Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Chay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Looking for a dual sport replacement! Somewhat new to motorcycles.

Well my beloved XT250 was stolen right off my front porch after riding it for 2500 miles. I wasnt the one who handled the insurance as it was really my dads bike, so no full coverage and we are out a bike. Hopefully i can get a job soon (been looking for 2 months now) and start saving up for a new dual sport. I just dont know enough about motorcycles to know what makes a good bike. If you could please make some reccomendations on what you think a good bike for me would be. To give you some size referances here's me on my 250.

I am around 5ft 11, and 260lbs. I am looking for a bike that can handle minor trails, commuting, and will keep up with my dad's harley on group rides. The cheaper the better. Any ideas?
Chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
That really sucks about your bike getting stolen. What goes around comes around, or I guess we can hope.

Your XT250 seems like it worked A-OK for your needs. If you're looking for something different, consider a Honda CRF250L. Both it and the XT250 are fuel injected now so they start easy and get great mileage. The Honda is cheaper new than the XT250 by a few hundred dollars. If you're looking for something a little more hardcore, consider picking up a used WR250R. You can find good examples with exhaust and fuel programmer mods already done for $4,000.

Best of luck with the job search!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Chay OP
Adventurer

I'm looking for something a little more rear end/highway friendly. I was thinking klr650, but i think it would just be too tall for me. Also room for some sort of baggage would be nice.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 2,036
DR650 - tons of aftermarket stuff available!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
KLR650 shouldn't be too tall for ya, I am 5'8" and it was fine for me.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Chay OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
KLR650 shouldn't be too tall for ya, I am 5'8" and it was fine for me.
You think so? And with my added weight it would sink a bit with the suspension. maybe an old beater KLR would be the way to go. They are good on the highways yeah?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chay View Post
I'm looking for something a little more rear end/highway friendly. I was thinking klr650, but i think it would just be too tall for me. Also room for some sort of baggage would be nice.
KLR isn't too tall for you at all. Good used examples available for $4,000 and less.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Im 5'10 230lbs and had a klr for a few months. I could almost flatfoot it and found it to be really easy to drive. Sounds like a great stepup from the xt. It is a bit heavier and not the best on the highway but what dual sport is? You can find a gen1 for around 2500 in good shape or a gen2 for around 3. If you can find a wr used I'd jump all over it!
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
For your height and weight, a klr650 or a dr650 will be great, i think you are too big for a 250, i know it can be done, but you'd be much better on a bigger bike.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
DR650 and get the suspension sorted for your weight. Set the sag properly after that and off you go.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
You think so? And with my added weight it would sink a bit with the suspension. maybe an old beater KLR would be the way to go. They are good on the highways yeah?

I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam, weigh about 200 and have a 99 KLR.
The bike is tall for me, but I have no problems with it.
I tip toe at stops with both feet, or flat foot on one side.
You should have no problem with a KLR.
KLR 650 and DR 650 would both be good options for you in the used bike market.
Shop around and you'll find good deals on either bike.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #12
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,691
Don't forget, you can buy lowering links fairly cheap and they are easy to install. I ride a DR, my husband rides a KLR, and we each have these links:

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...index&cPath=24

We're off to ride Nova Scotia for the next two weeks and the bikes will be loaded with luggage. Nice to be able to put both feet down!

Sarah
Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 706
Well, sounds like money is a issue. If the XT 250 worked OK for you, just find a XT 350. From '85 on they are all similar. About half the price of a DR or KLR.

Not nearly as capeable for highway speeds as the 650's, but better than the 250.

If money is tight, better to find a nice 350 for half the price of a worn 650.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Well, sounds like money is a issue. If the XT 250 worked OK for you, just find a XT 350. From '85 on they are all similar. About half the price of a DR or KLR.

Not nearly as capeable for highway speeds as the 650's, but better than the 250.

If money is tight, better to find a nice 350 for half the price of a worn 650.
Umm... The XT 350 hasn't been produced since 2000. You're not going to get anything BUT a WORN XT 350.
And I'll even say that the old XT 350 pales in comparison to newer 250 bikes.
Therefore, your advice is bad.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Well my beloved XT250 was stolen right off my front porch after riding it for 2500 miles. I wasnt the one who handled the insurance as it was really my dads bike, so no full coverage and we are out a bike. Hopefully i can get a job soon (been looking for 2 months now) and start saving up for a new dual sport. I just dont know enough about motorcycles to know what makes a good bike. If you could please make some reccomendations on what you think a good bike for me would be. To give you some size referances here's me on my 250.

I am around 5ft 11, and 260lbs. I am looking for a bike that can handle minor trails, commuting, and will keep up with my dad's harley on group rides. The cheaper the better. Any ideas?
'Sorry to hear about the theft. Xena offers an XZA cable and adapter, for their XZZ6L alarmed disc-lock, that can help keep your future bike from being stolen as easily. I use a 15ft cable for my bike, so I can lock it to streetlamps and other large anchors when parking in dodgy places. An inexpensive cover from Target or someplace can help too.

As long as your dad's group is riding anywhere near legal speeds...Used DR650SE is a good do-it-all moto on a budget. It's simple. It doesn't overheat. It doesn't burn oil. Valves are easy to adjust. Aftermarket and used parts are all over. The seat is low. It can be lowered even more pretty easily. It only weighs 367 curb. It can be ridden on the slab while loaded, or ridden like a dirtbike on trails. I've seen them go for as low as $1000 in running condition. $2000-$3500 is more common though.

Read the DR650 wikia about common issues/mods. Add some armor (skid, real handguards, and maybe case guards), set up the suspension for your usage, and uncork it a little. Ride the heck out of it and decide what else you might want to do to it. The aftermarket and the used-parts classifieds can help you build it from mild to wild. A LOT of people don't like the stock seat, but I was fine on it.

Kommando screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 06:01 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote