ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Question Port St Joe (FL)... family trip

hey, guys. i have a family vacation trip planned. we're staying on the pennensula of Port St Joeseph at the state park the week of July 21st. We'll be spending one day on a rented pontoon boat inside the bay... but the other 3 are otherwise unplanned. if any of you guys are familiar with the area and know some places that are kid (2 and 1) friendly in and around the area of Port St Joe..... please pass it on.

USUALLY... i avoid the restraunt chains when we take a trip. i like to hit the good spots that sometimes get overlooked. otherwise... if you know some good stuff to do or see in that area, I'm all for hearing about it.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 10,870
Not familiar with the area but here's a bump for you!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Bart Jones
BGY 504

Oddometer: 877
St Joe Bay is beautiful, take a mask and snorkel and fishing rig. It's all kid friendly down there and very laid back. Don't miss Indian Pass Raw Bar
Bart Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

trip time is getting closer!

we should be able to hit this place up with no trouble. we'll be passing by at least in the way in and out.

still looking for any other tips.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,320
As far as staying in the st.Park,I always stay in the primitive area, that has a washer/ dryer /showers/flush toilets and the best of the beach and dunes.

There is a real grocery store closer to Port St. Joe. I don't really know about anything west of that store

Food, There has always been a restaurant leaving the park, but is usually under new management. New guys try harder and the food should be good.

St. George always has some good food and drink and usually some music on weekends and great st. park

Apalachicola has site seeing, food and shopping.

Pretty much there is beach to the south and swamp to the north.

You could also take a side trip to Vernon

Surf fishing is always fun.

Have fun what ever you do.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,825
i've hiked all the way around the peninsula several times while staying at the park. good beach combing. fun, but not a kids hike. the park is loaded with big deer if you like to shoot with a camera. bring a bicycle.

if you go over to Indian Pass for shrimp/BBQ/beer, don't risk a DWI, i've seen plenty pulled over on that road.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,935
I'd be tempted to take the pontoon boat up the ditch to the intracoastal waterway.

Yo, but I'd also be tempted to leave the 1 & 2 y/o's with grandma. Assuming the monsoon we are now in passes, you're gonna have to dunk 'em in sunscreen, and they ain't gonna retain much of what they see or do at the beach. Plus no better place than the beach for spawning. (for the adult members of the party)

But you didn't ax that.

I love Pt. St. Joe. It's an historic little place. As for Cape San Blas (or "Cape Sand Blast" as most of the locals call it, it has the distinction of being the fartherest point from an interstate highway in Florida, or so I've read. It ain't exactly convenient to a ER, either.
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

Duly noted on all accounts. ;)

wouldn't mind being able to drop the kids, but my inlaws cant keep up with a 1 and 2 year old. my parents are deceased, so we're taking them. We're watching that weather. hoping that it there will still be a window of clear skies open up when we go. (week of 22nd)

already located Indian Pass on google maps. its a done deal. neither of us drink much, but when one does the other usually does not.

i'm thinking of contacting the lady that runs Black Island Resort to see if its ok for us to drop in to walk the island... maybe have lunch or something. pretty pricey... but it looks interesting.