User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
FDKLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
KLR Clutch Side Gasket problem

I had the Clutch side gasket on my KLR fail.
I replaced the gasket and within about 2000 miles it began leaking again. This time below and slightly back of the water pump area against the block.

I took everything apart and block and cover do not have any scratches or gouges. So I replaced the gasket and put everything back together again. I let the bike sit over night and I noticed that a small amount of oil is beginning to leak in that same area again.

Has anyone else had any issue with this and or has any one just used RTV in place of the gasket to possibly fill any voids or if the cover has a slight warp in it.

Thank you,
Brian
FDKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDKLR View Post
I had the Clutch side gasket on my KLR fail.
I replaced the gasket and within about 2000 miles it began leaking again. This time below and slightly back of the water pump area against the block.

I took everything apart and block and cover do not have any scratches or gouges. So I replaced the gasket and put everything back together again. I let the bike sit over night and I noticed that a small amount of oil is beginning to leak in that same area again.

Has anyone else had any issue with this and or has any one just used RTV in place of the gasket to possibly fill any voids or if the cover has a slight warp in it.

Thank you,
Brian
Never had that problem. Find the cause. Old gasket not propery removed? Put a straight edge along the surfaces to see if there is any thing not flat. All bolts correctly torqued? Any possibility that the leak is from the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump and running back?

Next time use some Hondabond, Yamahabond or Kawasakibond gray sealant - all the same stuff with different labels. Hondabond is avaialble also at their car dealerships. Apply it thinly as some may come off on the inside and eventually get stuck in the oil pump gauze filter.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
FDKLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I believe that everything is tourqued correctly and I checked again this morning as well.

All the old gasket has been removed preped and cleaned. These gaskets are fairly thin compared to larger engines.

I verifed the water pump drain and the drain that has a passageway below the oil filer and those are not leaking.

I do not have a machine flat deck but it appears relatively flat with a ruler.

With that gasket maker would you still use a factory gasket as well?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,181
I have a leak in the same area, I nicked it prying off the cover when I replaced the clutch.
It peed pretty good out of the top of the cover there.
After replacing the gasket and having it still leak, I hit it with some JB weld and that stopped the leak.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
With that gasket maker would you still use a factory gasket as well?
Yes. Use the 'bond' only where necessary and sparingly both sides of the gasket.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
FDKLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. I may try the JB weld, or if I get excited I will pull it all apart again and try the gasket with sealer. I would hate to waste all that new oil and coolant though.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I may try the JB weld, or if I get excited I will pull it all apart again and try the gasket with sealer. I would hate to waste all that new oil and coolant though.
absolutely no reason why you cant drain the oil and the coolant into clean (seperate, obviously) containers and reuse.
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
I had that problem when using an aftermarket gasket. I replaced it with an OEM gasket and the leak stopped. In fact, I used several aftermarket gaskets (Tusk brand, FWIW) and most of them leaked and had to be replaced by OEM's, which promptly stopped all leakage.