ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
flashgv2012 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
CO Backcountry Discovery Route

Hello everyone,

My friend and myself will be leaving the northwest, Seattle and Portland, July 4th to head for the COBDR. Anybody else here that we might cross paths with along the route? We'll be starting at the four corners going north. I estimate we'll get to the starting point around Sunday the 7th or so. Probably take about a week to cover the route. Hope to see some other adventure riders out there.

Gordon
flashgv2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,121
You'll have a terrific time!

You should be connecting with many fellow COBDR travelers soon. It's a terrific route, with some of the best moto-camping I've ever done. The Advance Scouting Team did it in seven days in August 2012.

Bon voyage ...

byways screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 08:25 AM Reason: add text
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,890
We area leaving GA on July 26th to head to Durango in a truck with our small DS bikes in the back and start the COBDR around Delores, CO on the 29th. So we won't be there when you are, but we are definitely looking forward to it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
flashgv2012 OP
Adventurer

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the picture! Can hardly wait. Anyone happen to know how the snow level looks at the moment? Any parts of the route not passable?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Two of us will be leaving Divide, CO on July 10th to head for 4 Corners and the start of the ride. Leave some good tracks for us to follow (don't make any wrong turns!)
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,121
Above Telluride ...

The COBDR Advance Scouting Team hard at "work" ...

You guys are going to love it!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
flashgv2012 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
Two of us will be leaving Divide, CO on July 10th to head for 4 Corners and the start of the ride. Leave some good tracks for us to follow (don't make any wrong turns!)
Right behind us. No wrong turns. Got it.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgv2012 View Post
Right behind us. No wrong turns. Got it.
When you are on one of these long adventure routes and follow someones knobby tracks for days, literally, and then they disappear, it makes you scratch your head. TAT 2011 that happened a number of times. We would wind up on a track that we would swear hadn't been used in years, with absolutely no sign of disturbance, and feel like the only humans on earth. Some time later, voila, tracks would show up again. We never did figure out if someone cut the corners, or if they were using different routing. Maybe some of each. Regardless, we did spend days riding what appeared to be virgin tracks. Enjoy!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Finished/got home last Friday. First accross Cumberland (other than plow driver), Hagerman Pass was still snowed in on the East side. Ophir Pass, was, well, Ophir Pass. No issues with water crossing, beaver pond was only nutsack deep. We started on Sunday 9 June at Four Corners, completed route (other than Hagerman East side and a couple areas closed for elk calving) on Wednesday the 13th.
We started with 4, finished with 2 (blown Racetech G3 shock and seperated shoulder on a rider).
2 F8GSs, 1 1200GSA, and a KTM990.

Awesome ride. 2 wheels, 7 days, 2700 miles.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but I hate Wyndoming.
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
mollymayhem
FNG

Oddometer: 6
Talking Coming from CA

Leaving SF on the 10th headed to COBDR. Insanely excited.

Kinda worried about the fires, though. Do the current fires intersect with the route at all?

If you run into me out there, say hi. Flat black KLR with hot pink fork boots and CA plates.
mollymayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
flashgv2012 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymayhem View Post
Leaving SF on the 10th headed to COBDR. Insanely excited.

Kinda worried about the fires, though. Do the current fires intersect with the route at all?

If you run into me out there, say hi. Flat black KLR with hot pink fork boots and CA plates.

From what I've looked at, we should avoid the fires. Not 100% sure though. We'll keep an eye out for you. We're going from south to north starting around Monday-ish. Leaving Seattle area early Thursday morning July 4. Two of us, one on a green 2006 KLR WA plates and one on a white/black XR650L OR plates.

The heat going through Nevada concerns me a little.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Cortez, CO

I'm in the hunt for a lovable, kind, gracious fellow inmate near Cortez, CO. BigDog, Dingweeds and I need a place to park our vehicles while we ride the COBDR....

Also, I see you can fly out of Cortez.. any issues with that. I need to fly out to get back home to St. Louis while BigDog and Dingweeds head for the UTBDR..

Mucho love!

Bash3r

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Bash3r you should contact Harry Hill, Basin Motorcycle Works, at Mancos,CO for you place to park. Harry does all he can to help out us off road type. His phone# 970-533-7005

ride smart
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,723
Riders... about the fires. The only section that I have heard is closed is the easy bypass from Ridgeway over Owl Creek Pass on the day 2 section. The East Fork fire is burning about 3 miles away from the road so they shut it down last week. You should look for some CO fire info.

If you wanted an easier route than the official easy part... go over Ophir Pass then into Silverton then over Cinnamon to Lake City. That would bypass Corkscrew, Hurricane, and California passes.

For flying out of Cortez, that probably routes to Denver or ABQ or maybe even Salt Lake.

Have fun.

eddyturn screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 12:16 PM
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Riders... about the fires. The only section that I have heard is closed is the easy bypass from Ridgeway over Owl Creek Pass on the day 2 section. The East Fork fire is burning about 3 miles away from the road so they shut it down last week. You should look for some CO fire info.

If you wanted an easier route than the official easy part... go over Ophir Pass then into Silverton then over Cinnamon to Lake City. That would bypass Corkscrew, Hurricane, and California passes.

Have fun.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully they won't get any worse.

Doesn't your monsoon season start about mid July?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote