Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Hey Johnny, I have no legal advice for you, but just wanted to wish you a good recovery. I'm a member of the heavy metal club myself (broken ankle, tibia and fibula). Here's some useful reading to look at while you are sitting around the house, with your leg propped up in the splint, cast, or boot:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742690

http://www.mybrokenleg.com/

Your leg will get better, but make sure you give yourself time to heal.
Thanks, I appreciate the links. I'm reading them now.
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
If you have Minnesota insurance, you're probably OK for your medical expenses. Otherwise tell the hospital that you require charity care. Liability coverage would pay your bills from her insurance (but she has none), or her bills from your insurance. This Minnesota insurance link shows the minimum coverage you probably have:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/for...uranceinfo.pdf

When sign up on the new health insurance exchanges becomes available in October, be sure to sign up for coverage in 2014. Low income people will get a good subsidy.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Locks View Post
I had just gone about 20 blocks down to the moto shop to pick up some oil.
That was your first mistake, I bet there was an auto parts store with a gallon jug of Rotella closer. Just kidding

I wish you a speedy recovery, I hope your insurance is easy to deal with!
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Let's turn this thread around

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
That was your first mistake, I bet there was an auto parts store with a gallon jug of Rotella closer. Just kidding

I wish you a speedy recovery, I hope your insurance is easy to deal with!
I kind of started this off as a "oh, whoa is me" thread. I don't want it to be that. All the details will get worked out. I should have been better insured. I was kind of used to thinking of insurance as just a formality, like a tax, to ride, not something that might actually be needed and get used. Clearly faulty thinking on my part. Plus, I was pretty poor when I got the insurance, and just went with the bare minimum. I got used to being poor during the recession as I work in the building trades, and the recession pretty much destroyed my ability to make an actual living from 2009-2011, things started getting better in 2012. I'm not the only one affected by the recession, especially in the construction business. But building is booming again, I had just gotten very good employment (in April) was kind of in the process of taking care of those things that I let lapse when I was scraping by (health insurance etc.)

By the way, uninsured motorist coverage is required by law in Minnesota only on cars and trucks, not on motorcycles. So I didn't have it.

I'm gonna focus on doing what I need to do to move forward now. And deal with what I need to when it comes up.

Thanks everyone for there thoughts and well wishes. I really appreciate that. Good community here.
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
Steveo1o9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Call your insurance company. Ask them to help find out whether or not she has insurance. Your insurance company will because a bit if research is cheaper than paying.

I'd reserve getting an attorney as a last resort. They get 40 percent and the process can take years.
While this may be true the insurance company will try to screw you every chance they get to not pay for things, give yourself every opportunity to receive what you deserve.

Also it wasn't until my GF was in a very bad car accident last year that I woke up about the proper insurance coverages to carry.
Steveo1o9 is offline   Reply With Quote