User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
cbr2adv? OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
DRZ400S Model Year Differences

Have there been any significant changes between model years on the DRZ400S? If not, how long have they been the same (other than color).

I think of one as a compliment to my Ulysses and a replacement for my ATV.
cbr2adv? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
The DRZ400 line came into play around 99/2000. There are not a whole lot of differences. in 2000 and 2001 the E model had better suspension. In 2002 and up the S got the better suspension. Cam chain tensioners have been updates. other then that I can't think of anything major. Recently they added the sm model.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
wegster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
No real differences except as noted- DRZs <= 2001 have different suspension than the E off-road only model, 2002 + have the better suspension. There are some differences in later years for the E model, '07 everywhere and somewhere around '04+ Kalifornia models lost the FCR39 carb, replaced with the S model's...for an S, no differences besides the suspension + color/gfx.
wegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr2adv?
Have there been any significant changes between model years on the DRZ400S? If not, how long have they been the same (other than color).

I think of one as a compliment to my Ulysses and a replacement for my ATV.
Not a bad plan. I currently have the same combo. DRZ for the dirt orientied rides, Uly for the street orientied ones. Of course some times I get confused and drive the DRZ down 300 miles of slab or the Uly through rivers and mud

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
cbr2adv? OP
Adventurer

Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by paochow
Not a bad plan. I currently have the same combo. DRZ for the dirt orientied rides, Uly for the street orientied ones. Of course some times I get confused and drive the DRZ down 300 miles of slab or the Uly through rivers and mud
Confusion can be good! Do you think that I will be happy w/ the DRZ as an ATV replacement? I have ridden dirt bikes in the past as well. My current quad is a TRX450r.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
cbr2adv? OP
Adventurer

Differences

Guys,

Thanks for chiming in on the model year differences. That was exactly the answer that I was looking for.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr2adv?
Confusion can be good! Do you think that I will be happy w/ the DRZ as an ATV replacement? I have ridden dirt bikes in the past as well. My current quad is a TRX450r.
The DRZ is a bit on the heavy side for a true dirt bike, but it works great as a dirt oriented all rounder. Hoping off the Uly and onto the DRZ feels like getting on a bicycle. I've used mine for all kinds of stuff from Adventure rides to Copper Canyon, sand dune blasting, technical woods riding, wide open desert riding and everything in between. I currently have approx 10,200 mi on mine and it still runs strong. This bike is the Honda Civic of dual sports in that there are so many mods you can do to it if you want. If you click on my bike in my signature below you can see all of the mods of done to mine. Not that most of them were necessary, but rather that I liked the bike so much I wanted to make it the best I could.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
fujian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Differences Over The Years

It would be awesome to see a spec sheet, or home made graph of the exact changes from when the first DRZ came out in 2000 to current models now in 2013. Don't think they changed much but It would be fun to compare year to year.
fujian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
papa-alpha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Looking at DRZ 400S oem parts. They have a K1, K2, K3, K4, and Y models.
Can anyone help me with the difference.

Thanks
papa-alpha is offline   Reply With Quote