User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Domiken OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Airbag vest/product discussion

Hey all, Spring is finally here in the northeast, and its time for some street riding along with planning for track days. As I'm planning my schedule for the track, a great friend of mine rode down to North Carolina this weekend to try out NCBike, and some careless rider asspacked him at the end of the straight and he went down and broke his collar bone.

While a collar bone injury is very common in motorcycle related injuries, I have started looking into preventative methods, and the only gear other than a neck style brace is an airbag suit (MotoGP has been using them for a long time now). While I won't be dropping $2500-$5000 on a new track airbag suit anytime soon, I've been considering the following:

SPIDI DPS AIR BAG VEST

Sportbiketrackgear did a great review on it
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6890

It looks great because its made out of mesh (black one it anyway), could be worn over a track suit or street riding jacket, comes with a chest protector, can be reused if not damaged and its cheaper than the other alternatives.

Anyone own one or have experience with this particular product or anything similar to it?

(btw I am not affiliated with any of these companies)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I have the HitAir vest. As I understand its the same exact concept, a rip cord attached to the bike, and connected tot he CO valve. You get thrown off, rip cord yanks and opens the valve, that in turn inflates the vest.

I see that this only offers the neck protection. I like HitAir more, since it gives you neck, back, chest, kidney and tail bone protection. Can't ask for more.

I think its a great piece of kit, and been riding in one for a couple of years now.

Unfortunately mine blocks quite a bit of an airflow, since its all cordura. But other than that, I think its great. Didn't get to crash test it fortunately.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Domiken OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I have the HitAir vest. As I understand its the same exact concept, a rip cord attached to the bike, and connected tot he CO valve. You get thrown off, rip cord yanks and opens the valve, that in turn inflates the vest.

I see that this only offers the neck protection. I like HitAir more, since it gives you neck, back, chest, kidney and tail bone protection. Can't ask for more.

I think its a great piece of kit, and been riding in one for a couple of years now.

Unfortunately mine blocks quite a bit of an airflow, since its all cordura. But other than that, I think its great. Didn't get to crash test it fortunately.
Thanks for sharing your feedback, I have looked at the HitAir, unfortunately for my application it wont work as I have a track hump on my leathers. Does your HitAir have a zipper to make the back bigger? I don't see it on their website.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
It has a belt at the bottom (bottom snap) which is adjustable for tightness.
Not sure what you mean for the zipper and making the back bigger. You can't really adjust the vest in any way, other than that lower belt, which just adjust how tight it sits on you.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Domiken OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
It has a belt at the bottom (bottom snap) which is adjustable for tightness.
Not sure what you mean for the zipper and making the back bigger. You can't really adjust the vest in any way, other than that lower belt, which just adjust how tight it sits on you.
Got it, thanks for posting.

What I meant is, most track leathers have a hump, so if you were to wear a vest with track leathers, the regular vest would ride up. The Spidi one has a zipper that opens up on the back to expand the top rear of the vest exactly where the hump is.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 860
I'm ready to buy a HitAir vest today, but I'm not sure what size to get. Can anyone out there who's used them tell me what size they have, how it fits and what their normal moto jacket size is?

They have a sizing chart, but its not clear if the dims are meant to be your body dimensions or your outer dimensions wearing a motorcycle jacket. I wear a size 42 or 44 suit....wear size large motorcycle jackets...so I wonder if I need a large or XL.

Thanks!
GSDonovan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Domiken OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
I'm ready to buy a HitAir vest today, but I'm not sure what size to get. Can anyone out there who's used them tell me what size they have, how it fits and what their normal moto jacket size is?

They have a sizing chart, but its not clear if the dims are meant to be your body dimensions or your outer dimensions wearing a motorcycle jacket. I wear a size 42 or 44 suit....wear size large motorcycle jackets...so I wonder if I need a large or XL.

Thanks!
I've been e-mailing back and forth with the owner from Hit Air, it seems my thoughts were wrong, they do have a track day vest.

Shoot him an email, he replied quickly and is an avid track day rider/street guy. admin@safermoto.com

I'm still deciding on which way to go.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
GSDonovan
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
I've been e-mailing back and forth with the owner from Hit Air, it seems my thoughts were wrong, they do have a track day vest.

Shoot him an email, he replied quickly and is an avid track day rider/street guy. admin@safermoto.com

I'm still deciding on which way to go.
Ha, yup, I emailed them immediately after I made my post above...he responded right away, but just wanted to know specifically which model I was interested in. Haven't heard back yet after I responded. Its odd he asked that as their sizing chart is the same for all the vests. I like the MC3 vest...its black, has good coverage compared to some of the others shown, AND its mesh...I don't want it blocking wind anymore than it has to.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
GSDonovan
There and back again

Based on Alan's (of HitAir) recommendations, I went with an XL given my aforementioned dimensions. As expected, I'm free to return it unused with tags within two weeks for a free exchange with a different size if it doesn't fit. I can't wait to get it...I'll post up a review on this thread once I've had a chance to wear it on the bike. It will be nice, at least psychologically, to have the added protection without crampin' my style too much on the bike.

Oh, and the price was $367 shipped to RI from Nevada. Compared to the alternatives, it seems like a great value. It was the model MC3, black mesh vest type.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Domiken OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Based on Alan's (of HitAir) recommendations, I went with an XL given my aforementioned dimensions. As expected, I'm free to return it unused with tags within two weeks for a free exchange with a different size if it doesn't fit. I can't wait to get it...I'll post up a review on this thread once I've had a chance to wear it on the bike. It will be nice, at least psychologically, to have the added protection without crampin' my style too much on the bike.

Oh, and the price was $367 shipped to RI from Nevada. Compared to the alternatives, it seems like a great value. It was the model MC3, black mesh vest type.
Awesome man, that is great to hear, let us know how it works out and post up some pics once you get it.

I went the other route, all I wanted was neck and shoulder protection, I asked Alan about the price for the neck vest, but hasn't gotten back to me yet, at the same time I got an amazing offer through a vendor I know quite well for the SPIDI vest (unbelievable price), so I went with the SPIDI (same tech from Hit-Air). While I wanted to support his company, the early bird gets the worm. Ill check back on here once I get it. I'm glad I get the chest protection as well which I was going to buy separately.

I have two other friends waiting to buy, they are also undecided and waiting to see my vest before placing an order. My friend that broke his collar bone is out for the season (clavicle broke in 5 pieces, has 12 screws and a metal rod), if he were to ride and crash again it could kill him so hes out for the season unfortunately (6 month recovery). Will an airbag vest have helped in his injurt? Who knows, but id rather be wearing one that not.

Domiken screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 11:36 AM
Domiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
GSDonovan
There and back again

The vest I ordered turned out to be out of stock (3 weeks to get it from Japan), so I ordered a different, lighter version. As it turns out, with the exception of the "neck/shoulder" air vests, all of the vests have the same amount of airbag coverage. That being the case, then I prefer the one I'm getting now instead (forget the model number) as its smaller...has less material to block cooling airflow in the summer. It cost $389, so its a little bit more than what I was going to pay for the other. Anyway, I'll report back when I get it. SaferMoto's website has a bunch of poorly made videos showing you how it works...looks like it works great...simple and easy.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
Domiken OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The vest I ordered turned out to be out of stock (3 weeks to get it from Japan), so I ordered a different, lighter version. As it turns out, with the exception of the "neck/shoulder" air vests, all of the vests have the same amount of airbag coverage. That being the case, then I prefer the one I'm getting now instead (forget the model number) as its smaller...has less material to block cooling airflow in the summer. It cost $389, so its a little bit more than what I was going to pay for the other. Anyway, I'll report back when I get it. SaferMoto's website has a bunch of poorly made videos showing you how it works...looks like it works great...simple and easy.
Sounds good, surprisingly there are some amazing threads on those products here on ADVRider I missed most of them as they didnt pop up on the search under airbag, but if you search under "safermoto" youll see all the great reviews on what you just ordered, definitely a great product.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Valentino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Thumb

I've recently got a Spidi DPS airbag jacket. Although I haven't tested it in anger, I'm delighted with the excellent build quality of my Spidi DPS jacket

Mine is the Venture DPS jacket, not the vest. However, it's got exactly the same airbag system and armour as the DPS vest. I'm very impressed and reassured by the high quality and attention to detail of the Spidi Venture DPS jacket: top notch

I was in two minds about which airbag to choose. Hit-Air and the D-Air systems have more torso protection, but only limited neck protection. Whereas Spidi's DPS airbag has more secure neck protection. In the end I plumbed for the Spidi DPS system, because I liked the Venture DPS jacket a lot; it's a brilliant jacket Plus I couldn't afford the D-Air system.

Fitting the airbag tether to my bike was very easy, even for a simpleton like me. Clipping in only takes the briefest moment. It's very quick and easy. All in all, the Spidi DPS system is a doddle to use.

The chest armour is ventilated and surprisingly comfortable, as is the back armour. The only downside is that my jacket only came fitted with a Level 1 back protector as standard. However, it looks like a Forcefield Pro Back Insert 002 fits the Spidi Venture jacket, which will upgrade protection to Level 2.

Feel free to ask any questions about my Spidi airbag.

Valentino screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 02:29 PM
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 627
I have the hit-air model from safermoto. over 2 years

a few factors to consider would include:

1)activation time /distance - all cable actuated system has a delay- i cant see how, even with shortest length practically possible, it would be anything less than 40cm - that's half of length from sitting position to front of the bike. Electronic sensor activation is a distinct advantage

2) deployment time - obviously the shorter the better - traveling at 36km/hr (22mph), 100ms = 1 metre already!; at 72km/hr or 44mph - 100ms= 2metres.

3) coverage - is shoulder /neck enough, or do you prefer back, ribs/chest and side?

There are a number of manufacturers currently on the market that i know of - please feel free to add:

Hit-air: most established and for its vest, probably the cheapest, offers very good overall coverage but their deployment speed (claimed 250ms) is not with the best anymore;

Spidi: Great neck/shoulder coverage only - deployment speed (claimed 200ms) is only a little better than Hit-air;

MotoAir: (claimed 85ms) deployment speed is probably the fastest of all mechanical system- but effective coverage is really to the back of head and back - no effective neck coverage.

Helite: (claimed 100ms) deployment time is marginally longer than MotoAir but its coverage is about equal best with Hir-Air

Dainese D Air Street (claimed 45ms - including activation time) - electronic sensor and the best - but a lot $$$, including sensor - we are talking close to $2k. But for the price the system would fully inflate by the time your head pass the front of front wheel, if you were to hit a brick wall at 72km/hr - the closest competitor to achieve that result would require the impact speed to be around 36km/hr!

AceRider01 screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 10:26 PM
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
GSDonovan
There and back again

Good info...I doubt an airbag is going to save you if you hit a brick wall (or tractor trailer truck) head on at high speed, so maybe that level of high speed deployment is sort of academic. I think the (relatively) slower deployment speed of the Hit Air will suffice for the more likely crash scenario of losing traction or hitting something at an angle and being ejected off the bike. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.