User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,531
Not So Shiney Polarized Glasses

I just picked up and rode home in a new pair of glasses with variable polarized Transition lens. I decided to try these for the boat and bike rather than prescription sunglasses. These things are sweet. Well, as sweet as any glasses can be.

I am not sure how long variable polarization has been an option with photochromic lens so maybe this is old news. But my eye doc just started offering it for an extra $70 so it is new news to me. It was worth every penny for my outdoor specs.

I am a land surveyor, boater and rider who spends a lot of time in the sun. Contacts don't work for me. So I get pretty sick of fried eyeballs and having to switch between prescription shades and glasses. These seem to work well for what I do.

So I am just passing the word to YFF's who ride. They are called Transition Vantage and get two thumbs up from me - at least so far. Only time will tell how the coating stands up to abuse. http://www.transitionsvantage.com/
Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
LASIK.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Don't you find that you get strange swirly patterns on your m/c face shield from the polarising aspect?
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nope - I run a clear shield on one and clear goggles on the other.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
My
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
having to switch between prescription shades and glasses.
was fixed with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
LASIK.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
Don't you find that you get strange swirly patterns on your m/c face shield from the polarising aspect?
That's why I don't wear polarized lenses on the bike. Shields, speedo covers, etc....get the oily, crazy look. Can't read my LCD watch either.

The eye docs told me many times if you're behind glass or plastic, the transitions lenses won't darken up like they should so no good in the car or in a helmet.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I don't agree with your eye dictor. I have been wearing transition lens for years and they always darken in my helmet. They just don't go full dark. Which is probably why I didn't get the full checkerboard car window deal with these new ones since the polarization is also variable with the tint.

I had no trouble with gauges, face shield, nuthin. I just noticed less sparkle switching between these and my regular glasses. These things worked very well inside my helmet getting just dark enough to work as shades with just enough polarization to knock down the glare. My boat will be the acid test next week.

As for what your eye doc said about getting dark inside a helmet, I have been wearing Transition lens inside my helmets for years. I can promise you they get dark enough to help with glare. The variable polarization with these new ones is just that much better. These are my old Transition lens inside my goggles riding in a frozen cloud and they still got partially dark:

Grreatdog screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 09:50 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,252
Quote:
I have been wearing transition lens for years and they always darken in my helmet.
Depends upon what your shield is made of. Polycarbonate shields block the UV that darkens transition lenses. If your lens is getting partially dark I'd guess your shield only blocks part of the UV
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Like I already said above, I always use clear shields and goggle lens so I doubt they block anything but wind, bugs and roost.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Like I already said above, I always use clear shields and goggle lens so I doubt they block anything but wind, bugs and roost.
Even clear shields will block UV, but I may try the Transitions on my next pair of lenses based on your info.

Thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

You may want to do that as a second pair. The Transition polarized lens that I just got stay a little darker than the standard Transition lens. All of them have a touch of gray tint. But I think the eye doc said about 5% for these.

I knew that going in. So I got these as a second pair specifically for mostly outdoor work. Outdoor work is especially hard on my eyes since we are usually on concrete or asphalt. That they work riding and boating is just a bonus.

I have a pair of non Transition glasses for normal indoor office wear at the computer just because I don't care for how the slight gray tint looks. It doesn't affect my ability to see indoors. I wearing them today. I just don't care for the look.

I wish Lasik were an option to eliminate all this. But for some reason all three eye docs I have seen since it became common have said I am not a good candidate and they don't recommend trying it.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

My perscription hasn't really changed in 10 years so I have an assortment of old glasses (get a new pair each year via insurance) so no worries on the spare pair!

I've wanted to try them for years, but been turned off by the docs.

I've never looked into Lasik. Contacts work well for me, but in the last year my close vision suffers when wearing contacts (welcome to the back 1/3 of your life) and I don't carry reading glasses so I've been wearing my glasses more often as it's easier to take them off for close work. Don't know if Lasik can help with that.

Quote:
You may want to do that as a second pair. The Transition polarized lens that I just got stay a little darker than the standard Transition lens. All of them have a touch of gray tint. But I think the eye doc said about 5% for these.

I knew that going in. So I got these as a second pair specifically for mostly outdoor work. Outdoor work is especially hard on my eyes since we are usually on concrete or asphalt. That they work riding and boating is just a bonus.

I have a pair of non Transition glasses for normal indoor office wear at the computer just because I don't care for how the slight gray tint looks. It doesn't affect my ability to see indoors. I wearing them today. I just don't care for the look.

I wish Lasik were an option to eliminate all this. But for some reason all three eye docs I have seen since it became common have said I am not a good candidate and they don't recommend trying it.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Huladog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Not sure if this still applies with the latest generation lenses but the darkening effect also varies based on the air temperature getting darker when its cooler, not as dark when its warmer.

Aloha,
Huladog
Huladog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: