more resilient, if you like the "Black Look" just make the last layer in carbon for pure cosmetic porpuses.

I try to not be a "fashion Victim" but I confess i like the black swingarm a lot, specially on the black bike.

The next project is to make a more integrated and strong engine bash plate with compartments for tools, oil and spare parts down low, that included "foils" to protect your feet and also the shift and brake levers from rocks and other objects.

Hopefully by then i will have some Kevlar to make it.

Actually the "real" next project is to cover the whole bike on black "Scotchlight" tape that is soppose to be here any day..
Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #12
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Hey, Wot's going on in here? I was tied up, BUSY in the shop polishing my handlebars to a mirror finish. What are you guys discussing?

I don't really know.

besides for "Beautyfication" i prefer to take MudBaths

Plus if i care about "prissy" bikes mine will never be used as a "jungle Gym"

my Gs already achive HomeLess status long time ago.

Ps: really ShiNNy bars (or anything else) is a bad idea because it reflexs to much light, is all about the Mate finish.

PsII: i bet it took you hours to paint your GpS mount black, but at least looks really good

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 06-08-2007 at 08:19 AM
Old 06-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
I like the protectors!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Quote:
BTW, TT sells the bracket in black now. I'm not THAT guy..sure, I might do a little cleaning once or twice a year but...nope... Y got to look in GSpot for the real farkling crowd.
Funny 'dat.

I just tookl my mount apart last night to sent the alluminum bits out to be anodizred black. I though I'd have something no one else has....Damn!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #15
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking I might get a reflection but eh, I was bored. Had a set of that really nasty puke orange/gold Renthals and thought I'd experiment.
oh yeah the "puke orange/gold"
Quote:

BTW, TT sells the bracket in black now.
well for sure looks a lot better, good job Herbert.
Quote:
I'm not THAT guy..sure, I might do a little cleaning once or twice a year but...nope... Y got to look in GSpot for the real farkling crowd.
Tell me about...
If i read the word farkling ones more I'm going to kill my self.

Sadlly The current GS riders, sound more like "tall goldwing riders" than anything else this days.

Is being months since i see something interesting, inovative and useful on that side of the forum, everyhing is shinny, heavy and aim for more comfort than anything else or just pure bling.
Quote:
Like the swingarm protectors btw... Might need some for when I polish my swingarm
two hours at the most, pretty easy job.