User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,335
MoBill's DR650SE build....

So, I sold the WR250R, definitely an "Anywhere" bike. I'm a little concerned that I'll want "anywhere" and end up with "somewhere"

BUT, I'm OK with the difference. I wanted a more serious DS bike than my DL650 commuter--but with some more "there" there.when you give that throttle a twist.

I thought about the KTM 690R--I might be able to afford that--but the price of admission would be coupled with, let's say more robust maintenance requirements put the DR on the radar. Cheap even new--a few grand of upgrades and you're in.

I like this bike a lot already.

Procycle.us upgrades all the way: Their carb performance kit, racetech .60 straight rate springs and the racetech 7.3kg stiffer than stock spring are the major upgrades, along with a FMF Q4. I like quiet.

Ultimate cycle in Richmond, VA

At home and straight to the stand:

Disassembly:

Pro motobillet cargo rack:

Air box mod---incident to the carb re-jet--which I didn't take a picture of--but the rejet is mucho necessidat:

Precursor---Vapor dash layout. During down time, mocking up what's to come:
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Vapor dash and Highway Dirtbikes Dash Protector:

Vapor speedo sensor---I removed the old speedo gear and sub'd a Procycle.us spacer:

That's all just prep for the final reassembly--the shocks, suspension, carb and exhaust are what had my head ticking---here's the final disassembly\, see the D606s mounted in the background:

Loosening collars for the spring replacement, got my 12 year old, Samantha, the Jiu Jitsu spider monkey, to help me with this part---I don't have a vice, or a real table to work on....

Register mark---going to just put the new spring with the same pre-load....thoughts?

Preload collars backed off---thanks guys on the DR650SE thread---I couldn't have done this without you. And thanks to Docking Pilot for being a mind reader--or whatever you'd call it--whatever it is I wanted to do to this bike it seems he'd already thought it through:

New spring:

More interlude....still waiting for the GD front damper tool (spoiler: I got it loose with Distech's hack--and finally actually followed the directions....anyway--interlude--Acerbis tank (which I forgot to mention earlier as a absolute necessity for more range) front signal relocationg brackets:
Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Something else I forgot to mention--a little PUI--the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution--I love 12V power everywhere. GPS, cell phones....sor, here's the harness to run up front---one SAE and the terminus for the powerlet:

Powered the other powerlet off the speedo lamp power:

Handlebar side:

3CS and relay:

The connections that'll power what you saw at the bars:

Reassembled rear wheel, carb, shock:
Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

While I was at it---I eliminated the rear fender. And if ever there was a pause for NOT riding a bike and modding the shit out of it--this is it. Just thought it looked cool, I like to paint shit as well...

Procycle again...I jused the LED licence plate bracket as a template to drill the holes for it:

My paint booth:

Ahhhh...that's better---it won't all hold up--but at least it's muted:

Mounted and with the light lit:

Now for something not so completely different--the rear shock remounted and where I paused last night:

Another foreshadow---of what's coming....love HDB...stellar service. Buy this:

Acerbis---tank mounted, air box, carb, rear shock and tire--and FMF...next up---front springs and drilling the dampers:
Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
panhead_pete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Looks good. Set your sag properly once you are done. Heaps of vids on youtube to show you how. Will those 0.6 springs be a tad too stiff? Amongst the other mods on mine I removed the side stand switch and disabled the clutch lever switch so there are two less things that can go wrong. Yes it will start in gear and on the stand but you soon learn not to do that :)

panhead_pete screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 06:55 PM
panhead_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
I'm watching this one
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
I don't know if you are going with intiminators or emulators but both are great. I love emulators for off road. Fork brace too.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Dillon@ZenMoto
falls down too much

Oddometer: 302
Nice build so far
Old 06-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
carry on

Yo Bill, you're doing all I set out to do right out the gate. Couple of 3/4" square nuts on a piece of all-thread make a good damper rod tool for cheap if you have a hardware store nearby. I'm still riding and poco a poco making the mods. Get that skid plate on right away. The DR smacks rocks with authority. Guess it would help if I'd put on my Ohlin and 7.5 spring, but I keep riding it instead of working on it. The .47 springs and emulators up front are a definite improvement. Gonna try the 14 tooth cs and get the seal retainer on tomorrow. Had to torque out of a steep boulder threading fail today, even made a couple of steep single track switch-backs with the 15 but sometimes slower is easier with so much weight. Hope it's ok if I post a picture on your thread (it's my first attempt) so maybe call it incentive to get that bike rolling.

psmcd screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 10:36 PM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Yo Pete, thanks for that---I have to watch those---haven't yet and it's something I have no idea how to do yet.

Thanks Kubiak, Dillon....Reposado--funny that I don't either really--I'm parking lot puddle deep on this one and bought the spring rate based on what I described to the gent at procycle, will set it up based on the recommendations in the directions. That's about all I've got.

psmcd, post all you like--I've thought about a re-gear...we'll see--I don't anticipate the kind of riding I did on the WR--but I know me, I'll end up there.

Going out to the garage to drill in a few.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Add a Sargent seat! One of the best additions I made to my DR
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,410
At 195 lbs Keintech specc'ed a .50 ft spring,it seems plenty firm and springs do break in and soften up a tad,took a while though.

Im pretty sure putting a Gold Valve in the rear shock on mine and getting the right spring was the best mod I did,we ended up revalving the gold valve twice and it works great now. Race Tech stock valving felt like a supercross settup,kicked and banged up and down even on the freeway,once valved proper it was amazingly mucho better.
Stock shock with just a stiff spring will kick like a mule and overheat badly,there's little to no rebound damping in the stock shock

Its neato to cut the fender off but mud will fly right up and all over anything in it's path,small potatoes.

www.seatconcepts.com can send you a great seat.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,589
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Thanks for the link,handy info.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
By the looks of your tire choice, I like where this is going! PM me when it's finished! I need about a month to get my EXC610 back from Thumper Racing!

Nice work!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote