User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Negotiating Railroad Tracks on a Adv Bike

So I'm probably going on a ride tomorrow with some friends on an abandoned railroad. I've done some of this route before on a mountain bike and it is occurring to me now that there are a number of places that you have to ride inside the tracks or cross them completely. I know this route is frequented by smaller bikes (the people I'm riding with have ridden it several times on 250s and 400s/also a few videos on youtube of people riding it), but I'm thinking 990s aren't normally the first choice for this trail.

Any tricks for getting over tracks on a big bike? Seems to me like it may be kind of a chore.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,039
Here's the first thing I thought of:

Crush: Okay. Squirt here will now give you a rundown of proper exiting technique.
Squirt: Good afternoon. We're gonna have a great jump today. Okay, first crank a hard cutback as you hit the wall. There's a screaming bottom curve, so watch out. Remember: rip it, roll it, and punch it.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
That looks like a fun trail. I can't believe you are going to do it on a 990. Sorry I can't help with crossing the tracks, I have done it a trials bike but that technique might not carry over to your beast.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
....there are a number of places that you have to ride inside the tracks or cross them completely.
Crossing completely should be okay if you can get lined up at a right angle to the tracks. Carry enough momentum going in to make it over the second one.

From inside to get out could be a PITA on a 990 with its restricted steering range. Don't know how much you'll be able to get the front end turned before you hit the rail with the front tire. The theory is goose it to lift & lighten the front up a little, and go. Once the front is over the back will follow.

But I've not done yet it on my 990. Tell us how it goes!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
RR Tracks

I think you should not attempt this on that big of bike.
You will not be able to ride over, you will have to have your friends help you lift it over. the spacing of RR tracks is just the wrong size. I to ride Trials bikes and they are tricky even on my 150 lbs 280 pro. Also riding in the cobble that the RR uses is not a lot of fun. you will find out soon.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Abandon?

As a retired railroader, I would encourage anyone that rides a railroad track to be very sure they are abandon! Some may seem that way, but see very little use. Usually railroads of today take up the rails when abandoning. Mostly for salvage and tax purposes. Trains run on supply and demand concept. Never really know when the customer needs a product. Just be very alert!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,539
Shouldn't be any trouble on a 990 as long as you are mostly ninety degrees or so to the obstacle. I have easily climbed sixteen, eighteen inch steps and bigger on mine.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Shouldn't be any trouble on a 990 as long as you are mostly ninety degrees or so to the obstacle. I have easily climbed sixteen, eighteen inch steps and bigger on mine.
I think OP is more worried about riding in the tracks and then getting out at some point.

I think crossing rails like that with less-than-perpendicular rail/wheel angles is asking for trouble. And if you drop, your 990 is going to get rammed by the rail it falls on.

Like someone said earlier - I think your best hope might be to loft the front wheel over. Not sure what you do when the rear stays on the inside since it probably won't wanna bump over a slippery rail, at least not on a <90degree angle.

Not a rail but here's a log showing what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJnMaGMTXAU
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
You could build up some debri/rocks on both sides of the track and use them as ramps to get over. Again, trickier with less than a 90 degree angle. Try it slow and see if other's can spot you. Help each other out.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
So I'm probably going on a ride tomorrow with some friends on an abandoned railroad. I've done some of this route before on a mountain bike and it is occurring to me now that there are a number of places that you have to ride inside the tracks or cross them completely. I know this route is frequented by smaller bikes (the people I'm riding with have ridden it several times on 250s and 400s/also a few videos on youtube of people riding it), but I'm thinking 990s aren't normally the first choice for this trail.

Any tricks for getting over tracks on a big bike? Seems to me like it may be kind of a chore.
Yes, it will be a chore, but the technique is the same. Stand up on the pegs, get your ass back over the rear of the seat, line up perpendicular to the tracks and wheelie over them. The only real problem with this is "if" you fail and fall on the rails it hurts ALOT, and could even break large bones (think femur)

As far as riding between the rails, I used to do this alot as a kid we rode the tracks everywhere, interestingly the suspension smooths out the bumps better as you go faster, about 50mph and you'd never know you're riding on railroad tracks.

Be careful following other riders, especially if they are on big 2 strokes, KX 500s have been known to throw large rocks from the railraod bed
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,556
Call me a wuss

When riding between the tracks if I can't find a level crossing I stop the bike and lift one wheel over at a time.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,026
not really relevant to the OP's question of getting his big bike between the tracks so he can ride inside them, but a tip for crossing tracks that makes it a helluva lot easier...

line up so you are crossing on a tie, and not in between them. if you do that, keep your weight back (keep the front light...even in the air a little), and *stay on the gas*, you can pretty much just ride right over them. it's just a head game at that point.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,093
I recommend taking your bike out to a train track that has a paved sloped crossing near it. Try and ride over at 90, try and ride in and out while going towards the crossing, etc.
Just practice with that crossing coming up, so that if you can't get out at less than 90 degrees, you have an easy way out coming right up...

And just remember, when in doubt, throttle out....
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
I have opften thought about this with the big bikes, a pair of these slightly modified would make it easy to get over tracks in worse case scenarios.

Might have to get a pair and do a little playing with the Mig to see what I can come up with.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...cks-97130.html
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
I have opften thought about this with the big bikes, a pair of these slightly modified would make it easy to get over tracks in worse case scenarios.

Might have to get a pair and do a little playing with the Mig to see what I can come up with.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...cks-97130.html
instead of carrying ramps, if you really just need to get over it, and you can't make it....

You realize that there are thousands of little things all around the tracks you can make a pile out of right? I shall call them "piles of rocks"
put a pile up to both tracks from the side you are going, easy as pie...
then the polite thing is to get rid of the pile somewhat once your done so when the train goes by it doesn't explode rocks everwhere...
I'd prefer to just use hp and speed, but worst case, like your riding a sport bike or something over them..