Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #46
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Good advice. I was looking at a i73930 (unlocked), but the price was a bit much for my budget. Maybe it will come down a bit by the end of the year.
I generally avoid enthusiast rigs. You end up paying double the money for maybe 10% more prefomance.

...and unless you are doing pretty heavy picture editing/compiling/video encoding, nothing is written applicationwise to use 6-8 cores anyway. Hell four cores are rarely ever full employed.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #47
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I generally avoid enthusiast rigs. You end up paying double the money for maybe 10% more prefomance.

...and unless you are doing pretty heavy picture editing/compiling/video encoding, nothing is written applicationwise to use 6-8 cores anyway. Hell four cores are rarely ever full employed.
I do tend to lag 18-24 months behind the latest tech to save $$. And I have leaned toward AMD for that reason too. An x8 FX 8350 @$199 is tempting, but I do not think I will see a huge performance gain.

DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #48
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
I do tend to lag 18-24 months behind the latest tech to save $$. And I have leaned toward AMD for that reason too. An x8 FX 8350 @$199 is tempting, but I do not think I will see a huge performance gain.

You won't, infact in gaming applications bulldozer AMDs are actually slower than base level 25xx i5s.

I tend to build with the current architecture and spend the money where I needed it, the case of the last build it was on the GPU and SSD (and it really is a nice system drive) still the tower was less than $2,000 and my towers tend to last for 5-6 years. I'll run that box until I can't do when I ask it and build another.

My last computer was a C2D E8600 that I built in 2006 (if I remember right) it still works fine, but as the OSs and applications bloated for the amount of resourses that are commonly available, I ran out of headroom, that chip was the omega of the Core 2 chips sets. When I built this box I was pleasantly surprised that Intel stuck with the 1156 chipsets so I can still upgrade through the 3000 series i5/i7 if needed.

Still, that 2550 I got for like $225 dollars, I already had the cooler from another build. I imagine it would run with the original four core extremes, but I haven't really loaded up all of the benchmark software and beaten it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #49
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I work from home and recently bought a 2 year old used dell workstation, refurbed on Ebay. It works fantastically, tons on memory, great quad core processor, 2 high end graphics card and 4 monitors. Really strong performance for about 1K including 2 of the monitors and office 2103 and Windows 7.

Workstations are often on 24 for 36 month leases from corporate users, and are very well build and easy to add to. There are a number of refuber/resellers online.

This setup is not much good regarding portability, but that is what the ipad is for.

In any case you can get outstanding performance exceeding most new laptops very afford ably if you are able to trade off larger size and to some degree power consumption.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #50
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,316
I still use a pretty bad ass desktop as my home 'center'. I haven't gotten past the mindset where the laptop is a peripheral and all photos / music / files / media should be stored on a robust machine, easily accessed via LAN. And backed up on multiple drives.

People who only own a laptop, must not have the TB's of photos and music that some of us do. Or, they just have a ton of external drives they plug into often, i guess.
KSJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #51
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
I still use a pretty bad ass desktop as my home 'center'. I haven't gotten past the mindset where the laptop is a peripheral and all photos / music / files / media should be stored on a robust machine, easily accessed via LAN. And backed up on multiple drives.

People who only own a laptop, must not have the TB's of photos and music that some of us do. Or, they just have a ton of external drives they plug into often, i guess.
or a NAS box.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #52
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Yep,i'm using it. Twin duel core 64s.
Doesn't matter how fast it is,no wifi ,no cable here, dial up.
And antenna tv! I like liveing out in the sticks!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #53
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Dial-up is no match for spell check.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #54
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,027
Quote:
Good advice. I was looking at a i73930 (unlocked), but the price was a bit much for my budget. Maybe it will come down a bit by the end of the year.
That one kills you too cause the motherboards that support it are much more expensive (I looked at it too).

From the i5 you listed to an i7 3770K it's a 50% speed boost for 100 dollars. The i7 3930 is 25% faster than the 3770K BUT double the price....and 3 times that of the i5. This is all before another 100-200 for the motherboard premium and it's a lot of cash for that 25%.

Also the i5 2550 and i7 3770K use the same socket.

But you do plan to overclock so that's something I don't mess with on my work machines and some of the processors respond better to that.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #55
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Ivy Bridge (i5/7 3xxx) don't like overclocking, that was the main reason that I ran with the a 2xxx Sandy bridge, they heat up like a mother, but a good push/pull fixes that.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #56
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,689
Being a gamer, I've always had and always will have desktops.

Besides gaming, my PC is blisteringly fast in every way...loading pictures, streaming video, Netflix, etc.

It's also my office/copier/word processor, etc.

24 gigs of RAM certainly helps.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #57
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Made the switch to laptops about 5 years ago and I aint going back, no sir!
I'm using my asus rog in my lap to game or attached to an external 24" to process RAW files from my nikon cameras. At night, it plays blues and slow music for my 7 months old dauther
It has an ivy i7, 32GB Ram and a really potent graphic card. Not to mention dual ssd's in raid 0.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #58
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Yeah I know, ancient technology.

But really after looking at new computers I finally realized that desktops are almost dead. There's very little to be found and most of those are for business purposes. I ended up buying an HP Envy on closeout which has a 6 core processor, 10gb of ram and a 1.5tb hard drive. I do a lot of video editing and rendering so lots of storage and processing speed are important and you can't get that in a laptop for cheap.

So who else is still hangin on to the desktop tech?
Everyone that understands the performance difference between portable devices and desktops.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #59
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I do at work (PC) for business stuff, and a revved up Mac Pro (desktop) for video editing and production.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #60
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
3 monitors of 1920 x 1200, 32 gb ram, quad core i7, 512 gb of ssd drives and a 3 tb raid 0 array that moves over 500 megabytes per second.

At work though, I am replacing desktops with thin clients (wyse primarily) and rds. So much easier to deal with for most users.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: