ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
bigdog1807 OP
Miles Craven
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Loveland, CO
Oddometer: 135
What's a good off road boot?

Trying to find a good off road motorcycle boot in size 14. Reason it's so hard to find is no one stocks a 14, let alone several to compare. Just ordered the AXO Dart and it's a bit narrow in forefoot and tight at the ankle. I don't have wide feet at all and I don't want cramped toes. Asking for suggestions.
bigdog1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Air2Spare
KLR & Versys
 
Air2Spare's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 93
Love my boots...

I wear a Gaerne SG-10 in size 14 (I stand 6'6" tall).
Very pricey, but you can find deals online.
Key factors for me were protection and comfort, price was least important.

These are more full motocross boots rather than touring style,... however, I rode over 8K miles in them last year and couldn't have been more comfortable.

In Nov, I broke my left leg right in the middle of the boot. Broke my Tibia (shin bone) right in half in the middle of a National Forrest area. The bike fell over at low speed on a trail and my leg got caught under. After the break, I stood up on it... then fell to the ground in pain.

It was three and a half hours till workers got to me and helped me to the ER (the trip included a heli ride).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...614351&page=42

Based on the way I fell, no boot would have kept the break from happening. I believe that if it wasn't for my boot, I would have turned my fracture into a compound fracture (by standing on it @ 215lbs) and could have easily lost my leg in the delay to ER. Meaning, the fiberglass outer frame acted as a splint to support my weight and keep the bone aligned after the injury.

That's my story, I love my boot. (I don't care too much for my rod, plate, and 10 screws, but am glad I'm walking again and almost back to normal.)

Future off-road boots (for me) will include an outer fiberglass frame (like my SG-10's) that can act as a splint if damage occurs.

Air2Spare screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 09:54 PM
Air2Spare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
bigdog1807 OP
Miles Craven
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Loveland, CO
Oddometer: 135
Ouch. I've been selling and watching the implants holding your tibia together used in surgery for over 17 years so I know how protection matters. Thanks for input. Currently my issue is finding the boot that isn't crushing my toes or pinching at the ankles with medium thin socks on. Normally I wear the motocross type socks that are extra thick. I also see many people who, later in life, have major bunion issues and other deformities that require surgery. That's no picnic either I hear.
bigdog1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Bend, Oregon
Oddometer: 368
I'm also 6'6" with 14's.

I wear the Gaerne SG-12's but the 10's are very nice also.

My Gaerne's are actually 13's they seem to run quite a bit larger than nike shoes. I wear 14's in nikes, with not much room to spare.

very comfortable boots, wore them every day all day for 2 weeks last year on a trip.
__________________
2014 KTM 500 EXC
2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro
KTM450SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
tomandreann
Adventurer
 
tomandreann's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: The Last Frontier
Oddometer: 25
SG-10 follow up

How are you guys liking the SG-10s? I am considering getting them from Atomic Moto
__________________
Tom and ReAnn
Eagle River, AK
'07 KLR650 (his)
'09 DRZ-400 (hers)
tomandreann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1807 View Post
Trying to find a good off road motorcycle boot in size 14. Reason it's so hard to find is no one stocks a 14, let alone several to compare. Just ordered the AXO Dart and it's a bit narrow in forefoot and tight at the ankle. I don't have wide feet at all and I don't want cramped toes. Asking for suggestions.

Probably be easier to ask what boots are bad off road boots. Almost all of them are good. Best bet is to get to a shop and try them on to see what fits. best. Know what they sell for on-line and I bet you can get the same price in the shop if you mention it.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
bigborett
Adventurer
 
bigborett's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Narre Warren Victoria
Oddometer: 81
Just bought a set of Sidi Crossfire2's. Seem good, have only ridden in them once but comfortable.
I have quite a wide foot and could not even get some of the current crop of boots on. My foot would not get past the ankle padding.
Sidi have always had a good name, should have got them years ago.
bigborett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doug Matson's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Torrance, Ca.
Oddometer: 1,937
I just bought a set of Sidi Adventure Gortex boots for dual sporting, they had all the Sidi and many more where I got them. I used Biker Land in Germany look them up on the web great prices. The boots I got are $550 at RevZilla, Biker Land they were $312 shipped to my door in about 4 days. You can't beat the prices!
__________________
04' 950 Adventure
03' 450 EXC
05' K1200 LT
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Scro
Bi-curious
 
Scro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Oddometer: 155
Biker Land

Prices may get much better in a couple of weeks if Greek elections go as expected on Jan 25th. Lots of turmoil for the Euro.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
I just bought a set of Sidi Adventure Gortex boots for dual sporting, they had all the Sidi and many more where I got them. I used Biker Land in Germany look them up on the web great prices. The boots I got are $550 at RevZilla, Biker Land they were $312 shipped to my door in about 4 days. You can't beat the prices!
__________________
I like Gold and Silver!

...if time is money, then borrowed money is borrowed time.
Scro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:41 AM   #10
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yooper_Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Da UP, eh! (Marquette, MI)
Oddometer: 2,771
Fox Racing Comp 5 boots are available in sizes up to 15.

I currently wear a pair....comfy, and good protection.

Only weakness, is they are not very waterproof.
__________________
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
coyote223
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborett View Post
Just bought a set of Sidi Crossfire2's. Seem good, have only ridden in them once but comfortable.
I have quite a wide foot and could not even get some of the current crop of boots on. My foot would not get past the ankle padding.
Sidi have always had a good name, should have got them years ago.
How's that work? Every thread I've seen state's the Sidi's are too narrow for wide feet.
coyote223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
Captain Obvious
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: The Pittsburgh/Detroit of the Plains
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Probably be easier to ask what boots are bad off road boots. Almost all of them are good.
I think if you went to a forum that is more single-track trail or MX biased you'd find your take to be an outlier of opinion.

If you just want something that looks like a dirt boot, covers up your foot and calf, and works fine for riding along dirt roads, your comment is totally reasonable. If you need a boot for protection and stability it's not so much.

If there is one area of off road motorcycle gear where the whole "get what you pay for" mantra is actually factual, then it has to be in the boot realm. You can practically roll up a cheap pair of off road boots by their heels and stuff them into a compression sack. You're not doing that with the top end stuff from Gaerne, Sidi, or Alpinestars.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 8,799
I think if you consult the emergency rooms you'd find I'm pretty much right. Even the $100 boot will provide excellent protection minimizing or preventing injury to feet/ankles/shins/fibula/tibia. They will cover a huge majority of possible injuries, possibly not some fringe injuries, like when your BMW cylinder traps your foot against a rock... but would even the high buck one do it?

I was wearing old leather HiPoints, when I cracked the fibula at my ankle. It twisted when the bike fell with my foot under the back at the seat/number plate area. I asked and the orthopedic physician said he didn't know if a pair with stiffer, more protective ankle/leg armor would have prevented the injury (the fracture was caused by rotation of my foot/leg), but he did know if I didn't have those boots on that we'd be talking operation instead of putting on a cast.

You can get a pair of $100 boots that offer some exellent protection and a lot of riders will vouch for that in reviews. More and more, off road boots are getting to be like helmets. Even the low buck ones provide good protection. When I've been perusing and trying on some of the boots over at Iron Pony the protective features are pretty darn obvious in all of them. From there it is creature comforts and maybe ventilation for some racers, or flexibility for trials or dual sport riders.

Those single track and MX forums will - just like an adventure bike or helmet thread - have a tendency to downplay lower priced product and play up the more expensive upscale product. It becomes a bit more about conspicuous consumption.

You will find riders blaming injury on any number of things relating to lower cost product. But they honestly don't know if a "better" pair would actually prevent the injury or not. My orthopedist didn't know, how would I. It's like steel toes, there is a point where they won't work. My brother-in-law lost toes due to the steel cap cutting them off, versus being crushed without the steel toes. Would he have lost them if they'd only been crushed? Who knows. Not to say that steel toe caps are bad, just to say you cannot judge what might have happened without actual experience.

Then there is the fact that a thread like this will get nearly as many boot names as boots produced.

The only good take away from this thread is to go out, look at expensive boot features, try the boots on, find what fits well and how they feel. Then go look/try on boots that fall in an affordable price range, find the pair that offer the best features and best fit. Buy them. After all, even the worst offer more protection than a pair of work boots and may be the difference between a cast and an operation.

In a side note, I picked up a pair of AlpineStar Tech 6 boots that were in near new condition for $150. If a rider tries on some high buck boots and knows what size they need for a brand/model they may be able to score a clean good pair from a rider who buys new or has sponsorship that allows them to sell off every season.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,353
Happy with my sidi chargers. As always, fit is one of the most important considerations and Brian at Atomic Moto is your man.
The chargers fit my narrow foot exceptionally well. They're referred to as crossfire lights in many reviews.
__________________
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
Captain Obvious
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: The Pittsburgh/Detroit of the Plains
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
I think if you consult the emergency rooms you'd find I'm pretty much right. Even the $100 boot will provide excellent protection minimizing or preventing injury to feet/ankles/shins/fibula/tibia. They will cover a huge majority of possible injuries, possibly not some fringe injuries, like when your BMW cylinder traps your foot against a rock... but would even the high buck one do it?

I was wearing old leather HiPoints, when I cracked the fibula at my ankle. It twisted when the bike fell with my foot under the back at the seat/number plate area. I asked and the orthopedic physician said he didn't know if a pair with stiffer, more protective ankle/leg armor would have prevented the injury (the fracture was caused by rotation of my foot/leg), but he did know if I didn't have those boots on that we'd be talking operation instead of putting on a cast.

You can get a pair of $100 boots that offer some exellent protection and a lot of riders will vouch for that in reviews. More and more, off road boots are getting to be like helmets. Even the low buck ones provide good protection. When I've been perusing and trying on some of the boots over at Iron Pony the protective features are pretty darn obvious in all of them. From there it is creature comforts and maybe ventilation for some racers, or flexibility for trials or dual sport riders.

Those single track and MX forums will - just like an adventure bike or helmet thread - have a tendency to downplay lower priced product and play up the more expensive upscale product. It becomes a bit more about conspicuous consumption.

You will find riders blaming injury on any number of things relating to lower cost product. But they honestly don't know if a "better" pair would actually prevent the injury or not. My orthopedist didn't know, how would I. It's like steel toes, there is a point where they won't work. My brother-in-law lost toes due to the steel cap cutting them off, versus being crushed without the steel toes. Would he have lost them if they'd only been crushed? Who knows. Not to say that steel toe caps are bad, just to say you cannot judge what might have happened without actual experience.

Then there is the fact that a thread like this will get nearly as many boot names as boots produced.

The only good take away from this thread is to go out, look at expensive boot features, try the boots on, find what fits well and how they feel. Then go look/try on boots that fall in an affordable price range, find the pair that offer the best features and best fit. Buy them. After all, even the worst offer more protection than a pair of work boots and may be the difference between a cast and an operation.

In a side note, I picked up a pair of AlpineStar Tech 6 boots that were in near new condition for $150. If a rider tries on some high buck boots and knows what size they need for a brand/model they may be able to score a clean good pair from a rider who buys new or has sponsorship that allows them to sell off every season.
So all those heavy, fancy-schmancy exoskeletons you see on the high dollar boots do nothing to further the cause of injury prevention? I mean that is generally the primary difference between low price boots and high price boots. The former are essentially a set of really tall, bulky lineman boots; the latter have a lot in common with modern ski boots. Aren't ski boots designed to lock up your ankle except for one plane of movement, much like the thrust of upper end off road boots?

Your physician is not a physicist or an engineer, and the injury you had might be the only injury of its type he/she will ever see (not that many people out there blowing up lower extremities on an off road bike, per capita). Further, they are trained to repair damage already present, not to design systems to prevent the injury in the first place. Their opinion is certainly and obviously of greater use than Joe Blow off the street, but anytime someone's take is based on sample size=1 it will be of very little utility. It is essentially an educated guess.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015