User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
What's high mileage on a 950 engine?

Lads, I have my 640 adventure up for sale and have a bike on mind as a replacement that I'll go for if it's still there where the LC4 shifts. I'm 99% sure it's the one. The only issue is that looking at what's available it has the second highest mileage available. There is 25000 miles (40000 Kms). It is a standard bike from what I can make out in the add and from chatting to the dealer.

I don't want to sound stupid as I'm sure and hope that it's still capable of a hell of a lot more. Service history is good I beleave but I have travel to get this bike so what should I expect from a bike with that mileage.

Another I'm looking at has over 30000 miles and is second on my list.

Any advice welcome. Won't have extra funds to buy a lower mileage bike.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericGSsti View Post
Lads, I have my 640 adventure up for sale and have a bike on mind as a replacement that I'll go for if it's still there where the LC4 shifts. I'm 99% sure it's the one. The only issue is that looking at what's available it has the second highest mileage available. There is 25000 miles (40000 Kms). It is a standard bike from what I can make out in the add and from chatting to the dealer.

I don't want to sound stupid as I'm sure and hope that it's still capable of a hell of a lot more. Service history is good I beleave but I have travel to get this bike so what should I expect from a bike with that mileage.

Another I'm looking at has over 30000 miles and is second on my list.

Any advice welcome. Won't have extra funds to buy a lower mileage bike.
As soon as the periodic, service done it should be ok. But high mileage normally means spendings are near future. New chain,brake discs, clutches, even suspension or forks so you need to be carefull.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

Has anyone got a list of what should have been done at each interval so I can check it again what has been done and if you can what is due at the 25000 and 30000 mile interval so I know what my spends may be. Forks seal I'm told are good and the disc etc are supposed to be good. They said they will be servicing the bike with what ever is due for the mileage so I need to know if you could please.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Forks seals could be good, but how long was it since the fork oil was replaced?
Allot of ppl forget it needs to be changed every 2 years or 15.000km.

'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Forks seals could be good, but how long was it since the fork oil was replaced?
Allot of ppl forget it needs to be changed every 2 years or 15.000km.

Thanks for that. Exactly what I am looking for.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
I just had to pull my engine part on my June 2004 build 950 at 36,000 miles. I pulled the heads off but did not crack the case apart. The engine had developed a problem were it was putting engine oil in the radiator. We believe that this was actually coming from the clutch inner cover, which had mild warpage. The engine also smoked out of the rear cylinder on startup at times.

There was no appreciable wear anywhere on the engine on the key parts. The cylinders looked fine. One of the exhaust valve seals on the rear cylinder had failed and was allowing oil to drip into the rear cylinder if the valve was open when I parked it. That explained the random exhaust smoke. We found no problems at all with the heads or valves. We lapped the valves, put in new cam chains and guides (plastic guides were worn), reassembled everything, put on some new valve seals, and dropped the engine back in the bike.

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

So I take it from that replacing the cam chain and guides is a must?

Other then that if the engine isn't burning oil all should be good as long as services where meet on time.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericGSsti View Post
So I take it from that replacing the cam chain and guides is a must?

Other then that if the engine isn't burning oil all should be good as long as services where meet on time.
I had one cam chain guide that was worn. The others looked very good. We decided to go ahead and change cam chains, guides, and chain tensioners. Mostly just preventative maintenance while we had the engine part.

I think you'll find that the normal LC8 "usually" does burn a little oil. Some of the engines don't burn oil. My particular engine has always been good about not using oil. Don't worry if the bike has a history of using a quart of oil every now and again. That's normal. I would be concerned if you saw smoke out of the exhaust but would not otherwise be concerned with a little oil use.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
55000kms and ended up with a Pyndon Syndrome:

Might not be that common but if there seems to be an oil leak pointing to this and haggle the price down ALOT and hope its just a simple oil pressure sensor leaking.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,508
What is "high" when it comes to the 950?

The truth is, this is a question of which there is no definitive High Mileage = X.

It depends.

I have tore into a 950 with about 30k to do head/valve work, dropped in fresh rings and cam chains/guides while in there too.

There are bikes out there that are known to have greater than 100k miles and no major service work done to get to that point nor needed to continue beyond this mileage.

HOWEVER, as mentioned, there are limits to this engine, some are related to the base gasket area "Pyndon Syndrome" where the main case erodes and the seal is lost.

It really (REALLY) depends on what/where and how the bike has been ridden AND how well it has been taken care of while travelling this world of ours. I would say that a well maintained mostly road ridden US west coast bike, comfort zone is usually a easily 30-40K. 50K+ requires records to make sure its not spent.

ROAD/AirBorne SALT SUCKS! and it does BAD things to the bike.

Inspect the bike to the best of your ability, ask for records, ride it, go from there.... If the mileage makes you nervous, independent of the price, walk away, you will never trust it if your first impression is one that makes you wonder about the machine.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,230
Cylinders on my old motor looked brand new at 52,000 miles. You could still see the honing marks
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks lads. As soon as the 640 sells I'll go and if it's good using the above list and points of what to look out for I'll get the 950 SE R.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
HOWEVER, as mentioned, there are limits to this engine, some are related to the base gasket area "Pyndon Syndrome" where the main case erodes and the seal is lost.

It really (REALLY) depends on what/where and how the bike has been ridden AND how well it has been taken care of while travelling this world of ours. I would say that a well maintained mostly road ridden US west coast bike, comfort zone is usually a easily 30-40K. 50K+ requires records to make sure its not spent.

ROAD/AirBorne SALT SUCKS! and it does BAD things to the bike.
Might say that mine have probably had dirt and debris in the V between the cylinders since 2007 pretty much, hard to get it clean.

And they do use SALT on the bigger gravel roads in Sweden as a binder (not sure that is the correct word here), but reduces dust.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote