User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Foreigner buying/selling moto in Indonesia

I'm flying into Bali in a couple days and will be riding around Indonesia for 3 weeks or so. I was thinking of renting a bike, but I was also thinking of just buying a cheap bike and then selling it 3 - 4 weeks later. (Or maybe stashing it as I go to Indonesia often.)

I'm a US citizen and wont have anything but a 30 day tourist visa. Anyone know the rules/laws for buying a bike there?

I was thinking KLX150. If it was Malaysia they'd go for about $3,000 USD new or $2,500 a couple years old. I don't know how the prices compare but was hoping I could buy a bike for +/- $2,500 USD and sell it quickly a month later for around $1,900. Does that sound doable in Indonesia?

Thanks
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Hi Rick,

Several months ago I asked a Harley salesman here in Jakarta, about whether or not it is possible for foreigner to purchase a bike here and if the process is difficult .

Here's what he told me: You can buy bike here in Indonesia, new one or used one. But, you won't be able to register the bike under your name, because to be able to register a vehicle under your name you must have a valid Indonesian id card. For foreigners, they can use their Temporary Residency Permit, which is their Indonesian ID card. This permit is issued to any expat working here.
So, buying a new bike, if you don't have Indonesian ID card is not possible. If you have Indonesian ID card, then you can buy new bike.

OTOH, you can buy used bike without Indonesian ID car, cause when you purchase used vehicle you can leave it under the previous owner's name. You don't have to register it (used vehicle) under your name. It's a common practice to leave the registration under previous owner's name and only change the registration to the new owner's name when renewing their annual vehicle registration.

BTW, a new KLX 150 according to Kawasaki Indonesia's site cost about Rp 23,2 million which is about US 2337.

Hope this helps,
Bob
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Thanks for the info Bob! Wow that's a good price... with the rise of the ringet (of fall of the US dollar) they are closer to $3,300 in Malaysia now.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote