ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirespin View Post
I'd leave Leavenworth backtracking on the route I followed into Leavenworth until it joins (or is close to) WABDR, then follow that to Chelan.

From Ellensburg, I think you can get more off pavement riding if you go to Wenatchee instead of Leavenworth, then up 97Alt to Swankane Canyon.

Have fun, ride safe.
I heard Swakane has some logging activity, which you can ride around, but the road is pretty tore up (i.e. dusty as shite)
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
I'm in Wenatchee tonight and heading back to Chelan tomorrow, thinking of taking Swakane Canyon to entiat, I've never ridden through there before.

on my way to my brothers today I rode I bit up into Number 2 canyon. Pretty wet and muddy. I was enjoying ot. Never been up that way but I hit a junction that I think would take me to Cashmere. Got to some lookout area and turned back cause it started raining harder. Lots of fun on a detour I didn't plan on taking
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Yeah they are logging 7400 and 7415 area. Derby is normally my entrance canyon to riding from house but have been rerouting. It is pretty torn up and their gear is in the middle of the road last time I went through there about a week and a half ago. I am avoiding that area entirely until they finish. I have been rerouting 7500 or 7401.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I rode Swankane road to Entiat road, Chumstick summit, and thru to Fish Lake, last Saturday and Sunday. There was some logging equipment approximately here (47.626471, -120.455917), but at 9:30 am Sunday morning there was no workers, and it was off to the side of the road. Riding past it wasn't an issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #20
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Well I attempted to ride through Swakane Canyon to entiat, bit didn't have a map and just tried to wing it. I got up into the mountains a ways, about an hour in, past quite a few intersections. I got to this lookout area and had the option to go 3 ways. I felt like I chose a path that went north, I tried to stay close to the ridge and find a way over towards entiat. Followed that for a bit and took a right on another.junction which led me to a gate. It was closed. I went around it and continued for maybe another 20 mins before I realized I was just heading west, or what felt like west.

I turned around.and headed back to 97. It was still a lot of fun. I wish I would of headed out way earlier so I didn't run out of sunlight.

If anyone ever heads from Chelan to Leavenworth or that general area and doesnt mind a rookie (I cam definitely hang on some medium/intermediate stuff) tagging along one day that would be awesome.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #21
robdogg
turnip truck driver

man, do yourself a favor and get a map
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/okawen/maps-pubs

and maybe a GPS?

if you ride up this weekend there will lots of bikes up there. there are two different adventure camps staging in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Well I attempted to ride through Swakane Canyon to entiat, bit didn't have a map and just tried to wing it. I got up into the mountains a ways, about an hour in, past quite a few intersections. I got to this lookout area and had the option to go 3 ways. I felt like I chose a path that went north, I tried to stay close to the ridge and find a way over towards entiat. Followed that for a bit and took a right on another.junction which led me to a gate. It was closed. I went around it and continued for maybe another 20 mins before I realized I was just heading west, or what felt like west.

I turned around.and headed back to 97. It was still a lot of fun. I wish I would of headed out way earlier so I didn't run out of sunlight.

If anyone ever heads from Chelan to Leavenworth or that general area and doesnt mind a rookie (I cam definitely hang on some medium/intermediate stuff) tagging along one day that would be awesome.

CMA Fast Lane Forums
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 652
I thought this was Adventure Rider, how can you have an adventure with a GPS or a map?
T
KTM65SX, KX65
<><
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #23
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfox View Post
I thought this was Adventure Rider, how can you have an adventure with a GPS or a map?
T
This guy agrees
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroda_tadayoshi View Post
This guy agrees
and he got ate by a bar

:)

CMA Fast Lane Forums
Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #25
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Quote:
T
knowing where you are/where you want to be, and how to get back, and adventure, are not mutually exclusive

CMA Fast Lane Forums
Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
man, do yourself a favor and get a map
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/okawen/maps-pubs

and maybe a GPS?

if you ride up this weekend there will lots of bikes up there. there are two different adventure camps staging in the area.
Or a compass?
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #27
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

I wasn't planning on going up there when I left for Wenatchee. I wanted to take a detour on my way home to Chelan. So I tried it out. I had fun =]

I have a benchmark map on the way. Only other one I have is for Chelan ranger district. I can't wait to get more. Did I mention I had fun?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 652
Don't take me too literally...
I do tend to have several maps, a compass and GPS. I just hate having to follow them. I have on many occasions become very turned around (note, not lost!!!) and had to meander back following my gps trail.
Then I could tell you about how my gps batteries died one day and my spares were non existent... My wife still kids me about that short ride...
T
KTM65SX, KX65
<><
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
T
Rob can!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #30
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
and he got ate by a bar :)
Actually, he starved to death surrounded by food and was found, in the bus, by hikers. He felt trapped by high waters, and since he didn't have a map, he didn't realize that upstream the river braided and could have been crossed and downstream there was a cable crossing.
RIP, Alexander Supertramp: Willing but stupid.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote