ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
tuff enuff
Imported Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post

Change the tires with the tools you carry on the bike, that way if you get a flat at least you will have experience doing it yourself. The tire changer is nice to use but doesn't help if you get a flat out out in the field someplace.
+1

I think I know the source of his difficulty. The rear 17 inch rim on my 2000 DR 650 had a raised lip inboard of each tire bead rather like the "safety bead rim" of early Harleys. It was designed to prevent the bead from flopping into the well in the event of a flat but it made it a bear to break the bead loose without a bead breaker. I don't know if all DR 650's had that feature.
I filed the raised lips off to make it easier to repair a flat on the trail. After the lips were filed off it was the same as a typical dirt bike rim. With the bike on the stand I ran the motor at a fast idle in second gear and held a sharp file against the rim where I wanted the material removed. 5 minutes work and the offending projections were gone.
tuff enuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
PALMER84ONE
GRANDPA ASS

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuff enuff View Post
+1

I think I know the source of his difficulty. The rear 17 inch rim on my 2000 DR 650 had a raised lip inboard of each tire bead rather like the "safety bead rim" of early Harleys. It was designed to prevent the bead from flopping into the well in the event of a flat but it made it a bear to break the bead loose without a bead breaker. I don't know if all DR 650's had that feature.
I filed the raised lips off to make it easier to repair a flat on the trail. After the lips were filed off it was the same as a typical dirt bike rim. With the bike on the stand I ran the motor at a fast idle in second gear and held a sharp file against the rim where I wanted the material removed. 5 minutes work and the offending projections were gone.
No need to get that drastic, My SM610 had the 17's with that bead keeper. A little WD40 and 16" tire iron and it will slip right past it into the well of the rim. WD40 is best because it dries and doesn't reenact with water. Never had a problem once I figured it all out.
PALMER84ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
tuff enuff
Imported Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALMER84ONE View Post
No need to get that drastic, My SM610 had the 17's with that bead keeper. A little WD40 and 16" tire iron and it will slip right past it into the well of the rim. WD40 is best because it dries and doesn't reenact with water. Never had a problem once I figured it all out.
You carry 16" tire irons and a can of WD40 in your trail toolkit?
tuff enuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
John E OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Tire update...

According to the email from Revzilla it'll be here this afternoon. Gotta say I've been really impressed with their service, I've ordered from them 4 times now and so far the shipping times have been fantastic.

Got a last minute call for a job on Friday so I'm hoping to get the tire installed tomorrow or over the weekend. I know it's gonna be real hot from today until next week. I'm leaving on a 6 day ride on 07/03 and I'd really like to get the tire done and off my to-do list.

Anyone available tomorrow that can give me a hand? If so, what time works for you?

I appreciate all of the offers so far. Thanks.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,579
i'd be willing to help out, i'm in Rancho Cucamonga. 210/Archibald

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
John E OP
Studly Adventurer

All set...

Assuming the tire arrives, I'll be headed to Glendora later today to get it installed with some help from DSM8.

Thanks for all the offers. I'll keep you all in mind when I'm ready to upgrade the suspension on my DR...;^)

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
PALMER84ONE
GRANDPA ASS

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
You carry 16" tire irons and a can of WD40 in your trail toolkit?
No, I carry 10" adjustable (crescent), 8" tire irons, a little bottle of WD40. Crescent is used as extra leverage if needed but not needed most of the time.
PALMER84ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
+1

That's great info Dennis. I will remember that next time before I throw my irons at the tire changing gods!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,607
Eek Holy FUCK

What a doG damn cluster fuck of a nightmare to change that tire it has been on long enough for the bead to glue itself to both the rim and the safety bead we ended up going over to Tuckers to use the tire changer and even with that it was a huge pain.

But it is done, first and LAST dr650 rear I will ever do that safety bead was a bitch way worse that the one on the 990 or any other bike I have done. Fuck me with a hammer if I ever do another one!

DSM8 screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 02:58 AM
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
John E OP
Studly Adventurer

Ah yep...

I can't thank you guys enough for all that effort. All I can say is that I owe you big time.

On a related note, my rear brake pads disintegrated on the ride home...;^)

So I get to rebuild my rear caliper and throw some new pads on before my trip next week.

Good times...good times...

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,343
So tuffs advice on filing the lip away is accurate? I know I've been stumped on my rear tires before also.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #27
John E OP
Studly Adventurer

Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
So tuffs advice on filing the lip away is accurate? I know I've been stumped on my rear tires before also.
Or do what I'm planning to do, have a new rim without that stupid extra bead laced onto my hub.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #28
DSM8

Question

On a related note, my rear brake pads disintegrated on the ride home..

Wait...what?

A little more detail on that part please, all we did was use the clean tire iron to spread the pads apart to facilitate getting on the rear tire. I even hand pumped the rear pedal to get the fluid to push the pad back out to where they belong after the rear wheel went back on.

I dont understand how they would of Disintigrated post up pics before you disassemble anything. When was the last time the pads were changed, I didnt bother to look atthembefore putting the rear wheel back on but I did glance at their thickness and it appeared they had plenty of material.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
John E OP
Studly Adventurer

No worries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
On a related note, my rear brake pads disintegrated on the ride home..

Wait...what?

A little more detail on that part please, all we did was use the clean tire iron to spread the pads apart to facilitate getting on the rear tire. I even hand pumped the rear pedal to get the fluid to push the pad back out to where they belong after the rear wheel went back on.

I dont understand how they would of Disintigrated post up pics before you disassemble anything. When was the last time the pads were changed, I didnt bother to look atthembefore putting the rear wheel back on but I did glance at their thickness and it appeared they had plenty of material.

From what I could see the piston got stuck and the pads just got torn apart dragging on the disc. I got home ok, heading out today to grab some new pads and piston seals, maybe a new disc.

There's some visible corrosion on the piston that I could see last night, comes from storing the bike outside. I haven't done any brake work on it since I bought it, obviously it was due. This is one of the reasons we built a new workshop at home, so I'd have room to store the bikes inside the garage.

Thanks again to Dave and James for last night, I'm off to buy some parts...

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #30
DSM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
From what I could see the piston got stuck and the pads just got torn apart dragging on the disc. I got home ok, heading out today to grab some new pads and piston seals, maybe a new disc.

There's some visible corrosion on the piston that I could see last night, comes from storing the bike outside. I haven't done any brake work on it since I bought it, obviously it was due. This is one of the reasons we built a new workshop at home, so I'd have room to store the bikes inside the garage.

Thanks again to Dave and James for last night, I'm off to buy some parts...
Ah that makes sense we did push the piston back into the bore when we spread the pads, if you take it all apart and scotch pad the piston and the bore you should be ok, grease the pins lightly while you have it all apart. You can use compressed air to disassemble the caliper and get the piston out. If you need help you know where to find me (just leave the tires at home, not getting suckered into that again....)