User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 503
Mile 1985 - Part 3

Johann is still asleep, so I'll post a few more ....

Road to Telegraph Creek.... AWESOME!!!

River Views of the Stikine Canyon - Road to Telegraph Creek

Old Church at Telegraph Creek.

Views of the River towards Wrangle from the Cemetery at Telegraph Creek

More river views of the Stikine Canyon...

Jade City off the Cassiar Hwy

Fireweed - The Official Yukon Flower

Evening Lake View from the Cassiar Hwy

I have videos of much of this. Hopefully, when we get back, I will be able to compile them and post as well. The ride along Telegraph creek is the most compelling as the video really captures the feel of riding along the edge of the canyon walls.

Time to go... We will post more as time allows. As promised full narrative when we return....
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #32
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by luloadventure View Post
Great Photos!

... thanks for sharing
Thanks, glad you enjoy them...

Just posted some more while the boy is asleep. He is passed out big time... still in a deep rest.
Too much adventure.
I'll probably have to catch up on sleep a bit at a rest stop later today.

Stay tuned....
Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I just woke up from a fantastic sleep after being up all night from posting on here :) well, the decision has been made. We decided to take the Alaskan Highway to get to Whitehorse instead of taking the Robert Campbell hwy. I would rather take the Robert Campbell hwy just because it would be our first time on it and we have already taken the Alaskan hwy a couple times, but it makes sense since we are taking longer than expected to get all the way up here.

stay tuned...
Yukon Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #34
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Mile 2145

Yesterday, we didn’t get very far on the road. After we left the Air Force Lodge Hotel, we went to wash the bikes as my dad said we probably would. We got the bikes looking all nice and ready to get dirty again. While washing the bikes we met 3 more new adventure riders, one of them being a gal known as NomadGal on ADV rider. See her ride report on ADV rider called “Year on the Road. NomadGal was fixing a flat tire on her KLR. It was quite a sight to see 3 other guys standing around talking while she had her hands laced with grease. Another guy we met, Mike, was riding from Denver Colorado on a R1200 GSA. His goal is to make it to Prudhoe Bay as well. And yet, another interesting fellow we met was from France. He is in the process of riding around the world in 2 years. He is starting his second year on the road.

Interestingly enough, while washing the bikes, a thunder storm came in and drenched us. The sun came out and we all went over to a café, Kathy’s Kitchen, to get a bite to eat. It was great to hear everyone’s story and get differing perspectives on motorcycle touring.

We had to make the hard decision as to whether or not to make it a long day and ride all the way to Whitehorse, or just go half way and spend the night at Teslin Lake. We ended up spending the night at Teslin Lake with two other German Motorcyclist’s one of them is doing a charity ride similar to mine, still hoping to meet my goal ;).

Some pics....

NomadGal in good spirits.

Frenchman on a 2 year Adventure motorcycle quest

Washing the bikes with my dad

Mike, from Denver, on his way to Prudhoe Bay.

Sign Post Forest.

Mystery Machine in Watson Lake

Adventure riders come in all shapes, sizes and breeds
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #35
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Air Force Lodge in Watson Lake? DonnyO and I stayed there. I've forgotten the proprietor's name (Mike, maybe?), but he's one of the nicest guys on the planet. Did you see his Jeep Wrangler? Only guy in the province to have "Canada" as a personalized license plate - pretty cool.

As a fellow Denverite, I stared at Mike the GSA rider from Denver for awhile, but it didn't help me know him.

The bikes look ready for another stage. Keep the great pics and story coming our way. The Cassiar is BEAUTIFUL!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #36
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Mile 2705

Leaving Tok... Not much time to post. We had a loooong ,wet, rainy ride yesterday.

Leaving Whitehorse. This would be the most sun we would see all day.

It had to happen sooner or later.. This was always on my mind. Now it's my Dads turn.

One of the few pictures we took this day. One of the few dry sections of the road.

More later.... On our way to Fairbanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Air Force Lodge in Watson Lake? DonnyO and I stayed there. I've forgotten the proprietor's name (Mike, maybe?), but he's one of the nicest guys on the planet. Did you see his Jeep Wrangler? Only guy in the province to have "Canada" as a personalized license plate - pretty cool.

As a fellow Denverite, I stared at Mike the GSA rider from Denver for awhile, but it didn't help me know him.

The bikes look ready for another stage. Keep the great pics and story coming our way. The Cassiar is BEAUTIFUL!
Neat place to stay.. The Air Force Lodge. Yes, the owner's name is Mike. A great guy from Germany. He will talk your ear off.

Thanks for the support guys.... More coming as we get time.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
Epicurean Rider
Lost Journey

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Thanks For Sharing

I am following your story with great interest. I currently have two bikes in the barn, a BMW 650 and a R1200GSA. My son who is 15 has his eye on the 650 and we have discussed using the next few years to help him prepare and develop the skills for our journey from Maine to Alaska. When time and WiFi allows keep up the great posts!!
Epicurean Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #39
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Johann;

[IMG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RMgEwuXBUPs/Ud2sudFgQLI/AAAAAAAADcY/xGptnPKVlMM/s1600/Day11_July9_2013_0008.JPG[/IMG]
It had to happen sooner or later.. This was always on my mind. Now it's my Dads turn.
Hey Yukon J, Good to see you standing after the dump. Let's hope that your dad does not go over with his GSA....it is a big bike to lift.

Looks like you guys are having a great time, rain, bears and all...

Tim
TigerXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
...As a fellow Denverite, I stared at Mike the GSA rider from Denver for awhile, but it didn't help me know him.

Hello Grizz/Johann!

Mike from FC (Denver-ish) here - nice to meet both of you at the Watson Lake - "detail center".. It was fun standing around watching NomadGal do all that hard flat repair work.

I hit a couple days of rain too through Dawson City and the TOTW highway - holed up in Fairbanks tonight. I had a my tires changed at AdvCycleWorks early this afternoon and had thoughts of leaving today for DH, but the weather looked a little uncertain so I turned around just past the Hilltop station. Good call. Heading out tomorrow early AM.

Good luck to both of you in your travels - maybe we'll see you on the way up or back the Dalton!

Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

mtncrawler screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 10:22 PM
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #41
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean Rider View Post
I am following your story with great interest. I currently have two bikes in the barn, a BMW 650 and a R1200GSA. My son who is 15 has his eye on the 650 and we have discussed using the next few years to help him prepare and develop the skills for our journey from Maine to Alaska. When time and WiFi allows keep up the great posts!!
My best advice is to get him into a motorcycle safety class after he has driven a car a bit. Johann seemed to be a natural. But we took baby steps to get him there. He wasn't really interested at first.

When the time comes... you and your son will have a blast. I cannot believe how much fun we are having. More than I imagined. I guess my big let down will be when I get home and see the Credit Card bill So far, it has been worth every penny. Six months from now the bills will be paid up.... but.... the memories will last forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post

Hello Grizz/Johann!

Mike from FC (Denver-ish) here - nice to meet both of you at the Watson Lake - "detail center".. It was fun standing around watching NomadGal do all that hard flat repair work.

I hit a couple days of rain too through Dawson City and the TOTW highway - holed up in Fairbanks tonight. I had a my tires changed at AdvCycleWorks early this afternoon and had thoughts of leaving today for DH, but the weather looked a little uncertain so I turned around just past the Hilltop station. Good call. Heading out tomorrow early AM.

Good luck to both of you in your travels - maybe we'll see you on the way up or back the Dalton!

Mike
Hey Mike. we just arrived in Fairbanks. We are at the University of Alaska "Adventure Rider" Hotel
There are a lot of folks going up the Dalton tomorrow. Us included. The weather from Whitehorse to here sucked!!!

Regarding the bike wash... oh boy. We went through some nasty stuff at Burwash Landing in the rain. Our bikes look like we already rode up to Deadhorse. We could ride back home and tell everyone what a great time we had and it would be believable We did wash our riding gear in Whitehorse though. That was a waste as well. At least we don't smell like bug guts. We just look like we've ridden through s#!t!! and it stuck to us. Again, at least we don't smell like we look. At least that is what we keep telling ourselves

A quick check on NOAA says we should have 31/2 days of sunshine. I hope they are correct. We may see you tomorrow. For sure we will meet up again.

We plan to ride the TOTW and Dawson on our way back. If we have time. We want to try the Denali Hwy as well. Too much too see and do.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #42
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Mile 2940

Some quick pics of an otherwise wet day. We did see numerous moose and had to watch the road carefully through our foggy and wet helmet visors.

Delta Junction visitor's Center.. This is the host.

Feeling like I am in some old B&W horror movie

Dad was next. It's not what it appears. They were offended by his zipper. It was not closed. So they closed it for him. He has been scratching down there a lot this evening though.

Wet, but not broken. It was fun ride. We saw numerous moose. Had to ride slow and cautious in the rain.

The University of Alaska Student Apartments. Not bad.

View from our dorm room. A lot of other riders from Europe were there. They shipped their bikes from the U.K.

Time for bed. We take off for the road to Prudhoe tomorrow.

Yukon Johann screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 02:48 AM
Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #43
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
loving this ride report! I am so jealous. my 34 year old son could care less about a motorcycle even though he loved to ride when he was 4 :) You guys are very fortunate in so many ways. To have a wife and mother who is lettinig you get away with this is awsome--she deserves a paragraph :)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
YJ, you guys have been getting soaked! Hopefully the rain gods will decide to take a few days' respite as you ready yourselves for Prudhoe Bay.

mtncrawler, does this view spark any recent memories?

Dan Armstrong at Adventure Cycle Works is awesome! If any of you are in Fairbanks and need an oil change, tires, whatever, look him up.
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #45
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,012
Great Ride Report thus far! Every time I see pics of the Salmon Glacier it amazes me - what a fantastic adventure!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote