Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #61
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
You always seem to nail it Al As usual great pictures.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #62
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,542
That looks like a really fun event. Much like the ADV stuff used to be. Beautiful places to ride.

ďWe are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fearófear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.Ē óĒExtreme Behavior in Aspen,Ē February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #63
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Great photos Allan. I'll be posting my day two in a few minutes and I wasn't trying to get photos of you until day four so you're going to have to wait a little bit to see what I got of you, if anything.

The wedding picture is priceless! I love the expressions on all their faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
That looks like a really fun event. Much like the ADV stuff used to be. Beautiful places to ride.

There are tons of beautiful places to explore in Wallowa Valley ~ come join us next year. Thanks for fixing the title for me.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #64
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Tuesday Ė My day two

Rainbow007, AirheadBruce and I went for a fun loop ride.

When Iím paying attention I take pictures of road signs so I can remember where I rode.

Rainbow007 was behind me snapping off photos so I have some with me in them. Rail Canyon Rd. is an easy well maintained road.

On to Armin Rd

I missed a turn and we had to turn around. Neither Rainbow007 or AirheadBruce complained since I told them the first one that did could take the lead.

Thereís the road I wanted.

Reminds me of Camp Creek Rd.

Typical for me I saw rocks on the road and down came the landing gear. I kept telling those darn feet to stay on the pegs but they chose to come down and tip toe through the rocks. Iíll pretend I didnít hear Becky and Bruce behind me laughing. At least Iím entertaining. No they werenít worse than they looked in the picture.

The feet jumped back up on the pegs where they belong, good feet.

Stopped to check this out.

I think we are on NF3940 here.
Rainbow007

AirheadBruce

Neither one of them ran me over.

If there isnít a sign available taking a picture of the GPS will remind me where I was.

Nice little country ride

We took a left on NF3930 and found flowers and nice views

Harl firetower at the end of the road.

We ate our lunch at the tower and enjoyed the views while Bruce complained about cramping smile muscles.

We headed south on NF3930 and it turned into a gravel freeway.

From there it was to McGraw Firetower

The ground was covered with wild flowers

Sightseeing

A quick stop at the Hells Canyon Overlook

And back to camp we went. AirheadBruce had a hot date waiting for him.

This is the loop we did, I think.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #65
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #66
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Thank you
Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #67
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,715
Looks like a nice ride. I've either got to learn to use a GPS (I hate my Garmin) or just follow LadyBug around next year.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #68
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
I really slacked on photo taking this year. Here are a few that caught my eye, though...

Some dirt bikes are not like the rest...

I liked these two also

Margaret and Brian have done a commendable job welcoming us to their corner of paradise

Terminal Gravity was good to us this year

And the sunsets .... photo does no justice

Thank you Ladybug, Margaret, Brian, Lears, AppleJam, MustangShelly, and all the others who work hard to pull this off.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #69
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post

For those that didn't already realize it. This bike towed my Te630 and me all the way from Dug Bar back to Imnaha after I broke down. Thanks Luke! Thanks Al and Sherry for picking me up from Imnaha. Joe and Neil for hanging around and beating off the vultures that were circling and Neil again for the trailer ride all the way back to Banks. Thanks to Brian and Margret, Jeff and Shelly and everyone else who made it such a great gathering again. I didn't capture a lot at the rally this year on the Camara, but I have a few good shots of the journey there that I will post up in due course.

Cheers Mark
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #70
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
For those that didn't already realize it. This bike towed my Te630 and me all the way from Dug Bar back to Imnaha after I broke down. Thanks Luke! Thanks Al and Sherry for picking me up from Imnaha. Joe and Neil for hanging around and beating off the vultures that were circling and Neil again for the trailer ride all the way back to Banks. Thanks to Brian and Margret, Jeff and Shelly and everyone else who made it such a great gathering again. I didn't capture a lot at the rally this year on the Camara, but I have a few good shots of the journey there that I will post up in due course.

Cheers Mark
I knew there was a reason you looked so tired

findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #71
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Looks like a nice ride. I've either got to learn to use a GPS (I hate my Garmin) or just follow LadyBug around next year.

1911fan
My Garmin and I get along farily well however it's an old one without so many bells and whistles to learn. I really need a new one but have been dragging my feet on updating. The one I have doesn't record tracks so that's a downside.

When I got back to camp I wanted to make a map of where we went and had to use my SPOT page to figure out a couple of the roads.

Now if you ever want to follow me be prepared to ride very slowly, not always know where you are and have plenty of fuel.

Idridr, nice pictures.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #72
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Wednesday Ė my day 3 Ė no riding to be done by me.

After two fun days of riding, Tuesday night it started raining and raining hard. Wednesday morning I woke up to a couple of inches of water in my tent. At least I had a good nights sleep and my therma rest kept me above the water and dry. I discovered the water when I got up and stepped in it.

Rainbow and I had a plan for what to do if it rained, we go geocaching in the pickup. Turned out it was raining so hard we didnít want to get out of the pickup long enough to go looking for caches.

We went to the Outlaw Restaurant in Joseph for breakfast and I enjoyed seeing the sleds hanging on the wall.

I would have gotten more/better pictures of the sleds but there was a table full of people giving me dirty looks so I went back to my table and sat down like a good little girl.

We went to a sporting good store, a grocery store, a health food store, and to an art museum.

The rain didnít let up it just kept coming down in buckets. . . . . Meanwhile back at camp people were still rolling in. ADV riders are a hardy bunch even a lot of rain doesnít slow them down.

It was nice having the laundry facilities there at camp they were certainly used, especially the driers.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #73
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Now if you ever want to follow me be prepared to ride very slowly, not always know where you are and have plenty of fuel.
Just my style, actually.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #74
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

I thought there might be more photos from the rest of the people but I guess everyone was too busy riding to take pictures and that is a good thing.

Meanwhile I was busy taking photos so I'll throw more out here and tell you all about my adventures this year.

Thursday Ė My day 4

With as hard as it rained on Wed. I wasnít sure I was going to be riding Thursday. I decided if it was drizzling I would ride but if it was still pouring I wouldnít. The weather forecast called for low 30s for the overnight low so that too was playing into the decision-making. I PMed Sorebutt Wed. afternoon for his phone number just in case I decided not to go since the plan was to meet him and friends in Asotin.

Rainbow007, Maxacceleration, AirheadBruce, and I planned to ride Rattlesnake Grade to Asotin to meet up with Sorebutt and ride back with him leading us on a fun dirt route. As I was getting ready to ride I saw a spot of blue in the sky so I was excited.

Just when everyone was ready to ride I make them line up for a photo.

The road started off a little wet

But the road was drying up as the miles passed

It was a bit chilly, so I wasnít taking pictures of the ride along Rattlesnake since I didnít want to let go of my heated grips.

We arrived in plenty of time which was my intent, I had about a 45 minute buffer built into our arrival time just in case something came up along the way. It also gave us plenty of time to fuel up and to have a cup of hot coffee.

The others showed up and it was time for fun.

Yep, Iím messing around taking pictures while others are waiting to ride, again.

Sorebutt took the lead and we all fell in behind him as we rode out of Asotin, WA

This is a road I hadnít been on before so it was fun seeing where it goes.
What are these two buildings?

The road narrowed and I knew we were headed somewhere fun.

The pavement ended and we got to ride this.

The views were beautiful and I crept up the grade slowly as I was enjoying the ride and views. As I got to the top of the grade I realized I was going to really be slowing the group down so I was going to head back down. I stopped to tell Mtnseker I was head back but he wouldnít hear of it, telling me my pace was just fine and asked me to continue on with them telling me the ride was going to be easier from there on. Those Palouse guys are a nice bunch but lie . The ride to that point wasnít difficult I just didnít want to slow down the group.

We were on fairly flat ground and my bike wasnít feeling all that stable so I stopped to let a little air out of the tires.

Until then I didnít realize how slimy the road was. When I got off the bike it felt like I was standing on a slick gooshy sponge. The tire tracks in the mud should have tipped me off that the ground wasnít all that solid.

I figured I did fine until I stopped so I decided no big deal and I was sure it would only be a short ways of slick gooshy road and besides Mtnseker told me the road would be easier from the top of the hill and we were at the top of the hill . Then I saw this in front of me.

The good riders were getting off the road, this wasnít good. I did my normal procedure, the landing gear came down and I duck walked to join the rest of them.

Turns out Sorebutt had dumped his bike in the goosh.

ADV glamour shot.

There was some discussion about what we might encounter ahead. Drone and Maxacceleration were sent on ahead riding on the side grass to see if we should proceed or if we should return.

Meeting of the minds. What a good looking bunch.

We heard Maxacceleration and Drone headed back then we didnít and we were wondering what was going on over the rise. Finally they were returning with Maxacceleration riding in the grass and Drone & Kriby in the sidecar coming down the road. The sidecar was slipping, sliding, looking out of control and like it wasnít going to stop. It was also headed straight toward Sorebuttís bike. Sorebutt headed to his bike and luckily Drone stopped the sidecar rig before it got close to Sorebuttís bike but it was tense for for a few seconds.

Apparently the road was much worse ahead and it was time for us to turn around. At this point we had three options; ride in the grass with the hidden surprises, ride down the road in the goosh, or ride the far edge of the road in the goosh with a little squiggle gravel on top of it. Maxacceleration took the lead in the grass telling me he would ride it in 1st gear and for me to just follow him. OK. I did that for a while but when we got where I knew the road wasn't too terrible I got out of the grass and opted for squiggle gravel covered goosh for a bit. No one hit the ground so all was good.

Starting down the hill there was no more goosh. Sorebutt, Maxacceleration and I stopped at a pullout and couldnít figure out why the rest of the riders werenít with us. Maxacceleration headed back to see what was going on and if he could help.

Sorebutt and I compared tires.
The Superbugís tire

The tire on Sorebuttís F800

That was after riding in the grass and a ways down the hill in dry gravel. With the mud caked up in that tire itís no wonder the F800 decided to take a dirt nap.

Here comes the other riders.

Drone with Kirby in the sidecare.

Rainbow007

AirheadBruce

Mtnseker

Glassman64

Maxacceleration

Since Sorebutt was already there I didnít get a picture of him coming into the pull out. Darn

The rest of the group decided to take another dirt route to Troy but they didnít know what they might run into with that route so I opted to head for the pavement. My plan was to meet the others in Troy for lunch via the paved known route. AirheadBruce decided to go with me to make sure I stayed out of trouble.

We headed down the grade.

Back to pavement

At the bottom we grouped up again. The main group headed left and Bruce and I headed right.

Yep, I know where I am

Followed the Grand Ronde River to Troy, OR

Lunch stop and waiting for the rest of the group.

Friends showed up and so did a few other people.

We had a nice lunch. The rest of the group had a challenging ride with the route they had taken to Troy because of the how wet things were. They were certain the grade to Flora was going to be fine so they were headed that way. I was skeptical so Bruce and I headed back out on the paved road. We heard the dirt road south was even worse so none of us wanted to do that.

Rattlesnake grade is always a good ride so I didnít mind riding it again. The views on the way back to camp were nice too.

Back at camp there were a lot more people there then when I left. People were mingling and having a nice time visiting with each other. Enjoying old friend's company and making new friends.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #75
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
Nice ride report Ladybug. I'm glad you were behind us so you couldn't get a picture of my bike taking a rest.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote