Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
markusarealuis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_brawner View Post
Any chance we could see a picture from underneath? I'd love to see how they mount and get an idea of how strudy it is.

Thanks!
It is a hassle to remove the rear fender to show you the bolts to the subframe. The Subframe (on this bike) actually comes out as two separate arms underneath the fender with one bolt screwed into the end tubing. This is where the bracket attaches to the each arm of the subframe. The mounting bracket actually ties the subframe together and makes it more sturdy in my opinion. I think Blaster has a picture of the subframe posted...i do not. Anyways the bracket attaches with two bolt that screw into the end pieces which are already tapped from the factory. A photo of the rack installed will not show any bolts from the bottom as they will be covered by the mudgaurd which is not removed for installation.

I will take some photos tonight and post them up here if that will help?

markusarealuis screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 10:12 AM
markusarealuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #32
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,698
License plate mount

So since I got rid of the rear fender which had the license plate mount on it I needed to do something. I could have mounted it to the piece of rear plastic which was left, but I wanted something a bit cleaner. So back to Sicass racing for a solution. I used their universal KTM plate mount.

It's well made, heavy duty, and they ship it with a lot of screws so you don't need to find your own. Nothing too special about mounting it just line it up so that you have maximum screw coverage and drill some holes and bolt it on....that's pretty much it.

The only other thing you need to know is that right now I don't have a license plate light....I don't do much if any riding at night so I am not going to sweat it. If I decide to put one on though I broke and LED trailer light a while back so I took it apart and it has a small cluster in there that I kept for moments like this. I will try to get a picture of the LED later and post it.

I also picked up an Enduro carry all bag from Wolfman which mounts on the front number plate....it's working out pretty well. Some guys say they don't want the extra weight up high which is not really a concern of mine but I would like to keep the weight off the bars so I don't have to fight the extra weight, so I will just be putting light weight stuff in it.

blaster11 screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 06:00 AM
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
j_brawner
Nashville, TN

Oddometer: 77
Thanks!! That's what i was wanting to know. I'm making the switch to this bike from a KTM.. where the subframe stops quite short of the rear fender. If i ever put anything back there it just bounced around all the time and i mostly wanted to know how far back those subframe rails went. Looks great!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusarealuis View Post
It is a hassle to remove the rear fender to show you the bolts to the subframe. The Subframe (on this bike) actually comes out as two separate arms underneath the fender with one bolt screwed into the end tubing. This is where the bracket attaches to the each arm of the subframe. The mounting bracket actually ties the subframe together and makes it more sturdy in my opinion. I think Blaster has a picture of the subframe posted...i do not. Anyways the bracket attaches with two bolt that screw into the end pieces which are already tapped from the factory. A photo of the rack installed will not show any bolts from the bottom as they will be covered by the mudgaurd which is not removed for installation.

I will take some photos tonight and post them up here if that will help?
07' Triumph Scrambler 900
74' Honda CB450
j_brawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
markusarealuis
Adventurer

Glad to help...

What KTM are you coming from? I thought about KTM before this bike...I have made some very necessary changes to the bike and I am becoming much more happy with it. Although i seriously doubt its use as an adventure type bike. The maintenance schedule is just more like a MX bike. Thank goodness I am now getting the performance I expected
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
j_brawner
Nashville, TN

Oddometer: 77
I've had an 03' 450 exc then after that an 05' 525 exc most recently. I just couldn't stand the sticker shock on a new KTM. $10,000 just to get started. I got the brand new TE511 for very close to what i was seeing most of the 3-5 yr old KTMs going for on the used market. I hope it suits what i'm looking for in a bike.. not necessarily an adventure style bike, but a very capable off road bike, with a plate on it. Sure i'd love to do a few weekend adventure rides, but i don't expect a pack mule out of it, or expect to ride it all the way across the country or anything.

So my new TE511 is at the shop getting prepped for me as we speak! I had them do a few things to it right away so that it would be ready to go when i get it. (fork/shock springs, JD EFI Tuner w/ power up kit, and FMF Exhaust) I'm looking forward to seeing how this bike goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusarealuis View Post
What KTM are you coming from? I thought about KTM before this bike...I have made some very necessary changes to the bike and I am becoming much more happy with it. Although i seriously doubt its use as an adventure type bike. The maintenance schedule is just more like a MX bike. Thank goodness I am now getting the performance I expected
07' Triumph Scrambler 900
74' Honda CB450
j_brawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #36
markusarealuis
Adventurer

Very capable....

You will be very pleased with the TE511 i believe. It has its flaws, but all in all it is a great bike and I got mine for a song
Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #37
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Wind protection

One of the next projects will be to install the headlight/windshield assembly off the TR650. Zipty racing has done one with the windshield/headlight assembly and the new gas tank from IMS and it looks really good and should be quite functional as well. I will have to figure how to get the picture since they seem to be blocking downloads of it.
http://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/graphic...01/8539549.jpg

blaster11 screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 06:25 AM
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #38
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,712
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #39
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #40
blaster11 OP
Enabler

I think I got it.

Seat concepts seat, IMS tank, TR650 headlight assembly/windshield, and TR650 front fender.....nice!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #41
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I think I got it.
Best looking "big tank" I've seen. Actually improves the looks of the bike IMO.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #42
iamstomper
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I love the bike you built, all good improvements
iamstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #43
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Looks like the tank is close to reality as ZipTy racing is starting to take pre-orders and they will come in either black or white/translucent. The tank appears like it is going to be 3.0 gallons and come with a Seat Concepts seat since things up front will have changed a bit. That would take the total capacity up to 5.5 gallons which should put me in the 200+ mile range. http://www.ziptyracing.com/husqvarna...ure-fuel-tank/
Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #44
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstomper View Post
I love the bike you built, all good improvements
If you are talking about the picture above that is the bike Zipty racing built for IMS, as I understand it, but mine will look very similar with a few more add ons for traveling.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #45
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 605
What kind of cruising speed can you maintain? I really like the TE511 and there are just some smoking deals on them but I am concerned that they will be winding out at 60. I would not expect to hit that speed frequently but there are some paved sections to the trails and connectors that would really be nice to ride at 65-75.

Also what kind of range can you get out of the stock tank?

TIA

SCExpat screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 06:20 AM
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote