User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
iphorde OP
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
Honest Review of TKC-80's

Okay, so I read all of the hype and put the TKC's on my BMW F800GS and ran them. I'm getting ready for TAT and took the frickin tires right off.

I burned through this set of tires in about 600 miles and it appears to have weather cracks around the base of the knobbies on the rear tire. Tires are 3 months old.

The tires absolutely suck in mud and on blacktop when it is wet. I will not be putting another set of them on my bike. They grip fine on hard packed dirt, don't have a large enough knobby for silt or sand, and seem good on pavement.

Who ever says these tires are great doesn't twist very hard and probably trolls along at about 20 miles an hour. If you ride your bike hard stay away from these things.

I have been meaning to post about this, but just remembered.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,666
Any thoughts on the next set of tires for the F8GS?
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
iphorde OP
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
TKC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
Any thoughts on the next set of tires for the F8GS?
I just put a set of Karoo T's on it. It flat out sucks we have such a limited set of tires to choose from. I will let ya know how these tires hold up after TAT. I leave on friday.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,107
Not a fan of the TKC's either. On my KTM I can burn through a rear easily in 700 to 1000 miles. If I really try and take it easy on the tire, I can get about 1500 out of it. If I am full on thrashing it, its toasted in 500 miles. Besides that, the TKC doesnt do anything very well.

So far the longest lasting knobby on the big KTM has been the 908 RR. I can get almost 2000 miles out of a rear. If I take it easy, real easy it will almost last 3000 miles until the center knobs are gone.

the Michelin Desert is my favorite rear tire on the big bike, but they dont last long, maybe 1000 miles. However they do have good road manners for a knobby and off road they hook up better than the 908.

Maybe consider a wheel for your GS that will give you some more tire choices, it might be money well spent.

Of course YMMV

Disclaimer: I ride mostly off road or jeep two track so I tend to be pretty hard on tires, thats why they dont last very long for me, just like dirt bike tires.

Edit: Man just saw that you have quite a few bikes. Nice! That Aprilla must be just insane to ride.

crashmaster screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 12:54 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Soberman001
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde
I just put a set of Karoo T's on it. It flat out sucks we have such a limited set of tires to choose from. I will let ya know how these tires hold up after TAT. I leave on friday.
If you think TKC wear out quick, you will really find the Karoo's disappointing. They are also worse on slab rides, but better in the dirt.

Nobody has found the "perfect" tire for on and off road. The best you can hope for is to find the lesser of all evils for your GS.
Soberman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
If you thought the TKCs were soft, just count the hours before the Karoos melt like movie theatre popcorn butter.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,597
Quote:
Okay, so I read all of the hype and put the TKC's on my BMW F800GS and ran them. I'm getting ready for TAT and took the frickin tires right off.

I burned through this set of tires in about 600 miles and it appears to have weather cracks around the base of the knobbies on the rear tire. Tires are 3 months old.

The tires absolutely suck in mud and on blacktop when it is wet. I will not be putting another set of them on my bike. They grip fine on hard packed dirt, don't have a large enough knobby for silt or sand, and seem good on pavement.

Who ever says these tires are great doesn't twist very hard and probably trolls along at about 20 miles an hour. If you ride your bike hard stay away from these things.

I have been meaning to post about this, but just remembered.
Wow. How do you really feel?

My experiences have been the exact opposite. I get at least 5000 miles on a rear TKC 80, and 5000-10,000 on the front tire. I used TKCs from Panama to Tierra del Fuego, on all kinds of roads and rumors of roads, and they never failed me. I had a 1/4 inch bolt through the rear and it didn't lose an ounce of air. I plugged it and rode it another 3000 miles. I have no problem with cornering- I'll drag a foot peg before I run out of tire. I like them on wet, dry, smooth, rough- everything from pavement to sand, stones, mud. I run with a tube in the front tire, and tubeless in the rear. I have no particular reason for doing this- it's just what I do.

I've also used metzlers and michelins. The anakees wore as fast as the TKCs but without the off-road capabilite. The metzlers last an awful long time but they're for shite in the shit. For mostly road and easy dirt/gravel, I like the metzler rear/tkc front. I'm planning on part of the TAT this summer, and I'll stick to the TKCs, front and rear.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I once heard someone say:

"TKC's start their life as a half-worn knobby, and then it's all downhill from there."

Oh wait. That was me.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
The Yeti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
So, what could explain bananman's wildy varying experience from iphorde's?? Surely more throttle can't explain it all....

Dakota Dual Sport Riders
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Throttle and terrain is my guess. It doesnt take much hooliganism to spin the knobs off a tire in off road (not dirt road) conditions.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
If you thought the TKCs were soft, just count the hours before the Karoos melt like movie theatre popcorn butter.

I rolled the Karoo T's across the floor to load them in the truck to go get them mounted... lost 3mm of tread.

I usually get 6-7k out of a front TKC for my GS. I barely got 3k out of a front Karoo T. Glad I didn't use the rear... I hear they run out faster than the TKC.

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
So, what could explain bananman's wildy varying experience from iphorde's?? Surely more throttle can't explain it all....
I have the same experience as bananman, the TKC's have worked really well for me for in Alaska. This includes 60-80 mph all day highway runs and dirt road runs at stoopid speeds. I usually get about 4500-5000 miles from a rear and 7000-8000 from a front.

I guess some folks could tear up an anvil and bitch about it...
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,652
TKC's are ok, but they are what they are. They're just like a BMW GS. They are expensive, but only middling-good at everything. They truly suck when conditions get demanding (on road, off-road, weather, mileage, whatever).

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakfrank
I guess some folks could tear up an anvil and bitch about it...
Well, maybe true. I tear shit up and accept it. On dirt bikes, its a big deal to get even 1000 miles out of a very hard compound rear tire and that's being nice to it.

FWIW, with a 500 lb. 100 hp "dirt" bike, I'm happy to get even 500 miles out of a rear tire. But, some do better than others. The TKC doesnt do anything well and it doesnt last very long. There are much better tires for the on/off road task IMO.

For street and dirt, I'll take a Michelin Desert over a TKC any day of the week. But, it will only last 1000 miles as well. Pick your poison.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Well, maybe true. I tear shit up and accept it. On dirt bikes, its a big deal to get even 1000 miles out of a very hard compound rear tire and that's being nice to it.

FWIW, with a 500 lb. 100 hp "dirt" bike, I'm happy to get even 500 miles out of a rear tire. But, some do better than others. The TKC doesnt do anything well and it doesnt last very long. There are much better tires for the on/off road task IMO.

For street and dirt, I'll take a Michelin Desert over a TKC any day of the week. But, it will only last 1000 miles as well. Pick your poison.
I'm not hard on my tires and that prolly why TKC's work well for me on my 1150.

I do eat tires on my DRZ but that's mostly due to the sharp rocks we have on the trails here in Kodiak.

I guess it's the price we pay for the games we play.
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote