ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Thx for the responses, we are all set! see ya on the trail....

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
looks like Owl Creek may be out but other scenic was are out there. Options will be developed that will not suck.
Molly - when you going and where you starting?
dingweeds were your starting and when? Got your place to stay yet?

Bob
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,028
For current wildfire updates ...

Visit Inciweb.org

Also, the National Interagency Fire Center, in Boise, Idaho.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #19
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
Here's a thread if you're having issues with the tracks.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899100
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
eriojas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
hello from mexico

My son and I in two klr´s hauling them from Mexico to Dolores, leave truck there and start riding our bikes july 14 ,planning to get to Gypsum-Eagle on july 16 , go back to Dolores.

Hope to see some people on the route!!
eriojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'm hoping to get on the route in the next few weeks. Are you all using full knobbies? I'm on a ktm990 with the stock scorpions, I'm thinking I probably need to get more aggressive tires in case of rain and maybe a few scrabble spots?

Hope you guys all have a safe, excellent adventure! Thanks to Butler, etc for putting this route together.

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
eriojas
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
I'm hoping to get on the route in the next few weeks. Are you all using full knobbies? I'm on a ktm990 with the stock scorpions, I'm thinking I probably need to get more aggressive tires in case of rain and maybe a few scrabble spots?

Hope you guys all have a safe, excellent adventure! Thanks to Butler, etc for putting this route together.
Hello, we are using the stock tires on our klr´s, have riden aggresive terrain in them without any problems here in Mexico.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
While less aggressive dual sport tires are probably fine for the majority of the ride if it stays dry, when ever I'm spending a lot of time/money to do a trip like this, I'd rather not struggle more if I do run into mud or more aggressive terrain where aggressive knobbies can help out. This would be especially true if I was on a larger bike like the KTM990. If you can make the entire trip on knobbies, its probably worth it to spoon a set on, at least a front knobby. Big bikes in mud with street oriented tires never equals fun. Heck sometimes knobbies get overwhelmed in extremely slick or snotty mud, but at least they help out.

I know for our group, we'll all be running something in the line of D606's, MT21's or Kenda Track Master II's. We'll all be on small DS bikes our selves and trailering out there from GA, so mileage of the tires isn't much of a concern as long as we can make our loop we are doing.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
eriojas
Adventurer

Ohv

Read somewhere about the OHV sticker, to ride the COBDR and with plates from another country is this sticker needed?

thks!!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriojas View Post
Read somewhere about the OHV sticker, to ride the COBDR and with plates from another country is this sticker needed?

thks!!
I think the answer is yes, considering the following. But the good thing is they aren't expensive and it supports something you love.... Sorry though. You can get it on line:
http://parks.state.co.us/ohvsandsnow...strations.aspx

Out-of-state OHVs
Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit which is valid from the date of purchase through the following March 31. These permits can be purchased anywhere you get your hunting/fishing licenses in Colorado, via mail-in request, or you can order one online at the Colorado State Parks E-Store.
Once purchased, this sticker should be placed on the vehicle's outside face of the right front fender or fork. Since this is only a use permit, no renewal notice will be sent to non-resident permit holders; you must purchase a new permit each year you come to Colorado with your OHV.

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
eriojas
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
I think the answer is yes, considering the following. But the good thing is they aren't expensive and it supports something you love.... Sorry though. You can get it on line:
http://parks.state.co.us/ohvsandsnow...strations.aspx

Out-of-state OHVs
Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit which is valid from the date of purchase through the following March 31. These permits can be purchased anywhere you get your hunting/fishing licenses in Colorado, via mail-in request, or you can order one online at the Colorado State Parks E-Store.
Once purchased, this sticker should be placed on the vehicle's outside face of the right front fender or fork. Since this is only a use permit, no renewal notice will be sent to non-resident permit holders; you must purchase a new permit each year you come to Colorado with your OHV.
A KLR is an OHV?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

That has been my attitude about a lot of the gear. I rode Switzerland trail in the rain and the dirt roads around it. It's just a RR grade with a lot of rock, but I hit a couple of the spurs with decent climbs and back up logan mill rd, which is dirt and steep. The front was a little greasy... I was pleased the back stuck and it'll have more weight on it when I do the trip. There is a good chance I'll be solo on this, so another reason to be more careful. I figure it's going to have a lot of people on most of it if I have something bad happen.... I do a lot of pretty tough single track already.. I'll check out the tires y'll put up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
While less aggressive dual sport tires are probably fine for the majority of the ride if it stays dry, when ever I'm spending a lot of time/money to do a trip like this, I'd rather not struggle more if I do run into mud or more aggressive terrain where aggressive knobbies can help out. This would be especially true if I was on a larger bike like the KTM990. If you can make the entire trip on knobbies, its probably worth it to spoon a set on, at least a front knobby. Big bikes in mud with street oriented tires never equals fun. Heck sometimes knobbies get overwhelmed in extremely slick or snotty mud, but at least they help out.

I know for our group, we'll all be running something in the line of D606's, MT21's or Kenda Track Master II's. We'll all be on small DS bikes our selves and trailering out there from GA, so mileage of the tires isn't much of a concern as long as we can make our loop we are doing.

AMA / NCTR.net
Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #28
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
You are riding a properly plated bike on US Highways, state highways, county roads, forest service roads, and city streets. Those are not OHV trails so no sticker required. If you go on any OHV trails or singletrack, you will need the sticker. COBDR does not have any singletrack or OHV trails that I can see.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

Not a big fan of 606s on a big bike. I put a rear on my 950 SER once. The tire lasted all of 200 miles. The off throttle torque ripped the knobs off. And I've always hated the 606 front. The knobs are really hard on that tire. They will put you down on wet pavement in a flash. I always liked the TKC 80 on the front. They go fast on paved roads. And really grip off road. Just drop the air pressure some. As for the rears. Again the TKC is a good choice. The side wall is soft enough to grip on off camber trails. I also like 908 rear but on off camber the side walls will allow the tire to down ward track. Reducing the air pressure is a huge deal. In rock I could get by with 18 to 22 psi. Also making sure that your fork is linear at in slow and high speed bumps is important.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #30
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Not a big fan of 606s on a big bike. I put a rear on my 950 SER once. The tire lasted all of 200 miles. The off throttle torque ripped the knobs off. And I've always hated the 606 front. The knobs are really hard on that tire. They will put you down on wet pavement in a flash. I always liked the TKC 80 on the front. They go fast on paved roads. And really grip off road. Just drop the air pressure some. As for the rears. Again the TKC is a good choice. The side wall is soft enough to grip on off camber trails. I also like 908 rear but on off camber the side walls will allow the tire to down ward track. Reducing the air pressure is a huge deal. In rock I could get by with 18 to 22 psi. Also making sure that your fork is linear at in slow and high speed bumps is important.
Yeah, I've never ran the D606 on anything larger than a KLR650. I could definitely see something like a 950SE or even the 950 ADV (if it comes in that size) not lasting very long on one of those bikes. You are definitely right about the front 606. That is a crappy front tire. I'm much happier with a MT21 front and a D606 rear. The MT21 rear is good until it starts to wear down, then it just starts to get lose way too easily.

You can't go wrong with a TKC on the front. It has amazing street characteristics for being such a knobby tire. In fact, I'm running one of those right now on my Strom with the Heidenau K60 rear. Love that setup.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote