User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Ophir OP
uber n00b

Oddometer: 5
Schuberth C3 Sizing ??

Bear with me a bit here. I have lurked here for awhile but, actually did create part of the Internets (unlike Owl Gore) so, I get a default break from "newbieness". Right?

I tried on the Shuberth C3's today. The sizing says that I need an XXL. That felt way too tight and I needed two hands to latch the chin section. The XXXL felt perfect on my big, round, Slavic head.

I am assuming that this is the combo, i.e. fat, round head = go up a size?

I figure this shell has thinnest liner. If it loosens too much during break-in, I can sub in a thicker item.

Am I off base or, on the money?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,155
Get the one that feels the best. It will "form" around your head but usually not enough to change a whole size. I have a C2 and recently tried a C3..the sizing seemed pretty close between the models.

PS. DAAAYUUUUM you have a BIG head
Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
turdpolisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Upsize

I wer a large in most makers lids, recently brought the C3 in XL. Snug fit, very comfortable. Have about 20 hours in it and love everything about it. Get the one that fits right. The liner has given a little but not a drastic amount.
turdpolisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 729
Take it for a spin. They should really let you test ride it.
When I tried a C3 for the first time it felt like I should go up a size (from XL to XXL). Then I tried it again, and it seemed my regular size (XL) would work. My head is of the 'big round' variety. Don't know what happened, except a few weeks passed, and maybe the display model got worn in a bit (that, or my head shrunk). Anyways, the regular size worked fine, but not enough of a noise difference to my Caberg Justissimo to shell out the big bucks. I also didn't like the short sun visor on the Schuberth.
Oooh, the answer to your question: wear it for longer, and test ride it.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Please do not buy any helmet without spending a bunch of time in it to make sure it fits correctly. If you must, take it home and sit in your living room and agree on a return date if it does not fit. Don't do the old: "I take a size X in brand A" comparison. It rarely works.

I tried on a C3 in the shop, did not spend enough time with it on my head and found out the $$$ hard way it was uncomfortable. It was an XL, precisely the size the size chart said I should wear. My skull, however, disagreed! I lost $$ re-selling it after I let the return period piss away trying to resolve the fit issue.

FWIW, even though the Schuberth chart said XL, and the USA rep suggested and XXL liner....I ended up with a Large in another manufacturer. The sizing labels are nearly meaningless for comparison purposes. It's your skull size and shape that matter.
Bobonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Ophir OP
uber n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks everyone for the insight. I will order the XXXL from Revzilla as they state a "no hassle return, exchange" policy.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Revzilla is FANtastic about returns. Just keep an eye on your return-by date and don't peel off the protective shield cover, as I think they will consider the helmet "ridden in" and deny return.
Bobonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
The sizing chart said I should be an XXL. My head, said XXL. go with what your head says. Honestly, there was only a slight difference in size between the two. Like you said, if it seems a bit big after some miles, you can always by the thicker pads. Great helmet! But I can't wait for the first scratch so I can stop treating it like a Faberge egg,
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Schuberth C3 Sizing ??

I purchased one today from Bob's BMW. I had tried on others at various places and knew I needed a size L. I also bought the SRC Bluetooth and a gentleman at Bob's installed it for me. When I got to the hotel tonight, I find the face shield difficult to close, requiring two hands, and the thing is literally choking me. I think it's the SRC "neck roll" and it's squeezing the sides of my esophagus.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Went to the motorcycle show in San Mateo yesterday and tried on a XXL C3, as I wear an XXL Scorpion exo-1000. The XXL felt great except for the cheek pads, which were tight. The Schuberth rep suggested I try on a 3XL, so I did and it was perfect. Just slightly larger than the XXL. First thing I noticed is how light the helmet is. Wow. Very well made too. Schuberth was offering to pick up the sales tax, so I bought it..... And the SRC system too. Call it an early Xmas prezzy! Now if the rain would stop, I could go riding.
TomDac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Schuberth C3 Sizing ??

I was seriously thinking about taking my C3 back but tried something that worked. I purchased the helmet on a business trip so, in the hotel that night, I crammed a bed pillow into it and let it sit overnight. The next morning, he helmet was easier to get on and operate. I bought a small pillow at a Bed Bath & Beyond and crammed that sucker in there and situated it so that it stressed the SRC neck roll. That was on Wednesday and I let it stay like that until Sunday morning when I went for a ride. The helmet fit perfectly and cause virtually no discomfort. The Schuberth is a keeper.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend

mikegc screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 10:13 AM
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
grpweld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I tried medium & large C3 on at the dealership & liked the large really well, butt after riding for an hour or longer the straps would start to press into my glands in my throat, There was a slight amount of looseness in my helmet & the wind was pushing the helmet back & up! So I bought medium cheek & head pads. I was initially going to try the cheek pad replacement first But that is kinda a PIA, so I put in the headgear pads & walla its perfect now Been riding like this for about 6 months now
Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
schuberths are true to size (check the size chart for correct size) but the right size feels very snug at first. when you get used it (put a few miles on it), it becomes much more comfortable
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
I was thinking about taking my C3 back. I crammed a bed pillow into it and left it sit overnight. The next morning, he helmet was easier to get on and operate. I bought a pillow and crammed in there so that it stressed the SRC neck roll. That was on Wednesday and I let it stay like that until Sunday morning. The helmet fit perfectly and cause virtually no discomfort. The Schuberth is a keeper.

Mike
Great idea... I've got a helmet that's a bit snug. Will try this method tonight.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
A tip I picked up on the LDRiders list,

Buy a small soccer ball, and put it in the helmet and inflate it to the size/pressure that you're comfortable with.
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would work better than a pillow.
Good luck!