Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Ruptured mine playing basketball. After surgery and rehab, it took about six months to stand on my tippy-toes. When you can do that, consider yourself ready to resume normal activity. One interesting side-note is how much your bad leg's calf muscle atrophies. Ten years later, you can still see the difference. ,BK
Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,754
Complete rupture or partial?

I did my left one (complete) about 7 years ago doing flips into a pool off a concrete deck...guess what? Concrete doesn't give when you bounce off it!

Surgery was the only option for me. I had zero pain before or after. Doc didn't like my attitude so he put me in a hard cast for 6 weeks then a boot for 6 more. I cut the lock on the boot adjustment the day I got it and immediately started stretching....very gently...to get range of motion back. By week 3 I had 100% motion back and didn't have to do any PT. I was back on sleds and bikes at 14 weeks, but babied it for another 6 months.

Just did something to my right leg a month ago...sounded like a pop...hurts a bit walking uphill. Sucks to get old.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
WAH III
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I peeled the back of my heel off in a mini bike accident when I was a kid. Sliced the left achilles almost all the way in two. Took forever to heal up. I would caution you about getting on the bike too soon. This is a slow recovery, unlike a bone or muscle. Riding won't be a problem, but moving the bike around in netural or supporting your weight and that of a leaning bike could cause re-injury, especially if you get into an unexpected situation. Consider focusing on healing this season with the ultimate goal of getting back to 100%. You will get there, Good luck.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Complete rupture or partial?
Surgery was the only option for me. I had zero pain before or after. Doc didn't like my attitude so he put me in a hard cast for 6 weeks then a boot for 6 more.
Full rupture. No surgery.

I didn't like my docs attitude so I switched.

Actually I first saw a surgeon. Surgery had to be postponed a couple of weeks and when we could do it, it was no longer needed. He might have been a great surgeon, but he didn't seem like the guy to manage/monitor a non-surgical recovery. Fortunately I found someone who was.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Full rupture. No surgery.

I didn't like my docs attitude so I switched.

Actually I first saw a surgeon. Surgery had to be postponed a couple of weeks and when we could do it, it was no longer needed. He might have been a great surgeon, but he didn't seem like the guy to manage/monitor a non-surgical recovery. Fortunately I found someone who was.
I should clarify....I was told by 2 ortho docs that you can have a non surgical repair on a full rupture, but that the re-rupture rate was upwards of 80% over time. They both said a well done surgical repair would make the tendon as strong or stronger than new. Everything I read online confirmed this and I didn't want to risk it. I think I was 41 at the time so maybe my age factored into it.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
I think I was 41 at the time so maybe my age factored into it.
I was older. And the non-surgical recovery protocols and sucess stats have changed. Can't tell you if it's as good as surgery now. Recovery times are close.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I was older. And the non-surgical recovery protocols and sucess stats have changed. Can't tell you if it's as good as surgery now. Recovery times are close.
Good to know. I'm sure I'll screw the other one up at some point!

http://www.prolotherapy.com/Lazzara_...erapy_2007.pdf

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 06:07 PM
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,661
Warning, Gore

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...0207111921.jpg

Got hit by a car when I first started riding... I made a newb mistake and wasn't wearing proper gear. I have since learned my lesson. ATGATT.

Anyway... It took me about a year to start riding again.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
warning, gore

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...0207111921.jpg

got hit by a car when i first started riding... I made a newb mistake and wasn't wearing proper gear. I have since learned my lesson. Atgatt.

Anyway... It took me about a year to start riding again.

o u c h ! ! !

- Otto von Bismarck

<><