User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
stew nod OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hello... Looking for info on bike rentals in Spain, France and Italy

I'm doing 3 week trip through those 3 countries...looking to to rent a 800GS for a few days in each country....Ive found several companies, but honestly I dont know who to trust...LOL

Any people with experience in this stuff? I'd appreciate the help
stew nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
VanIsland Rider
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I just returned from Spain yesterday and thanks to the group at IMTBIKE.com we had a 2013 R1200GS for our vacation. They are a very professional group who I would highly recommend. They have multiple locations around Spain.
Last year in Italy we rented a R1200GS from CIMT.it also a great company to use with locations in Milano, Pisa, and Roma.
Next year we are planing to rent again from IMTbike.com in Barcelona and travel up the coast of France back to Italy over a three to four week period.
One suggestion, make sure to have a GPS with updated maps, it will simplify navigation greatly.
Hope this helps, have a great trip.
Bryan

2004 R1200GS (yes there really is such a bike)
VanIsland Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
stew nod OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsland Rider View Post
I just returned from Spain yesterday and thanks to the group at IMTBIKE.com we had a 2013 R1200GS for our vacation. They are a very professional group who I would highly recommend. They have multiple locations around Spain.
Last year in Italy we rented a R1200GS from CIMT.it also a great company to use with locations in Milano, Pisa, and Roma.
Next year we are planing to rent again from IMTbike.com in Barcelona and travel up the coast of France back to Italy over a three to four week period.
One suggestion, make sure to have a GPS with updated maps, it will simplify navigation greatly.
Hope this helps, have a great trip.
Bryan
Thanks for the reply, I was beggining to think I posted the question in the wrong forum, lol

I have found IMT in my research and they do seem credible.

2 questions about them:

1, it says on their website that they dont rent helmets? That's really odd...what did you do? Buy one? Seems like a waste

2, is it possible to rent a bike in one city, then drop it off in another? Or do they have to be returned to the same branch? For example, it would be really nice if I could rent in Barcelona, then drop it off after a couple day in Bilbao. Then when I'm ready to move on, do this again, from each city to another. It seems like a hassle to worry about locking up and protecting the bike if I'm staying in a city for 3 or 4 days...also a waste of money...lol

Thanks again for the reply :)
Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
VanIsland Rider
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
IMtBIKE.com

Helmet rental; My wife and I pack all of our riding gear including helmets into a hockey bag for traveling. It is a bit of a cumbersome luggage to take but we have found no problems. I wouldn't want to wear some dirty, sweaty used helmet anyway, it has been very warm for our summer trips, >30 C.

Rental drop off; yes it's possible to rent from one city and drop off in another but I believe that you have to make those arrangements during the initial booking. Check out the FAQ section of their web site.

A friend of mine has used this company multiple times and has had the same professional, helpful experience that I have. I am more than happy to recommend this company

All the best,
Bryan

2004 R1200GS (yes there really is such a bike)
VanIsland Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
stew nod OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsland Rider View Post
Helmet rental; My wife and I pack all of our riding gear including helmets into a hockey bag for traveling. It is a bit of a cumbersome luggage to take but we have found no problems. I wouldn't want to wear some dirty, sweaty used helmet anyway, it has been very warm for our summer trips, >30 C.

Rental drop off; yes it's possible to rent from one city and drop off in another but I believe that you have to make those arrangements during the initial booking. Check out the FAQ section of their web site.

A friend of mine has used this company multiple times and has had the same professional, helpful experience that I have. I am more than happy to recommend this company

All the best,
Bryan

Darn, everything seems perfect except the helmet deal....Thanks for the response Van Island. I may have to buy a helmet over there...uhhg. I'm doing a solo backpack trip...I wonder if they'd let me on the plane with a helmet tied to my backpack
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
BiancoBlu in Milano - Renato has always done well for me.

I shipped one of my bikes over a few years ago and no longer rent - MUCH cheaper.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew nod View Post
...I wonder if they'd let me on the plane with a helmet tied to my backpack
I ALWAYS carry mine on board. No way that I'm going to let the baggage guys play football with it.

I have a soft helmet bag and use the space inside the helmet for gloves and similar bits.

Pack your own kit, if possible. You'll know that it fits and works for you. If you're backpacking, you can always ship the bike gear back home after the riding part.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote